Old January 7th 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rant about LED floodlights

Then I decided to replace the whole units with LED floodlights. biggest
mistake I ever made!

Now when the LED floodlight fails, I find I *have* to replace the
*whole* unit, I cannot replace the PSU part or the LED array only.

But have you actually had one fail? My tungsten floodlights needed regular
lamp changes. The LED replacements none, so far.

And the old ones got so hot the bodies could be damaged, so not always
possible to open them up to fit a new bulb. So had to replace the entire
fitting.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old January 7th 19, 12:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

How much light do you *really* need? Plenty of much cheaper ones available.

the 500 Watt halogens were replaced with 30 watt LEDs.

Good you're happy with *a lot* less light. ;-)

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Old January 7th 19, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

presented the following explanation :
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-f...daylight/665cc

You can see the cable entry gland... I have my LED floods pointing downwards
to avoid annoying the neighbours but that makes the cable gland face the
rains from heaven!

Have you used a suitable sized round section flex, to allow the gland
to properly seal against it? Did you grease the gland seal to stop
ingress?

For a fitting outdoors, I always advise to do your best to prevent rain
getting in, but to drill a hole in the base of a unit, to ensure any
which does get in can drain out. Though I doubt this would be possible
with these fittings.
Old January 7th 19, 02:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Shouldnt there be a weep hole at the bottom of the light so that condensation water can escape?

BigClive strips a cheap LED floodlight at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFi2dpLmhKI

[george]

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 10:14:49 PM UTC, wrote:
I used to use halogen floodlights with either 300 W or 500 W tubes.

Dead simple to install and maintain.

The cable entry point was always at the bottom so rain ingress was *never* a problem.

Tube replacement was simple, unscrew just one screw, open metal framed door and use cotton gloves to swap out the halogen tube......

Then I decided to replace the whole units with LED floodlights. biggest mistake I ever made!

Now when the LED floodlight fails, I find I *have* to replace the *whole* unit, I cannot replace the PSU part or the LED array only.

I also find that the cable entry point is at the top so I now frequently find that they fill up with rain water and pop the circuit breaker!

A new halogen Tube can be had for around a pound, a whole new LED floodlight is 30 quid upwards and its not an easy job as you have to undo the wiring, undo the wall bracket, remove the old light fitting entirely and work in reverse.

Even when I use self amalgamating tape to solve the "filling with rainwater" issue, the LED floodlight barely lasts more than a year before the whole thing has to be replaced.....

So much for minimising WEEE waste!

Rant over!

Old January 7th 19, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I have 8 of the things scattered around the sides of the house.

Already I have had to replace four due to filling with rain water and replaced four when they either started flashing repeatedly or have gone candlelight dim.

You have to replace the whole thing when it's gone dim or starts flashing, it's not possible to replace either the LED driver PSU or the led light array.

I now use self amalgamating tape at where the cable enters the cable gland so that particular issue has stopped.

But no solution yet to having to replace the whole fitting when they start flashing or go dim.

Old January 7th 19, 03:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I have 8 of the things scattered around the sides of the house.

Already I have had to replace four due to filling with rain water and
replaced four when they either started flashing repeatedly or have gone
candlelight dim.

You have to replace the whole thing when it's gone dim or starts
flashing, it's not possible to replace either the LED driver PSU or the
led light array.

I now use self amalgamating tape at where the cable enters the cable
gland so that particular issue has stopped.

But no solution yet to having to replace the whole fitting when they
start flashing or go dim.

Chances are - like so many such things - the cost of providing spares
would exceed that of a complete replacement.

If they are filling with rain water, you need to look at how you've
installed them.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Old January 7th 19, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
How much light do you *really* need? Plenty of much cheaper ones available.

the 500 Watt halogens were replaced with 30 watt LEDs.

Good you're happy with *a lot* less light. ;-)

A bit less, 50 watts should be not far off 500 halogen
Old January 7th 19, 05:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 11:14:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

And the old ones got so hot the bodies could be damaged, so not always
possible to open them up to fit a new bulb. So had to replace the entire
fitting.

The 'bulbs' in the 20 lamps that I used to get from B&Q would fail
after about ten years, by which time the steel screw that held the
unit together had rusted, so they had to be replaced. About 10 years
ago I replaced them with decent units from TLC, compact florescents
though but not on enough to justify replacement.
Old January 7th 19, 05:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
How much light do you *really* need? Plenty of much cheaper ones available.

the 500 Watt halogens were replaced with 30 watt LEDs.

Good you're happy with *a lot* less light. ;-)

A bit less, 50 watts should be not far off 500 halogen

Hmm. Doesn't equate with any LEDs here, I'm afraid.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Old January 7th 19, 06:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 January 2019 22:14:49 UTC, wrote:
[...]

I bought on in B&Q for about £12 about six months ago. The cable goes in the bottom and the motion sensor is much better than my old halogen one. At that price, I don't mind replacing it when the bulb goes.

Jonathan