DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resin 'paving'. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/629161-resin-paving.html)

R D S[_2_] January 10th 19 07:00 PM

Resin 'paving'.

I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

charles January 10th 19 07:19 PM

Resin 'paving'.

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

DerbyBorn[_5_] January 10th 19 07:36 PM

Resin 'paving'.

charles wrote in
:

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil
pipe so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the
resin stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives
need to be permeable.

Pehaps worth sorting out the manholes - not as big a job as you may fear.

ARW January 10th 19 07:46 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 10/01/2019 18:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

That might apply to new builds but as a replacement for an existing
concrete slab?

--
Adam

Jeff Layman[_2_] January 10th 19 07:49 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 10/01/19 18:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Maybe if you are doing one from scratch, but what if you are replacing
one impermeable surface (concrete) by another (resin)? Is there a
difference if the resin in laid on top of the concrete, or the concreter
removed first and the resin laid on a prepared base? If the latter, do
the base and resin have to be permeable?

--

Jeff

John Rumm January 10th 19 07:59 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 10/01/2019 18:00, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

Depends a bit on what you mean by resin... there are several variations.
E.g:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/resin.htm

Not tried it myself, but can see it ought to be DIYable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Tim Watts[_5_] January 10th 19 09:52 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

*or* have drains to a soakaway

*or* slope so that the rain drains onto the owner's land.

You absolutely CAN have any surface you like - you just have to make
sure rain goes into the ground.

--
Email does not work

[email protected] January 10th 19 10:48 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:00:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

no need to fear doing blockwork round oddly angled drains.

NT

Steve Walker[_5_] January 10th 19 10:50 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

SteveW

Andrew Gabriel January 11th 19 12:00 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

You now need planning permission to install a non-permeable
driveway, in order for the local water authority to be brought
into the loop to confirm your plans for drainage are acceptable
to them (e.g. soakaways have to be set well back from your
boundary, and many gardens aren't big enough for that).

A recent new build near me had some interesting problems with
this, as they didn't have enough garden left around the house
to handle the rain water soaking in. Water authority made them
install a giant underground grey water tank (which can be up
to the boundary), and I believe the house has to use this for
things like toilet flushing. It overflows into the street
surface water drainage, but they are charged for doing that.

For the last several years, water authorities have the right
to charge you for rain water run-off from your land. They've
been going around all the commerical properties adding that
levy to the water bill, but AFAIK haven't started on residential
properties yet except when some relevant modification has
taken place.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mark Allread[_3_] January 11th 19 12:30 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 11:00:06 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

Note the above - the drive is not being done.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil
pipe so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the
resin stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives
need to be permeable.

Its not the drive.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

You now need planning permission to install a non-permeable driveway,

Its not the drive that is being done.

But for the OP I'd say that it would be better to hire a Stihl saw and
cut the paving around the manholes if they cannot be easily repositioned
more 'squarely'. The job will look a lot better.

John Rumm January 11th 19 12:42 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 10/01/2019 21:48, wrote:
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:00:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

no need to fear doing blockwork round oddly angled drains.

Years ago I thought it might look nice to do some block paving round
circular flower beds and various other curved edges...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...kPavedPath.jpg

It all looked nice, but at the time I did not really think through the
consequences of cutting in all the blocks:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hCuttingIn.jpg

It took a couple of days to cut them all in, and by the time it was done
we must have had half a ton of left over offcuts!

(still we needed some hardcore for under another bit of paving elsewhere)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew[_22_] January 11th 19 01:27 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

The key phrase was 'back of our house'.

There is nothing in building regs to dictate what you can do in
your back garden.

Only if your front garden (that leads onto a highway) slopes
towards the road, are you supposed to install a drainage
system to prvent surface water spilling onto the highway.

In my village I have seen at least 6 houses block pave
their front garden and no attempt to provide drainage, by
a company (pikey-sounding) who probably undercuts a local
tradesman who does a proper job.

Brian Gaff January 11th 19 04:21 PM

Resin 'paving'.

Well I wish somebody would tell our council then as they simply concreted
the whole lot.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

John Rumm January 11th 19 04:22 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

Note the above - the drive is not being done.

Whether its the drive is not the relevant bit. Any impermeable hard
standing counts, regardless of if its a drive, patio, tennis court etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Gaff January 11th 19 04:24 PM

Resin 'paving'.

Never heard such a lot of twaddle. I think people would be forgiven for
thinking that around these parts the national pastime during the summer is
people out with their angle grinders laying their own drives and patios.
Brian

--
----- --

Mark Allread[_3_] January 11th 19 04:42 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

Note the above - the drive is not being done.

Whether its the drive is not the relevant bit. Any impermeable hard
standing counts, regardless of if its a drive, patio, tennis court etc.

See:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...n_projects/44/
patio_and_driveway

extract:
"Please note: different rules apply to paving over your front garden.

Elsewhere around your house there are no restrictions on the area of land
which you can cover with hard surfaces at, or near, ground level.

However, significant works of embanking or terracing to support a hard
surface might need a planning application.

If you live in a listed building, you will need listed building consent
for any significant works whether internal or external.

Please note: The permitted development allowances described here apply to
houses and not to:

Flats and maisonettes (view our guidance on flats and maisonettes)
Converted houses or houses created through the permitted development
rights to change use (as detailed in our change of use section)
Other buildings
Areas where there may be a planning condition, Article 4 Direction or
other restriction that limits permitted development rights.

Also note that these rules only cover your Patio/Driveway."
end extract

harry January 11th 19 04:51 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:00:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

They did it on the highway outside our house about six months ago.
High friction grit glued down.
Seems to be holding out OK.

harry January 11th 19 04:54 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Maybe if you are doing one from scratch, but what if you are replacing
one impermeable surface (concrete) by another (resin)? Is there a
difference if the resin in laid on top of the concrete, or the concreter
removed first and the resin laid on a prepared base? If the latter, do
the base and resin have to be permeable?

--

Jeff

It's all bollix anyway. The permeable bit soon blocks up with moss and general crap.

dennis@home[_6_] January 11th 19 06:00 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 11/01/2019 15:51, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:00:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

They did it on the highway outside our house about six months ago.
High friction grit glued down.
Seems to be holding out OK.

As usual harry replies with an answer that's not relevant to the question.

ARW January 11th 19 07:31 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 11/01/2019 11:30, Mark Allread wrote:

But for the OP I'd say that it would be better to hire a Stihl saw and
cut the paving around the manholes if they cannot be easily repositioned
more 'squarely'. The job will look a lot better.

Would a 9 inch angle grinder do?

--
Adam

John Rumm January 11th 19 10:42 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

Note the above - the drive is not being done.

Whether its the drive is not the relevant bit. Any impermeable hard
standing counts, regardless of if its a drive, patio, tennis court etc.

See:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...n_projects/44/
patio_and_driveway

extract:
"Please note: different rules apply to paving over your front garden.

Fairy snuff, I sit corrected!

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] January 11th 19 10:52 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On Friday, 11 January 2019 11:42:41 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:48, tabbypurr wrote:

no need to fear doing blockwork round oddly angled drains.

Years ago I thought it might look nice to do some block paving round
circular flower beds and various other curved edges...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...kPavedPath.jpg

It all looked nice, but at the time I did not really think through the
consequences of cutting in all the blocks:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hCuttingIn.jpg

It took a couple of days to cut them all in, and by the time it was done
we must have had half a ton of left over offcuts!

(still we needed some hardcore for under another bit of paving elsewhere)

I'd have been most tempted to do the infill in some sort of radial pattern to avoid all that cutting.

NT

John Rumm January 11th 19 11:52 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 11/01/2019 21:52, wrote:
On Friday, 11 January 2019 11:42:41 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/01/2019 21:48, tabbypurr wrote:

no need to fear doing blockwork round oddly angled drains.

Years ago I thought it might look nice to do some block paving round
circular flower beds and various other curved edges...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...kPavedPath.jpg

It all looked nice, but at the time I did not really think through the
consequences of cutting in all the blocks:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...hCuttingIn.jpg

It took a couple of days to cut them all in, and by the time it was done
we must have had half a ton of left over offcuts!

(still we needed some hardcore for under another bit of paving elsewhere)

I'd have been most tempted to do the infill in some sort of radial pattern to avoid all that cutting.

Then you would have to cut them lengthways and into a taper to avoid
large gaps!

--
Cheers,

John.

Mark Allread[_3_] January 12th 19 01:22 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:31:18 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 11/01/2019 11:30, Mark Allread wrote:

But for the OP I'd say that it would be better to hire a Stihl saw and
cut the paving around the manholes if they cannot be easily
repositioned more 'squarely'. The job will look a lot better.

Would a 9 inch angle grinder do?

Never tried it with an angle grinder but I'm not sure you would get as
good a finish on the 'cut' edge.

ARW January 12th 19 06:38 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
[...]

And there is this one.

https://goo.gl/maps/E1VHRmttLqj

Street view will take you back to 2009 and up to May 2018.

Every piece of garden is now concrete (trust me there has been more
concrete laid since the May 2018 Streetview picture).

--
Adam

Rod Speed January 12th 19 07:45 PM

Resin 'paving'.

R D S wrote:
[...]

Fark, we dont get anything like that sort of streetview history.

And I saw the google streetview camera car here almost a year
ago now and it still hasnt been updated. Something must have
been comprehensively ****ed with the system in the car or something.

[email protected] January 13th 19 03:51 AM

Resin 'paving'.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...CuttingIn..jpg

It took a couple of days to cut them all in, and by the time it was done
we must have had half a ton of left over offcuts!

(still we needed some hardcore for under another bit of paving elsewhere)

I'd have been most tempted to do the infill in some sort of radial pattern to avoid all that cutting.

Then you would have to cut them lengthways and into a taper to avoid
large gaps!

The ones you laid radially didn't have excessive gaps, or maybe I misremembered that. More would not be in a smaller circle. You can always cut every 4th one or so if gaps are a problem. It would be easier to move to the smaller rectangular blocks, less length equals far less gap size. Or go with stone.

NT

John Rumm January 13th 19 09:20 PM

Resin 'paving'.

On 13/01/2019 02:51, wrote:
[...]

True, but I cheated by filling those gaps with black mortar - no too
onerous as the edging courses which have to be fully bedded anyway. The
main infill however is just grouted with fine sand, so the gaps have to
be small.

, or maybe I
misremembered that. More would not be in a smaller circle. You can
always cut every 4th one or so if gaps are a problem. It would be
easier to move to the smaller rectangular blocks, less length equals
far less gap size. Or go with stone.

There is a limit on how small you can go on blocks on a sand bed if you
want to ensure they can't get pushed into the bed with normal traffic
(why ideally you break the pattern in places where you would end up with
less than about a third of a block)

--
Cheers,

John.