Old January 13th 19, 03:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I was taught only metric at school, but use both. I prefer metric for
calculations, but imperial for real-world measurements.

I can visualise imperial measurements better than metric and they match
everyday life better (a pint or half-pint to drink, a pound of meat for
a stew, etc.).

Imperial also divides up nicely into 1/4s and 1/3s.

Quite.

Despite trying to convert, I still find yards feet and inches easier to
use for DIY round the house than metric. I reckon it interfaces with the
human brain better.

Yes, the metre is fine, close enough to a yard to allow easy visualisation
but there isn’t any foot like equivalent and the cm is a bit of a bodge.

Of course those who've only ever used metric wouldn't
understand this.

Old January 13th 19, 04:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 23:25:09 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 11/01/2019 22:21, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 11 January 2019 13:24:41 UTC, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message

I read an article recently arguing that base 12 would be better than 10
because it has more factors.

Definitely. If we'd been born with 12 digits, we'd have learned to count in
base 12, and we'd have invented two extra symbols for what in base 10 we
write as 11 and 12. I can do base 16 arithmetic more easily than base 12,
and that's partly because there's only ever one digit (numeric or letter) in
each column.

Decimal is trivial to divide by 2 or 5. Base 12 is trivial to divide by 6, 4, 3, 2. And that's why humans have used base 12 so much. Nothing to do with number of digits, it's not as if counting to 12 presents any difficulty to anyone.

It does if you count on your fingers.

If you're so innumerate that you need to use your fingers to count then the finer points of imperial v metric are immaterial. What percentage of people can't count without using their fingers anyway?

NT
Old January 13th 19, 04:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 January 2019 02:09:32 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 12/01/2019 01:41, Rod Speed wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 21:23, Jethro_uk wrote:

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

Why should they come back? If a reference to Brexit; decimalisation
was before entry into the EEC and even countries like the USA are
steadily moving towards metrification and SI units.

Not really with the units the general public uses. And they don’t have
much in the way of the weirder ones like roods, perches, bushels,
furlongs etc.* Really just grains with ammunition and bullets etc.

Furlongs? I thought everyone knew you get 10 cricket pitches in a furlong..

How long can a cricket pitch anyway?

NT
Old January 13th 19, 04:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 02:34:48 UTC, BillD wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Despite trying to convert, I still find yards feet and inches easier to
use for DIY round the house than metric. I reckon it interfaces with the
human brain better.

Yes, the metre is fine, close enough to a yard to allow easy visualisation
but there isn’t any foot like equivalent and the cm is a bit of a bodge.

there's the metric foot or 30cm

NT
Old January 13th 19, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY
wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
newshound wrote:
On 12/01/2019 17:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2019 13:51, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
SO why isn't the clock metric? I still have my Casio calculator
from the 70s which could work in hrs and mins.

I remember seeing articles in magazines which discussed in all
seriousness whether the world should devise new units of 50 metric
seconds in a metric minute, 50 of those minutes in a metric hour
and 25 metric hours in a day. Or some such calculation which
resulted in a metric second being *reasonably* close to a real
second.

I remember an A level physics practical demo that was screwed up by
some kind of centi minute stopwatch the lab tech gave out...
Basically it meant when it said what we thought was ten seconds had
passed, it had actually only been six.

In my research days, when we were typically running experiments for a
week or two, one of my colleagues suggested that we should use the
microfortnight as a unit of time. (Check out what it corresponds to).

fairly close to a second, but I've never done the arithmetic

Was that a guess? If so, I'm impressed. It actually works out as 1.2
seconds.

No - a memory of a conversation in the late 1960s.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old January 13th 19, 10:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 13:51, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
[...]

One of our old physics books (published by Mills & Boon oddly enough)
mentioned a process that used a measurement of a foot-pound per
pennyweight fortnight!

On of our university lecturers suggested we measure viscosity in "Acres per
year" (L^2/T)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 13th 19, 11:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 January 2019 23:52:43 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
One of our old physics books (published by Mills & Boon oddly enough)
mentioned a process that used a measurement of a foot-pound per
pennyweight fortnight!

Page 133 onwards of this gives tables of so many obscure measurements my head hurts, and it's intended to be *helpful*

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=..._toc_r&ca d=4

Owain

Old January 13th 19, 11:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On 13 Jan 2019 02:34:45 GMT, BillDcantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Despite trying to convert, I still find yards feet and inches easier to
use for DIY round the house than metric. I reckon it interfaces with the
human brain better.

Yes, the metre is fine, close enough to a yard to allow easy visualisation
but there isnt any foot like equivalent and the cm is a bit of a bodge.

It's just a problem with seniles like you and him, senile Rot!
Old January 13th 19, 11:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:51:22 -0800 (PST), , an especially
retarded, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

there's the metric foot or 30cm

NT

What's this with you and your addiction to suck off any troll that comes
running up, senile idiot?
Old January 13th 19, 11:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 03:40:26 UTC, wrote:
What percentage of people can't count without using their fingers anyway?

Quite a lot.

22% of fifteen year olds in this country are functionally innumerate.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...in-mathematics

This is one reason why pound shops are popular with poor, and poorly-educated, people. They find it easier to work out how many things they can buy with this week's "giro".

Owain