Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical contact cleaners

Does anyone have a favourite product for terminals in battery boxes for
normal AA cells, etc? When I was a kid, my father used to blag little
capsules of an Electrolube product from somewhere when he was working at
exhibitions, and that seemed to work very well for this. I recognise
that the springs and flat terminals sometimes benefit from a mechanical
clean too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 12:17, newshound wrote:
Does anyone have a favourite product for terminals in battery boxes for
normal AA cells, etc? When I was a kid, my father used to blag little
capsules of an Electrolube product from somewhere when he was working at
exhibitions, and that seemed to work very well for this. I recognise
that the springs and flat terminals sometimes benefit from a mechanical
clean too.

CPC's "pro power" branded stuff seems ok... comes in a 200ml aerosol.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes in the old days they were based around a fast evaporating chemical
which was a CFC and hence banned now. All the usual ones work, electrolube,
Servisol and the RS branded one. Sadly one of the best I had was made by
Tandy, and I guess now its no longer around.
What not to use.
Do not use WD40, It seems to be no good at all, and some can damage
plastic, though it claims it won't.
WD I understand stands for Water Displacement, so might be good in car uses
where the electrics get damp.
I have noticed recently that battery connectors in portable gear seem
poorly made with no plating and also often dissimilar metals of the spring
and the rivet and the tag where the wire goes often making the connection
crackly, if for example inside a microphone.
Certainly some mild abrasive is good every so often on some of the
connections. Do not forget also the plus and minus ends of both batteries.

I did come unstuck with an older can of Servisol though. I put it in a
crackly 1 quarter inch headphone socket and it melted the plastic and the
contacts fell out.

I think its always a good idea to test the substance somewhere where a bit
of melt does not matter!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Does anyone have a favourite product for terminals in battery boxes for
normal AA cells, etc? When I was a kid, my father used to blag little
capsules of an Electrolube product from somewhere when he was working at
exhibitions, and that seemed to work very well for this. I recognise that
the springs and flat terminals sometimes benefit from a mechanical clean
too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2019 12:17, newshound wrote:
Does anyone have a favourite product for terminals in battery boxes for
normal AA cells, etc? When I was a kid, my father used to blag little
capsules of an Electrolube product from somewhere when he was working at
exhibitions, and that seemed to work very well for this. I recognise
that the springs and flat terminals sometimes benefit from a mechanical
clean too.

CPC's "pro power" branded stuff seems ok... comes in a 200ml aerosol.

I still like AF spray. It was pretty well the universal cleaner in TV -
even for things like tape heads. Safe on most plastics.

--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff brought next idea :
I have noticed recently that battery connectors in portable gear seem poorly
made with no plating and also often dissimilar metals of the spring and the
rivet and the tag where the wire goes often making the connection crackly, if
for example inside a microphone.

Almost all the battery terminals and springs I come across these days,
even in the cheapest gear, are formed from stainless. Any damage from
battery leaks, can be just brushed away with a toothbrush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Yes in the old days they were based around a fast evaporating chemical
which was a CFC and hence banned now. All the usual ones work, electrolube,
Servisol and the RS branded one. Sadly one of the best I had was made by
Tandy, and I guess now its no longer around.
What not to use.
Do not use WD40, It seems to be no good at all, and some can damage
plastic, though it claims it won't.
WD I understand stands for Water Displacement, so might be good in car uses
where the electrics get damp.

On the contrary, I find WD40 works fine - and it's something that any
respectable DIYer is likely to have about their person. The oily residue
kills corrosion - although if any has occurred, it's wise to remove as
much as possible first. I've never found it damages any normal plastics
(certainly not that used in battery holders etc) - but if in doubt, try
it first. [I've certainly seen white spirit (I think) make the acrylic
body of a nail brush disintegrate before my eyes.]

--
Ian