Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clanking radiator expansion...

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that

I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2019 17:05, Jim K.. wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA

I will watch this with interest as I have some long rads with 3 brackets
and the manufacturer (CenterRad) does not supply the plastic gizzmos.
When the rads expand the 3 brackets almost guarantee a creak, clank or
click from somewhere.
When I moaned to the manufacturer they simply said their brackets and
rads were designed to work without inserts and that they didn't make a
noise. I regret having CenterRad radiators because other manufacturers
still supply brackets that take inserts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/01/2019 17:18, Jim K.. wrote:
I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?

Probably worth a try to see if it cures the problem and give you time to
source something else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA

When the local branch of Travis Perkins supplied a hopelessly packed (by
the manufacturer) Myson fan radiator it came with all the brackets and
their mounting points slightly bent and the plasitc u-shaped inserts
chewed up. As this was their second attempt (the first delivery had the
main panels grossly bent) I agreed to straighten the brackets and
mountings if they supplied the plastic inserts. By return (of 20 ton
lorry!) I got a strip of five of them, still joined from the original
injection process. So they are a freely available commodity, probably
from plumbers' merchants, and probably not expensive. Also pretty
standard I think.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 17:05:25 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA

These, on Ebay? https://tinyurl.com/y7m2k374

Aha!
I'll check dimensions etc tomoz. Ta!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA

These, on Ebay? https://tinyurl.com/y7m2k374

Aha!
I'll check dimensions etc tomoz. Ta!

Those look just like my ones.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that

I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?

I agree. I'd start with something like nylatron 66 and make some bearers
to fit the brackets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in article ,
"Jim K.." writes:
harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that

I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?

You can get gromet strip which is harder than PVC, and probably
slides more easily. Try putting it on both the mating surfaces.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2019 17:05, Jim K.. wrote:
bodges, alternatives please?

*******ise* those things that cover the pins on a new 3 pin plug?

*What's the point of those?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:18:47 UTC, JimK wrote:
harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that

I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The bottom of the radiator is not very hot.Especially on the seams
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 17:05:28 UTC, JimK wrote:
ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

Cut a bit of insulation off electric cable and use that

I can see that being cut through by the weight especially being warmed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The bottom of the radiator is not very hot.Especially on the seams

The brackets aren't at the bottom of the rad...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
On 02/01/2019 17:05, Jim K.. wrote:
bodges, alternatives please?

*******ise* those things that cover the pins on a new 3 pin plug?

*What's the point of those?

To stop the plug pins scratching the appliance in transit.

--
Andrew Gabriel

boiler clanking charles UK diy 13 February 16th 15 01:39 PM
Snapped the radiator tap off the radiator (Now it's boiling & can't swtich it off) [email protected] UK diy 20 April 18th 06 09:37 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
noisy/clanking boiler Jayne UK diy 8 November 18th 04 01:30 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM