Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Schuko socket (further difficulty)

The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

You'll probably just have to drill it out unless it is a very loose fit
in which case it may 'tease out' with a pair of tweezers or similar
implement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:20:34 +0000, Tufnell Park
wrote:

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

You'll probably just have to drill it out unless it is a very loose fit
in which case it may 'tease out' with a pair of tweezers or similar
implement.

How do you drill without dethreading the hole? I can see this going
badly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott expressed precisely :
How do you drill without dethreading the hole? I can see this going
badly.

Try to drill or tease out the copper wire, that should leave the screw
loose enough to remove. A small drill bit will follow the softer
copper, in preference to the harder brass of the terminal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

You'll probably just have to drill it out unless it is a very loose fit
in which case it may 'tease out' with a pair of tweezers or similar
implement.

How do you drill without dethreading the hole? I can see this going
badly.

use a small enough drill to fit between the threads and the recalcitrant
screw can usually be got out. If it snapped when you tried to unscrew it,
it would seem thatb it was overtighted by the original installer. The
don't sell insulated torque screwdrivers for no reason.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:22:45 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Regrettably it was on the way in, so my fault. I thought it was
protruding more than the others so I tried to tighten it a bit more.
That said, it is solidly in now so perhaps I would just leave it be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

Very small anticlockwise drill bit is probably your best bet...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:12:50 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

Very small anticlockwise drill bit is probably your best bet...

Thanks. There may be an argument for leaving well alone given it is
solid but it offends my sense of neatness.

Has MK quality declined? This assembly seems very flimsy. The last
plug I fitted was fiddly with a heavy cable. Even the last socket
seemed a bit flimsy.

This particular device is a niche item and came from Malaysia. Is the
Malaysian quality as good or am I getting more of a 'budget' product?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 17:02:56 UTC, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._Damaged_Screw

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Dental burr in dremmel or die grinder can be controlled to drill screw
or at least make centre for drill then make easy out by grinding a
square taper to a point on hard steel.
Anything is possible with DIY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
news
charles wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Bet you can't fart your way to the moon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/01/2019 17:02, Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

You'll probably just have to drill it out unless it is a very loose fit
in which case it may 'tease out' with a pair of tweezers or similar
implement.

How do you drill without dethreading the hole? I can see this going
badly.

You drill with an smaller drill to remove the central plug of the
screw then ideally use an extractor tool which is reverse threaded
so as you screw into it, it tightens and undoes the screw (or bolt).

Thats the theory any way ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-11, FMurtz wrote:

Scott wrote:
The electrician fitted the Schuko socket but put the live to the left.
Not that it matters, but I decided it would be a good idea to modify
it. However, the terminal screw broke as I was tightening it (I don't
think I'll be buying MK again). By chance, I have a replacement
screw. Is there a recognised way of getting the broken screw out?

Angle grinder

Someone had to say it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 15:42:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Dental burr in dremmel or die grinder can be controlled to drill screw or
at least make centre for drill then make easy out by grinding a square
taper to a point on hard steel.

Anything is possible with DIY

Bet you can't fart your way to the moon.

Bet you still need to be taught a few more lessons on this group, you
obnoxious senile pest! Watch it, punching bag! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Schuko socket Scott[_17_] UK diy 45 November 26th 18 04:16 PM
A/C plug/socket removal difficulty KenK Home Repair 2 January 2nd 16 04:39 PM
schuko 2 pin wiring walkage UK diy 4 January 20th 05 12:17 PM
schuko 2 pin wiring Zikki Malambo UK diy 1 January 19th 05 12:05 PM