Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help needed - plaster / filler

Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various
recommendations. This is what looks like plaster or browning straight onto
breezeblocks. No plasterboards.

Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say just
use plaster.

Not sure what to use for the best.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/h9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ha
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 23:44, Shaun wrote:
Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various
recommendations.Â* This is what looks like plaster or browning straight onto
breezeblocks. No plasterboards.
Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say
just
use plaster.
Not sure what to use for the best. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/h9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ha
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hb

PVA inside of the hole or the water will be quickly sucked out of the
plaster or filler you use to fill the hole and it will crack up. Use a
50:50 mix of PVA and water and paint the whole inside of the holes. Let
it dry and just before applying the pollyfiller just give it a quick
coat of PVA/Water again.

You may want to apply two coats of filler, the first one to just below
the finished surface and a second thin coat level with the finished
surface. This will help minimise any sanding. You could use a finishing
plaster as the "filler"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Shaun" m wrote in
message ...
Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various
recommendations. This is what looks like plaster or browning straight
onto
breezeblocks. No plasterboards.
Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say
just
use plaster.
Not sure what to use for the best. https://www.homeownershub.com/img/h9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ha
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hb

It does look like the plaster isn't really sticking to the blocks
that well, so I'd go the PVA/polyfiller route myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 23:44:05 UTC, Shaun wrote:
Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various
recommendations. This is what looks like plaster or browning straight onto
breezeblocks. No plasterboards.

Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say just
use plaster.

Not sure what to use for the best.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/h9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ha
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hb

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fill
The substrate looks friable so I'd paint it with diluted pva first. Don't try to get a pva coating on the surface, just 1 coat of well diluted is fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 04:22, wrote:
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 23:44:05 UTC, Shaun wrote:
Looking for help. I have about 8 holes like the images and had various
recommendations. This is what looks like plaster or browning straight onto
breezeblocks. No plasterboards.

Some say, use pva and the pollyfilla then sand and PVA again. Others say just
use plaster.

Not sure what to use for the best.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/h9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ha
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hb

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fill
The substrate looks friable so I'd paint it with diluted pva first. Don't try to get a pva coating on the surface, just 1 coat of well diluted is fine.

NT

Ditto the use of PVA, but I would use Wickes one-coat filler
as a base coat then Wickes fine-surface filler on top.

why is the surrounding wall stippled ?.

Is this a textured coating or painted woodchip ?.

Either way you need to remove it (woodchip) or
having the entire wall skimmed professionally if it
is a textured coating.

matching that stippled finish will not be easy
(though my grandmother did some fantastic pottery
dinosaurs when we kids and used Grandpas aertex underpants
to make the stippled appearance.

One last point, is this Cornwall in a property made of
Mundic block ?. You need to keep this dry or it will
disintegrate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go with the PVA, seal with a very dilute mix and just before applying the plaster apply a second adhesive coat approx. 50:50. I would then fill with bonding coat 11mm at a time. Strike off any excess with a straight edge or Derby filling any depressions. Scarify the finished surface once set and apply finish whilst base coat has plenty of moisture. If you have to apply finish at a later date then seal the base coat surface again with dilute PVA.

One of those holes looks like the plaster on one edge is coming away from the wall, you need to enlarge the hole until you reach sound plaster. Using a hammer and chisel may cause more plaster to loosen and you end up replastering more than you wish. A gentler way of removing the plaster is to tap it to establish where it is sound and use a carbide blade in a multitool to cut an edge then use a decent scraper to prise away the plaster to your ground edge.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 13:07, Andrew wrote:
?.

Is this a textured coating or painted woodchip ?.

To me it just looks like a skim coat of plaster has just been
over-painted using a emulsion and a roller giving that subtle light
textured finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 12:07:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

It does look like the plaster isn't really sticking to the blocks
that well, so I'd go the PVA/polyfiller route myself.

You need your stupid senile Ozzie gob filled with plaster, senile Rot!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."