Old January 7th 19, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rant about LED floodlights

ARW wrote:

wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-f...daylight/665cc

Screwfix cheap ****.
If you pay for a turd you get a turd.

I'm happy with this one, much better than the chinese crap it replaced

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/section.php/110785/1/brackenheath-ispotc-led-floodlights-ip65

Screwfix have stopped selling them ...
Old January 8th 19, 09:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:02:50 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For a fitting outdoors, I always advise to do your best to prevent rain
getting in, but to drill a hole in the base of a unit, to ensure any
which does get in can drain out. Though I doubt this would be possible
with these fittings.

The fitting in question is supposed to be IP65...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 8th 19, 09:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Boyes store in Goole were selling complete halogen pir floodlights including lamp for a fiver last week.
I bought two at that price and fitted them with led conversion lamps which my son gets from an eBay shop.
Old January 9th 19, 08:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:02:50 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For a fitting outdoors, I always advise to do your best to prevent rain
getting in, but to drill a hole in the base of a unit, to ensure any
which does get in can drain out. Though I doubt this would be possible
with these fittings.

The fitting in question is supposed to be IP65...

Which doesn’t negate the need for venting to prevent large pressure
changes.

The lamps may well have IP65 rated seals, but they’re feck all use when the
cooling lamp is actively trying to suck in water sitting above a seal
(which is very different to resisting a gentle spray from a hose).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old February 11th 19, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

UPDATE:

Today I received a letter from Screwfix regarding these LED floodlights.

Apparently they are an electrocution risk if oval cable such as T+E is used and that this should be swapped for ROUND cable or the rubber O ring fails to seal.

apparently the manufacturers (LAP) omitted to put this information into the installation leaflet.

So that means that people will have to put a water proof junction box on the wall, put a short length of flexible round cable on the light fitting and then use the junction box to connect the ends of the T+E and the round cable together.

This could have all been avoided if LAP had put the cable entry point at the bottom of the light fitting, not at the top...

Grrrrr
Old February 12th 19, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 January 2019 22:14:49 UTC, wrote:
I used to use halogen floodlights with either 300 W or 500 W tubes.

Dead simple to install and maintain.

The cable entry point was always at the bottom so rain ingress was *never* a problem.

Tube replacement was simple, unscrew just one screw, open metal framed door and use cotton gloves to swap out the halogen tube......

Then I decided to replace the whole units with LED floodlights. biggest mistake I ever made!

Now when the LED floodlight fails, I find I *have* to replace the *whole* unit, I cannot replace the PSU part or the LED array only.

I also find that the cable entry point is at the top so I now frequently find that they fill up with rain water and pop the circuit breaker!

A new halogen Tube can be had for around a pound, a whole new LED floodlight is 30 quid upwards and its not an easy job as you have to undo the wiring, undo the wall bracket, remove the old light fitting entirely and work in reverse.

Even when I use self amalgamating tape to solve the "filling with rainwater" issue, the LED floodlight barely lasts more than a year before the whole thing has to be replaced.....

So much for minimising WEEE waste!

Rant over!

For our house, we bought some wall-mounted lanterns with IR sensors. And fitted BC-based LEDs with a rating of around 3W. The LEDs are replacable, of course. Cable through wall with no likelihood of water ingress even with our heavy rain and strong wind. Used car wax over the outside to help shuck rain and keep clean.

Very happy. Perfectly adequate light for the cat, doing the bins, the gate, visitors at front door.
Old February 13th 19, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:18:53 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

For our house, we bought some wall-mounted lanterns with IR sensors. And fitted BC-based LEDs with a rating of around 3W. The LEDs are replacable, of course. Cable through wall with no likelihood of water ingress even with our heavy rain and strong wind. Used car wax over the outside to help shuck rain and keep clean.

Very happy. Perfectly adequate light for the cat, doing the bins, the gate, visitors at front door.

Mine are lanterns with the socket at the top, so the lamp points downwards.
Used E27 R63 lamps, 120 deg angle to avoid more than 60 deg throw. (W, 700
lm.
They can be seen from level or above, but only as a light on, not as a
glare. When the R63s go phut I'll perhaps use 120 deg. GU10s and they'll
have even less overspill.
It's also very easy to put a 'skirt' on the lamp - or even black marker - to
limit direction if needed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away