Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New apprentice gets off to a flying start

In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 14:45:44 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 11:05:28 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/01/2019 09:42, charles wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 12/01/2019 07:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Bit of a cheesey reply then. I hated those forms when you started a
job. There was an extremely high temptation to misinterpret things.

Qualifications always made me laugh as I have no formal ones at
all, and they often simply could not understand why I could do the
job better than their chinless graduate with a million 'ologies'
to their name. I tended to put common sense A in the University
of life. Brian

My dad was disappointed that he could not join the IEEE because of
lack of qualifications - he was on a number of (and chairing some)
BSI committees at the time!

why would he want to join an American institution?

I was a member of the IEEE once, they have pretty mags and it was free.

I did look at joining the IEE but I felt insulted that they wanted me
to answer two questions on their exam papers when they usually wanted
more.

So they were saying I knew more than their usual applicants but not
enough.

There wasn't any real advantage of joining anyway.

it's the IET now it change in 2006.

Yes, you now only have to be interested in Electricity to join,

We get free badges and other free stuff to hand out to the students.
There's various ways of becoming some sort of memeber I was asked and then they put me off by mentioning a membership fee.

I used to be a member of the Institute of Physics, but it did nothing
for me. I used the letters after my name precisely once (actually in a
Building Regs consultation response for Part P). One year, the IoP accused
me of not paying towards the end of the year. I checked and I had, but I
couldn't be bothered to follow it up, and it seemed like a convenient way
to stop the pointless annual payment.

In my industry in the UK, professional membership carries no status
at all. Status is all about your achievements and reputation, just as
it should be. It's those without either who tend to string the letters
after their names.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:16:05 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:43:01 +0000, charles wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Eh? Do you know what IET stands for?

yes, I'm a Member - and I got my 50 year badge some years ago.

Then I don't understand your comment!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 14:45, Bob Eager wrote:
Strangely, my CEng isn't with them, but with the BCS (they have good
coffee too).

So there _was_ a benefit to the BCS then... shame I almost never go to
London. I dumped my membership. Never used it. And as my degree is
Biology I could get CEng. Apparently what I learned over 3 years 40
years ago matters more than the 40 years since.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 22:00:38 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 14/01/2019 14:45, Bob Eager wrote:
Strangely, my CEng isn't with them, but with the BCS (they have good
coffee too).

So there _was_ a benefit to the BCS then... shame I almost never go to
London. I dumped my membership. Never used it. And as my degree is
Biology I could get CEng. Apparently what I learned over 3 years 40
years ago matters more than the 40 years since.

I go fairly frequently. In fact, I'm going on Thursday!

And I'm Chair of the Kent branch of BCS...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 22:00:38 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 14/01/2019 14:45, Bob Eager wrote:
Strangely, my CEng isn't with them, but with the BCS (they have good
coffee too).

So there _was_ a benefit to the BCS then... shame I almost never go to
London. I dumped my membership. Never used it. And as my degree is
Biology I could get CEng. Apparently what I learned over 3 years 40
years ago matters more than the 40 years since.

I go fairly frequently. In fact, I'm going on Thursday!

And I'm Chair of the Kent branch of BCS...

How does it feel when the morbidly obese sit on you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You seemto get through am awful lot of apprentices.

Does it only take 6 months to become a sparky these days? Or do they all die / leave before the end of the training?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
You seemto get through am awful lot of apprentices.

Does it only take 6 months to become a sparky these days?
Or do they all die / leave before the end of the training?

They run home to mummy when he tries to castrate them when
they are actually silly enough to tell him to suck their dick and
mummy buys them a flash new car to stop them cowering
under the bed screaming their snowflake little hearts out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 01:31:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 22:00:38 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 14/01/2019 14:45, Bob Eager wrote:
Strangely, my CEng isn't with them, but with the BCS (they have good
coffee too).

So there _was_ a benefit to the BCS then... shame I almost never go to
London. I dumped my membership. Never used it. And as my degree is
Biology I could get CEng. Apparently what I learned over 3 years 40
years ago matters more than the 40 years since.

I go fairly frequently. In fact, I'm going on Thursday!

And I'm Chair of the Kent branch of BCS...

How does it feel when the morbidly obese sit on you ?

Why do you want to sit on him ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting his
hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 20:07, ARW wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46827035

I predict a grim future for that nonce in jail...

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes
On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting his
hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

One hand working... good for electrical safety....

I had an interesting experience as an electrical engineering
apprentice.... final test bay for switchgear supplied to the Admiralty.
10kV insulation flash testing. Thick rubber mats and electrically
isolated work station.
Test probe probably had 1/2" of bakelite insulation. Touching the test
equipment with one hand perfectly safe..... unfortunately my elbow was
resting on the crock clip connecting the other side of the supply...

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 20:39:39 UTC, F wrote:
On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting his
hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

Or extra safety when working with high voltages.

Or any sort of 'working'. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 23:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On 15/01/2019 20:07, ARW wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46827035

I predict a grim future for that nonce in jail...

They are kept away from other prisoners. At the prisons I have worked at
they have their own wing (not the female prisons).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting his
hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

Or extra safety when working with high voltages.

Or any sort of 'working'. ;-)

Carrying 600x600x20mm cardboard boxes to the skip one at a time........

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting
his hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

Or extra safety when working with high voltages.

Or any sort of 'working'. ;-)

Carrying 600x600x20mm cardboard boxes to the skip one at a time........

Stuffed crust pizza?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 19:13, ARW wrote:

I have only worked with one of the three 1st year apprentices as you
need to be 18 for a lot of the work I do. But he was good at putting
his hands in his pockets when I worked with him.

Pocket billiards?

Or extra safety when working with high voltages.

Or any sort of 'working'. ;-)

Carrying 600x600x20mm cardboard boxes to the skip one at a time........

Stuffed crust pizza?

TMH introduced me to the hot dog stuffed crust pizza:-)

These were boxes from LED lighting panels we had fitted.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 19:14, ARW wrote:

TMH introduced me to the hot dog stuffed crust pizza:-)

Shocking! Why waste a hot dog and a pizza by mixing them?