Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On 11/01/2019 12:38, Tim Streater wrote:

Given the ratio of sand to cement, they'll turn the
handle of the calculation sausage machine, and out will come that they
need 10,000 tons of cement and 250 grams of sand to build the next
house.

Even if the correct amount of sand, ballast or cement is delivered the
person shoveling the the different materials into the mixer will be the
thicko labourer who failed the education system and cannot get a better job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 13:02, NY wrote:

Definitely. If we'd been born with 12 digits, we'd have learned to count
in base 12, and we'd have invented two extra symbols for what in base 10
we write as 11 and 12. I can do base 16 arithmetic more easily than base
12, and that's partly because there's only ever one digit (numeric or
letter) in each column.

Possibly based on the industry you are working in? I was (am) a
electronic hardware designer and used base 16 extensively.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 11:49, alan_m wrote:
On 11/01/2019 11:03, FMurtz wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Always been 4 be 2 here.

I just posed the question in Australian woodwork Forums (which is full
of woodwork people and carpenters) and overwhelmingly 4x2 (only one
dissenter)

But are the actual dimensions of what you buy 4 inches by 2 inches?Â* In
my experience over 40+ of purchasing wood for DIY it has always been
smaller, albeit sold as 4x2.

Doesn't the 4x2 refer to the *sawn* size, and planed wood is always less?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet
sold in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Always been 4 be 2 here.

Bull****.

In my circle I have never heard 2x4 from anyone but yanks

Then you need a new circle, bad.

I just posed the question in Australian woodwork Forums (which is full of
woodwork people and carpenters) and overwhelmingly 4x2 (only one
dissenter)

Whoops, sorry, I had a massive brain fart there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in
metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

my carpenter tradesperson, who can't be over 35, calls 50 by 50mm - 2 by 2

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/01/2019 10:59, newshound wrote:

And credit for being prepared to spend a bit more.

This one has his own cordless Dewalt SDS, combi and impact driver set.

And I can assure you that his parents did not pay for it.

A third year (so only 3 months into his third year) that can easily do a
rewire or a new build pretty much on his own.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 11/01/2019 10:59, newshound wrote:

And credit for being prepared to spend a bit more.

This one has his own cordless Dewalt SDS, combi and impact driver set.

And I can assure you that his parents did not pay for it.

A third year (so only 3 months into his third year) that can easily do a
rewire or a new build pretty much on his own.

currently spending time with trades, I have to say that sparky looks like
the best choice for people who are minded to consider trades in the first
place

It's relative clean and warm job and it pays reasonably well. I paid my
sparky the same for 3 man days work as the kitchen fitters got for 12,
admittedly that did include materials, whereas I paid extra for the kitchen

tim

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
writes
On 11/01/2019 13:02, NY wrote:

Definitely. If we'd been born with 12 digits, we'd have learned to
count in base 12, and we'd have invented two extra symbols for what
in base 10 we write as 11 and 12. I can do base 16 arithmetic more
easily than base 12, and that's partly because there's only ever one
digit (numeric or letter) in each column.

Possibly based on the industry you are working in? I was (am) a
electronic hardware designer and used base 16 extensively.

It was computers wot did it.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:16:50 UTC, NY wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

If they've got to 16 or 18 without realising there are imperial
measurements, I doubt they're about to get any knowledge anywhere.

I can imagine that nowadays, the imperial system is dismissed with a few
throwaway phrases like "Years ago, there used to be other units called feet,
inches, ounces, pounds etc, but they were a pain to work with because they
were related by conversion factors that weren't 10. Be aware that they
exist, and be prepared to convert to/from them if necessary, but treat them
as folk units."

Sure, but even a clueless consumer comes across imperial units frequently on food, cosmetics, etc etc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:26:23 UTC, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I remember that I bought some from Tandy once. There seemed to be a lot of
keys I thought, and as you say, when I checked we had both imperial and
metric. Obviously, Tandy being a US company had sourced sets with all the
keys in all the places it sold.
The keys were fine, but the way of attaching tem to the large ring they
were on was cruddly a kind of coiled spring around the hex , which meant
you could take them off of course, but it was a sod of a job to put them
back again which in the end meant a lot of them got lost!

