UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,660
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:39:20 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

You can't really "stop this happening again", gravel (or similar)
drives need maintenance and 'stuff like soil' will always build up
over time.


Yep. Just tell your gardener to keep it clear. They'll just have to
regulary hand weed it(*) or rake it.

(*) or every time a weed becomes big enough to pull, pull it.

--
Cheers
Dave.




  #12   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 901
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/01/19 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?


You may have to forgo the DIY bit and get a pro in to spray the drive
with a specialist weedkiller and germination preventer. See, for
example, "Paradise" and "Chikara" he
https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/driveway-weeds

It /might/ be possible for you to get some and DIY, but they aren't
cheap and the spraying will have to be repeated after 6 months.

If you're as old as me you may be able to go on a 'Grandfather
Rights' training course and become licensed/legal to spray effective
weedkiller yourself. This is what I did and so I can now continue to
spray herbicide on our fields (to keep the ragwort down) and on our
drive to kill everything. The people who sell bulk herbicide do now
actually check if you are qualified/licensed (though I'm not sure how
thoroughly).

--
Chris Green
·
  #13   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 01:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,431
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

On 10/01/2019 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?

Bill


Limestone is completely wrong for vehicular hardstanding.
It isn't strong enough to withstand being crushed and ends
up looking like numpty diy concrete where the wheels have
flattened it.

then the moss and weeds take hold ....
  #14   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 614
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

On 11/01/19 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/01/19 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?


You may have to forgo the DIY bit and get a pro in to spray the drive
with a specialist weedkiller and germination preventer. See, for
example, "Paradise" and "Chikara" he
https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/driveway-weeds

It /might/ be possible for you to get some and DIY, but they aren't
cheap and the spraying will have to be repeated after 6 months.

If you're as old as me you may be able to go on a 'Grandfather
Rights' training course and become licensed/legal to spray effective
weedkiller yourself. This is what I did and so I can now continue to
spray herbicide on our fields (to keep the ragwort down) and on our
drive to kill everything. The people who sell bulk herbicide do now
actually check if you are qualified/licensed (though I'm not sure how
thoroughly).


True, but obtaining certification isn't cheap - around £500 - 600. See
bottom of page he
https://www.newlandstraining.co.uk/pesticide-application/grandfather-rights/

--

Jeff
  #15   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,668
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Chris Green wrote:

If you're as old as me you may be able to go on a 'Grandfather
Rights' training course and become licensed/legal to spray effective
weedkiller yourself. This is what I did and so I can now continue to
spray herbicide on our fields (to keep the ragwort down) and on our
drive to kill everything.


Your grandfather rights exemption expired 3+ years ago ...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/topics/using-pesticides/codes-of-practice/guidance-sustainable-use-ppp-regs-2012.htm


  #16   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 04:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 901
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 11/01/19 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/01/19 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?

You may have to forgo the DIY bit and get a pro in to spray the drive
with a specialist weedkiller and germination preventer. See, for
example, "Paradise" and "Chikara" he
https://www.progreen.co.uk/problem/driveway-weeds

It /might/ be possible for you to get some and DIY, but they aren't
cheap and the spraying will have to be repeated after 6 months.

If you're as old as me you may be able to go on a 'Grandfather
Rights' training course and become licensed/legal to spray effective
weedkiller yourself. This is what I did and so I can now continue to
spray herbicide on our fields (to keep the ragwort down) and on our
drive to kill everything. The people who sell bulk herbicide do now
actually check if you are qualified/licensed (though I'm not sure how
thoroughly).


True, but obtaining certification isn't cheap - around £500 - 600. See
bottom of page he
https://www.newlandstraining.co.uk/pesticide-application/grandfather-rights/

Mine cost somewhat less than that, around £350/400 if I remember right
at my local Suffolk Agricultural College.

--
Chris Green
·
  #17   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2018
Posts: 543
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:39:20 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

You can't really "stop this happening again", gravel (or similar)
drives need maintenance and 'stuff like soil' will always build up
over time.


Yep. Just tell your gardener to keep it clear. They'll just have to
regulary hand weed it(*) or rake it.

(*) or every time a weed becomes big enough to pull, pull it.


Gardener?
--
Jim K


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
  #18   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2018
Posts: 543
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:22:49 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
Well, it isn't really gravel. It's limestone, mostly one inch lumps. The
limestone is a couple of inches deep, then there's six to nine inches of
rubble underneath. There's 187 sq metres. In places moss has grown. I've
killed the moss but under it the stone has a lot of soil mixed in,
somehow. I'll have to scrape all this off and put new stone down, but
how can I stop this happening again? I was wondering about waiting until
the dry weather and getting some sort of blow torch thing? Ideas?

Bill


Waste from Windscale mixed in with the new gravel?


Bottom heat promotes propagation and growth!


In interesting new ways!
--
Jim K


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
  #19   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 901
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

If you're as old as me you may be able to go on a 'Grandfather
Rights' training course and become licensed/legal to spray effective
weedkiller yourself. This is what I did and so I can now continue to
spray herbicide on our fields (to keep the ragwort down) and on our
drive to kill everything.


Your grandfather rights exemption expired 3+ years ago ...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pesticides/topics/using-pesticides/codes-of-practice/guidance-sustainable-use-ppp-regs-2012.htm

Yes, I know, that's why I needed to go on a course and get qualified!

--
Chris Green
·
  #20   Report Post  
Old January 11th 19, 04:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,785
Default moss and soil and a gravel drive

But how does one get rid of moss in a lawn which is often very very wet?
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
...
If you put down anti weed membrane and then at least 50mm of gravel on top
this will not prevent soil (usually composted Leaves) from filling inbetween
the individual gravel but it will prevent weeds from developing deep roots
making them easy to remove either by pulling out or chemical gardening.

Richard




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resurfacing drive - best moss/lichen/algae killer Mark Allread[_2_] UK diy 20 February 5th 17 11:37 AM
Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 01:44 AM
Sorting gravel from soil? N8N Home Repair 22 April 10th 07 12:50 PM
Gravel drive for car access Glenn UK diy 25 May 30th 05 02:03 PM
Gravel Drive Mike Saunders UK diy 10 March 31st 05 07:33 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017