Old January 11th 19, 03:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Brian Gaff wrote:

But how does one get rid of moss in a lawn which is often very very wet?

You kill it with ferrous sulphate ... but that leaves the question of
how you get rid of the moss, which is now dead and black.

Old January 11th 19, 03:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 12:20:39 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 10/01/2019 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?

Bill

Limestone is completely wrong for vehicular hardstanding.
It isn't strong enough to withstand being crushed and ends
up looking like numpty diy concrete where the wheels have
flattened it.

then the moss and weeds take hold ....

The hardness of limestone is very variable.