Yes those Allen keys on springs are a pain. The best set of Allen keys I
have has them all attached to a common shaft on a hand-sized handle. You
fold out the one you want and have a nice big handle to use to turn it. I
still use the small spring ones if I need to work in a confined space, but
the ones on a handle are much easier for everything else.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NwL238b/Img-1753-small.jpg (that's a photo of the
Allen key set)

Yes it is a real sod trying to fit Allen keys back into their springs.

They're easy, just rotate the allen key one way to release it or get it back in the spring. Which way? Whichever way tends to expand the spring widthwise.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:28:38 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 19:51:20 +1100, FMurtz
wrote:

In my circle I have never heard 2x4 from anyone but yanks

Agreed.

It's that in just the same way it's not 'chips and fish' or 'brush and
dustpan' (or a 'Robin Reliant'). ;-)

But then the Yanks are a bit backward like that ... calling something
that is obviously a liquid, 'gas'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Whereas everyone knows it's a brushpan & dust.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 13:24:41 UTC, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message

I read an article recently arguing that base 12 would be better than 10
because it has more factors.

Definitely. If we'd been born with 12 digits, we'd have learned to count in
base 12, and we'd have invented two extra symbols for what in base 10 we
write as 11 and 12. I can do base 16 arithmetic more easily than base 12,
and that's partly because there's only ever one digit (numeric or letter) in
each column.

Decimal is trivial to divide by 2 or 5. Base 12 is trivial to divide by 6, 4, 3, 2. And that's why humans have used base 12 so much. Nothing to do with number of digits, it's not as if counting to 12 presents any difficulty to anyone.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 11:35, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Having been schooled in imperial measurements with metrication coming in during my student days, I tend to use both, imperial where I need to divide lengths in halves, quarters or eights which in metric soon ends up in measurements needing to be calculated and often involving fractions of a mm.

In defence of schools teaching only metric measurements, imperial is going nowhere so why teach something that will only add to confusion. After all was it not NASA that missed Mars because someone mixed up imperial and metric, so if some of the top scientists and engineers can confuse things what chance have kids got.

An awareness of imperial is needed but only in those areas of work where legacy products exist and in those cases it is beholding on the industries involved to train their operatives in the skills required.

Richard

I was taught only metric at school, but use both. I prefer metric for
calculations, but imperial for real-world measurements.

I can visualise imperial measurements better than metric and they match
everyday life better (a pint or half-pint to drink, a pound of meat for
a stew, etc.).

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 12:36, bert wrote:
In article , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
Â* "FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet
sold in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Always been 4 be 2 here.
Â*Bull****.

In my circle I have never heard 2x4 from anyone but yanks

Well they even get their dates wrong way round

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 23:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 11/01/2019 12:36, bert wrote:

Well they even get their dates wrong way round

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

This is a human-oriented date. Use for any human interaction.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

A computer oriented date. Use internally if you must, personally I
store all computer generated dates as seconds since the epoch.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

It doesn't.

I think it's because people (including us) often say, "January the 11th,
2018," and the US version is the number version of this.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 13:45, NY wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
Everyone should be able to do mental arithmetic, and even more
importantly, be able to quickly work out an approximate answer to a
calculation, which will tell you whether your final calculation is
*reasonable*.

I wish I'd been taught how to do *mental* arithmetic and how to process
the carry/borrow digits and to retain a mental running total. I never
was: I was taught how to do it on paper, with rules for
carrying/borrowing digits which I can do fine (albeit slowly and
laboriously).

My wife worked in a bakery as a summer job during school, so she quickly
became adept at adding up prices of five doughnuts at 13p each, two
loaves of bread at 27p each, 7 seven flapjacks at 17p each, *without
having to write it down and add up on paper*. I marvel at that skill.

You need to develop shortcuts.

5 x 13 = 50 + 15 = 65
2 x 27 = 40 + 14 or 60 - 6 = 54
65 + 54 = 110 + 9 = 119
7 x 17 = 7 x 20 - 21 or 70 + 49 = 119
119 + 119 = 120 + 120 - 2 = 238

The more you do though, the less you need the shortcuts as you begin to
recognise that 2 x 27 is 54 and similar without any intermediate stage.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 21:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 21:08:43 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 10/01/2019 19:55, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:15:24 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having
trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new
builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a **** set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on
Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available
as I don't want **** tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Imperial vs metric?

