DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PVA glue (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/629187-pva-glue.html)

fred[_8_] January 11th 19 03:46 PM

PVA glue

A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt action of the superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

harry January 11th 19 03:48 PM

PVA glue

On Friday, 11 January 2019 15:46:33 UTC, fred wrote:
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt action of the superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Never tried it. Give it a go and report back.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 11th 19 05:40 PM

PVA glue

fred pretended :
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and
then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt action of the
superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Water/moisture sets up superglue very quickly. PVA contains water, so
it would set near instantly, but likely quicker than you could bring
two parts together. PVA the parts, bring them together, then wick the
superglue in the joint - might work.

Graham.[_11_] January 11th 19 06:07 PM

PVA glue

fred pretended :
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and
then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt action of the
superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Water/moisture sets up superglue very quickly. PVA contains water, so
it would set near instantly, but likely quicker than you could bring
two parts together. PVA the parts, bring them together, then wick the
superglue in the joint - might work.

I've used superglue (for adhesion) and heat-sink compound on the same
surfaces, but carfully applied where each would have maximum effect,
not mixed together.

I can see how a wood joint using PVA and superglue might work using
the same principle.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ian Jackson[_9_] January 11th 19 08:34 PM

PVA glue

In message , Graham.
writes
fred pretended :
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and
then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt
action of the
superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Water/moisture sets up superglue very quickly. PVA contains water, so
it would set near instantly, but likely quicker than you could bring
two parts together. PVA the parts, bring them together, then wick the
superglue in the joint - might work.

I've used superglue (for adhesion) and heat-sink compound on the same
surfaces, but carfully applied where each would have maximum effect,
not mixed together.

I can see how a wood joint using PVA and superglue might work using
the same principle.

I would have thought that the heatsink compound would be guaranteed to
make the superglue fail to stick - but...... if you say so.......... !

--
Ian

Chris Green January 11th 19 08:54 PM

PVA glue

Ian Jackson wrote:

I would have thought that the heatsink compound would be guaranteed to
make the superglue fail to stick - but...... if you say so.......... !

I can't make superglue stick to anything so that would hardly be news.

--
Chris Green
·

John Rumm January 11th 19 09:35 PM

PVA glue

On 11/01/2019 17:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
fred pretended :
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA
and then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt
action of the superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Water/moisture sets up superglue very quickly. PVA contains water, so it
would set near instantly, but likely quicker than you could bring two
parts together. PVA the parts, bring them together, then wick the
superglue in the joint - might work.

The idea is you don't let them mix - just have a couple of small spots
of CA glue to hold it together while the PVA cures.

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Gaff January 12th 19 07:33 AM

PVA glue

I'd not want to be sitting on any of his chairs then.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

dennis@home[_6_] January 12th 19 09:49 AM

PVA glue

On 11/01/2019 21:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2019 17:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
fred pretended :
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA
and then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt
action of the superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

Water/moisture sets up superglue very quickly. PVA contains water, so
it would set near instantly, but likely quicker than you could bring
two parts together. PVA the parts, bring them together, then wick the
superglue in the joint - might work.

The idea is you don't let them mix - just have a couple of small spots
of CA glue to hold it together while the PVA cures.

I use a mitre bond activator with superglue, it really does stick in a
second or so.

AIUI anything alkaline will make superglue set fast while acids stop it
setting.

[email protected] January 13th 19 02:38 AM

PVA glue

On Friday, 11 January 2019 15:46:33 UTC, fred wrote:
A Youtuber claims to use PVA and superglue together. Lay down the PVA and then add superglue, Brting the joint together and the instanmt action of the superglue removes the need to use cramps . Really ?

I'm wondering how it's done. Wipe pva on one side except a centre area, dot of cyano on the centre of the other bit? Anything else & I'd think the cyano would meet wet pva rather than wood.

NT