Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bluetooth help please

I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 15:32, Broadback wrote:
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

If you know what hearing aid you are getting, can you find a manual
online to explain a bit more?

I would *expect* it to work like an earphone with any bluetooth mobile
phone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 15:32:54 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

In simple terms, your hearing aid is a *type* of headphones.

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

--
Ermin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes it should. You have to pair the items first of course and its those
instructions for the phone and the hearing aid that you need.

However having said that, I cannot get a bluetooth enabled amplifier to
work with my I phone yet a keyboard does.

If its a home phone, then I'm not sure if any phones offer this facility,
but I'd imagine if you have a phone that a headset can be used with, then
one of these bluetooth transmitters might work. I see them all the time on
Amazon used for all sorts of things. Be aware though that the latency can
cause echo effects.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/01/2019 15:32, Broadback wrote:
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

If you know what hearing aid you are getting, can you find a manual online
to explain a bit more?

I would *expect* it to work like an earphone with any bluetooth mobile
phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ermin wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 15:32:54 +0000, Broadback wrote:

I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

In simple terms, your hearing aid is a *type* of headphones.

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

Indeed they do so that means there is absolutely no need to spend out on
a new model. A used one from ebay with a quick reference to the spec via
google to check for blue tooth should be more than adequate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Ermin wrote:
Broadback wrote:

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

Indeed they do so that means there is absolutely no need to spend out on
a new model.

I thought the O/P wanted a blutooth enabled landline, not smartphone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Ermin wrote:
Broadback wrote:

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

Indeed they do so that means there is absolutely no need to spend out
on a new model.

I thought the O/P wanted a blutooth enabled landline, not smartphone?

On re-reading it could be that but the question was not clear.
My initial assumption was that BT was need to control/adjust the hearing
aid but that also might not be the requirement either.

Moral of the story. Ask specific questions and don't assume others are
equipped with a crystal ball.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Ermin wrote:
Broadback wrote:

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

Indeed they do so that means there is absolutely no need to spend out
on a new model.

I thought the O/P wanted a blutooth enabled landline, not smartphone?

He didn't say. It's a reasonable assumption he'll want every phone he
has to work, be that landline or mobile.

The magic phrase is "Headset Profile", the way in which headsets,
headphones with microphones etc. talk to and can control Bluetooth audio
devices such as phones, MP3 players etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Ermin wrote:
Broadback wrote:

The majority (maybe all) of 'smart phones' these days have the facility
to connect to any other bluetooth enabled device.

Indeed they do so that means there is absolutely no need to spend out
on a new model.

I thought the O/P wanted a blutooth enabled landline, not smartphone?

Plenty of DECT phones come with bluetooth these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf wrote:

He didn't say

He did last month ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

It shouldnt matter what they talk about. As far as the phone
is concerned there is no difference between headphones and
a hearing aid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 15:55:38 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes it should. You have to pair the items first of course and its those
instructions for the phone and the hearing aid that you need.

However having said that, I cannot get a bluetooth enabled amplifier to
work with my I phone yet a keyboard does.

You can thank Apple for that state of affairs. Their Bluetooth
implementation is idiosyncratic, to say the least. It's one of the
reasons I switched back to Samsung when it became apparent that my old
Iphone4 couldn't hack it any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 15:32, Broadback wrote:
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The phones
that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which is not
what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

With Bluetooth devices normally there are two of them and you have to
'pair' them so that they will communicate with each other.

I don't understand why you would want to do this with a phone and a
hearing aid given that you you could hold the phone next to the aid.

I wonder if you need an Android app to adjust the hearing aid? Such
apps do exist.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2019 01:14, Michael Chare wrote:
On 05/01/2019 15:32, Broadback wrote:
I am getting a hearing aid that is Bluetooth enabled. However I need a
telephone that will link to it, that is where I get confused. The
phones that I have looked at talk about linking into headphones, which
is not what I want. Can some kind sole show me the way forward?

With Bluetooth devices normally there are two of them and you have to
'pair' them so that they will communicate with each other.

I don't understand why you would want to do this with a phone and a
hearing aid given that you you could hold the phone next to the aid.

I wonder if you need an Android app to adjust the hearing aid?Â* Such
apps do exist.

Many thanks for all the helpful replies. I must apologize for my
question not being clear, however my question has been answered. It was
the "headphones" that I could not understand, I did not realise that is
included hearing aids. As regards not understanding why I cannot just
place the phone near my hearing aid to hear the phone call I imagine
that poster has no hearing problem. Phones are very difficult to use if
you a partial hearing, an the load speaker mode is often very distorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:51:10 +0000, Broadback wrote:

As regards not understanding why I cannot just place the phone near my
hearing aid to hear the phone call I imagine that poster has no hearing
problem. Phones are very difficult to use if you a partial hearing, an
the load speaker mode is often very distorted.

That's what the "T" position on a hearing aid is for. Switches off
the microphone and switches on a magnetic pickup coil. Assuming the
phone has a coil based ear piece transducer you get a direct feed of
the phone into your aid. Also useable at many checkouts and in
cinemas, theatres other venues equiped with a "loop" system.

I would hope an hearing aid with Bluetooth has it in addition to "T".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 08:51:10 +0000, Broadback wrote:

As regards not understanding why I cannot just place the phone near my
hearing aid to hear the phone call I imagine that poster has no hearing
problem. Phones are very difficult to use if you a partial hearing, an
the load speaker mode is often very distorted.

That's what the "T" position on a hearing aid is for. Switches off
the microphone and switches on a magnetic pickup coil. Assuming the
phone has a coil based ear piece transducer you get a direct feed of
the phone into your aid. Also useable at many checkouts and in
cinemas, theatres other venues equiped with a "loop" system.

I would hope an hearing aid with Bluetooth has it in addition to "T".

I find T particularly useful in public halls where the PA system isn't
properly set up. You can hear the speaker very clearly.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England