+1

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is
now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the
markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

Why should they come back? If a reference to Brexit; decimalisation was
before entry into the EEC and even countries like the USA are steadily
moving towards metrification and SI units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

If they've got to 16 or 18 without realising there are imperial
measurements, I doubt they're about to get any knowledge anywhere.

I can imagine that nowadays, the imperial system is dismissed with a few
throwaway phrases like "Years ago, there used to be other units called
feet,
inches, ounces, pounds etc, but they were a pain to work with because
they
were related by conversion factors that weren't 10. Be aware that they
exist, and be prepared to convert to/from them if necessary, but treat
them
as folk units."

Sure, but even a clueless consumer comes across imperial units frequently
on food, cosmetics, etc etc.

But not much at all in an elections' line of work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

I was taught both, metric for the hard sciences.

but use both.

I hardly ever use imperial anymore except where the
original imperial size has just restated in metric units

I prefer metric for calculations,

I prefer metric for almost everything now.
The main thing I still think in imperial for is
the height of individuals. I dont with weight.

I also think of house block sized in feet but that
just because I remember mine is 150'x100'

but imperial for real-world measurements.

I can visualise imperial measurements better than metric and they match
everyday life better (a pint or half-pint to drink,

I dont with beer, think in terms of 750ml full
beer bottles and what we call stubbys, 375ml
although there are plenty smaller than 375ml
now with the small ones and cans.

Think in terms of 500ml and 1l with soft drink.

a pound of meat for a stew, etc.).

Exclusively KG for me.

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

Sure, but I hardly ever need to do that. And I hate
the other measures like cups, teaspoons etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 11/01/2019 12:36, bert wrote:
In article , FMurtz
writes
Rod Speed wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:54, soup wrote:

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet
sold in metre lengths so you get things like :-

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Always was and still is here.

Always been 4 be 2 here.
Bull****.
In my circle I have never heard 2x4 from anyone but yanks

Well they even get their dates wrong way round

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

Because thats the way many say dates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Not really with the units the general public uses. And they dont have
much in the way of the weirder ones like roods, perches, bushels,
furlongs etc. Really just grains with ammunition and bullets etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/01/2019 12:36, bert wrote:

Well they even get their dates wrong way round

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

This is a human-oriented date. Use for any human interaction.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

A computer oriented date. Use internally if you must, personally I
store all computer generated dates as seconds since the epoch.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

It doesn't.

It does if you say a date like July 5th. Have you never used such a
written format. Mind, I haven't for a long time, but hey.

My preferred format for computer files is yy-mm-dd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

furlongs etc.Â* Really just grains with ammunition and bullets etc.

Furlongs? I thought everyone knew you get 10 cricket pitches in a furlong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
NY wrote:
Yes it is a real sod trying to fit Allen keys back into their springs.

Easy if you turn the right way,sort of screw them in

Ah. I'll try that.

Talking of tools which are a pain, how about those sets of miniature
screwdrivers for jewellers and precision engineering. Firstly the blades
(especially the Philips/Posidriv cross-ended ones) are made of very soft
metal so they get chavelled up as you use them. Secondly, the handles
are so thin and with such shallow knurls on them that you can't get a
good purchase on them in your hand: Often I have to resort to a pair of
pliers around the handle to undo a screw that doesn't want to budge.

And you have to remember that for anything Japanese, they have special
drivers JIS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Why should they come back? If a reference to Brexit; decimalisation was
before entry into the EEC and even countries like the USA are steadily
moving towards metrification and SI units.

Not really with the units the general public uses. And they dont have
much in the way of the weirder ones like roods, perches, bushels,
furlongs etc. Really just grains with ammunition and bullets etc.

Furlongs? I thought everyone knew you get 10 cricket pitches in a furlong.

They dont have cricket pitches, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

You probably don't, however this is a UK group and we do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_pitch

What a plonker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Pity that post is discussing what the USA does units wise.

