DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Overpainting metral bed frame (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/628867-overpainting-metral-bed-frame.html)

tim... January 5th 19 01:14 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's
bedroom

TIA

tim

Jim K.. January 5th 19 02:01 PM

"tim..." Wrote in message:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's
bedroom

TIA

tim

Key it a bit with wet & dry, degrease with a solvent (white spirit
or meths), when dry paint. I'd think you'll need an undercoat to
go from black to white especially spraying (outside or
garage/shed i hope ;-) )
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

tim... January 5th 19 02:58 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." Wrote in message:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's
bedroom

TIA

tim

Key it a bit with wet & dry, degrease with a solvent (white spirit
or meths), when dry paint. I'd think you'll need an undercoat to
go from black to white especially spraying (outside or
garage/shed i hope ;-) )

unfortunately not, no

I'm just going to have to spray it with the windows open and then leave the
flat empty for 3 days - I'm not living in it yet

this frame bed, and a couple of chairs are the only pieces of furniture I
have moved in

Jim K.. January 5th 19 03:21 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

"tim..." Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." Wrote in message:
[...]

Ah ok, plenty cardboard,wallpaper, old sheets whatever to catch
the overspray then :-)

I think it'll take more than one coat, don't be tempted to spray
more on "thicker" in one go as you'll end up with runs & it'll
look ****e, or you'll have to sand the runs back and do it again
(slower!)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

tim... January 5th 19 03:25 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"tim..." Wrote in message:
[...]

no problem, room will be completely redone afterwards

I'll have to do it twice in order to do the bit that standing on the floor

tim

Brian Gaff January 5th 19 04:02 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

Strangely this might actually be a real job for Hammertoe though. I used to
find it was good at covering up dark colours.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

Brian Gaff January 5th 19 04:05 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

Of course with a hammertoe if its nicely dimpled it tends to disguise the
runs. I'm not a fan of spraying such things myself, often painting it
normally seems to work well enough, or did when I could see.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K.." wrote in message
"tim..." Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...

[email protected] January 5th 19 06:11 PM

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 13:15:38 UTC, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's
bedroom

TIA

tim

You could just ilghtly sand it and maybe degrease, but do realise the original coating is generally a baked on powder coat, much tougher than any paint. And scratches of black on white won't exactly look good. You'd be better off leaving it black really.

If spraying, it will get onto everything.

NT

Rob Morley January 28th 19 07:13 PM

Overpainting metral bed frame

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 13:14:10 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a
spray can?

I don't want to spend too long on this project, it's just the guest's
bedroom

Wash it with sugar soap and brush paint it with Hammerite Smooth or
cheap equivalent, and don't expect it to look brilliant. I'd just
leave it black, nobody's going to care really, and you've probably got
more pressing things to do. Or take it to your friendly local
powder-coater.