What a plonker.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it,
****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Are you ****ed? The discussion was about a UK apprentice using Allen/hex
keys bought in the UK used on metric equipment and then some kind of
reversion to £sd and feet inches and roods.

What a plonker.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it,
****wit.

The only ****wit here is the one who thinks I have a signature. You give
P.Hucker a good name. At least he can't afford drink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Are you ****ed?

No point in asking you if you are ****ed
and drug crazed. the answer is obvious.

The discussion was about a UK apprentice using Allen/hex keys bought in
the UK used on metric equipment and then some kind of reversion to £sd and
feet inches and roods.

If you werent actually ****ed and drug crazed, even a
terminal ****wit such as yourself should have noticed
that the particular post I chose to comment on had moved
on from that to discussing what happens in the USA.

What a plonker.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it,
****wit.

reams of your even sillier ****wit **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/01/2019 19:40, tim... wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
On 11/01/2019 10:59, newshound wrote:

And credit for being prepared to spend a bit more.

This one has his own cordless Dewalt SDS, combi and impact driver set.

And I can assure you that his parents did not pay for it.

A third year (so only 3 months into his third year) that can easily do
a rewire or a new build pretty much on his own.

currently spending time with trades, I have to say that sparky looks
like the best choice for people who are minded to consider trades in the
first place

It's relative clean and warm job and it pays reasonably well.Â* I paid my
sparky the same for 3 man days work as the kitchen fitters got for 12,
admittedly that did include materials, whereas I paid extra for the kitchen

If that is what you think then you are totally wrong.

I often come home so dirty that I need a shower before I am clean enough
to have a bath (you need the bath to soak out the rest of the dirt). In
winter despite wearing thermal clothing sometimes I need an hour to
defrost. In fact if I know I am going to be cold then I often drive to
work with the van heater on low.

Try pulling in SWA or fitting lampposts outside when it is ****ing it
down or snowing.

Second year apprentice quit yesterday because he could not cope with the
dirt/dust/cold and he has not even done a proper dirty job or worked
through a cold winter.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 23:25:09 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
it's not as if counting to 12 presents any difficulty to anyone.
It does if you count on your fingers.

Base 10 doesn't really make sense with fingers. It should be base 11. 10 fingers then carry.

If you want to do base 12, borrow a couple of ears or eyes.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 12:33:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I was

LOL

I hardly

LOL

I prefer

LOL

I also

LOL

I can

LOL

You still wondering why you got NOBODY to talk to in real life, you senile
nutter? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 12:35:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

Because that¢s the way many say dates.

TWO people answered that already earlier, senile Rot! Just what makes you
"think" that an answer only becomes valid once YOU confirm it? What does
your psychiatrist have to say about this?

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 17:34:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

wrote:

On 10/01/19 19:10, ARW wrote:
[...]

Feeling better again, you abnormal cantankerous senile Ozzie troll? Admit
it, trolling is the ONLY thing for you that makes you feel ANYTHING AT ALL!

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 22:53, Steve Walker wrote:

a stew, etc.).

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

SteveW

What's different about 1/3 kg and 1/3 pound?
You should be able to handle either with ease.

Ones 333.333333* grams and the other is 6.6666* ounces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I was taught only metric at school, but use both. I prefer metric for
calculations, but imperial for real-world measurements.

I can visualise imperial measurements better than metric and they match
everyday life better (a pint or half-pint to drink, a pound of meat for
a stew, etc.).

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

Quite.

Despite trying to convert, I still find yards feet and inches easier to
use for DIY round the house than metric. I reckon it interfaces with the
human brain better. Of course those who've only ever used metric wouldn't
understand this.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2019 02:09, Fredxx wrote:

Furlongs? I thought everyone knew you get 10 cricket pitches in a furlong.

You mean wickets not pitches.
A cricket oval is somewhat larger than a chain.

Just shows how confusing the old stuff was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

On 11/01/2019 22:53, Steve Walker wrote:

a stew, etc.).

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

SteveW

What's different about 1/3 kg and 1/3 pound?
You should be able to handle either with ease.

Ones 333.333333* grams and the other is 6.6666* ounces.

You seem to be thinking of pints rather than pounds!
--

Roger Hayter