Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boilers

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 22:30:09 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Jim K.. wrote:
Bob Minchin Wrote in message:
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?
Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

We had 7 days without power in late autumn 1987 and a 6 month old baby
at the time. A borrowed genny was a lifesaver then. Since then, I've
taken precautions!

Ditto if that was the year of the "wrong type of snow on the
overheads".

Fortunately although we had no gas we did use a coal fire, kept the
house warm and allowed us to continue to cook - still got black
bottomed saucepans to remember the occasion by.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power
cut. Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas
powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?
Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

We had 7 days without power in late autumn 1987 and a 6 month old baby
at the time. A borrowed genny was a lifesaver then. Since then, I've
taken precautions!

Ditto if that was the year of the "wrong type of snow on the
overheads".

It wasn't on the overheads, it was snow getting into the under-coach
electric motors and shorting them out.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

No - but easy enough to run from a UPS.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/01/2019 20:20, charles wrote:
In article , ARW
wrote:
On 02/01/2019 18:38, charles wrote:
In article , ARW
wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power
cut. Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas
powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

A pure sine wave inverter at my parents house.

And it has just enough juice to power a travel kettle.

I have a gas ring for that. Mind you, we have to boil water in a
saucepan, though.

Does the gas ring also power the modem, computer and a few table lamps?

No. I have a UPS on my modem and another one for this computer. I have a
laptop with a 6 hour battery, I also have small generator and plenty of
flashlights (for our US readers) and candles.

I won't have candles in the house. I have worked on too many insurance
jobs where they have caused fires.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?

Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

Gf got a 6 hour power cut the other week. She sent her son off to his
Grandparents and then got into my bed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?
Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

Gf got a 6 hour power cut the other week. She sent her son off to his
Grandparents and then got into my bed.

LEDs on full? ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any truth in the story you have installed a remote control (pocket activated) contactor between the meter and Consumer Unit in your house to encourage her to share your pit on cold nights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/01/2019 18:25, Cynic wrote:
Any truth in the story you have installed a remote control (pocket activated) contactor between the meter and Consumer Unit in your house to encourage her to share your pit on cold nights?

She has all the Scouts camping gear, a torch that can recharge her
mobile phone (a Valentines day present from me as it was cheaper and
more useful than flowers), and about 6 LED torches.

My knob works in a power cut but an uncharged vibrator does not.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I also fitted an inverter to power the CH some 20 years ago. It has never
been used in anger. Luckily, didn't buy a battery specially for it - would
have used one from one of the cars.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power
cut. Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas
powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

A pure sine wave inverter at my parents house.

And it has just enough juice to power a travel kettle.

I have a gas ring for that. Mind you, we have to boil water in a
saucepan, though.

Does the gas ring also power the modem, computer and a few table lamps?

No. I have a UPS on my modem and another one for this computer. I have a
laptop with a 6 hour battery, I also have small generator and plenty of
flashlights (for our US readers) and candles.

I won't have candles in the house. I have worked on too many insurance
jobs where they have caused fires.

I dont have any candles because its much more convenient
to have a couple of those things that charge an unpluggable
torch off the mains all the time the mains is available which
come on auto when the mains fails so you can find them
and use them until the mains comes back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?
Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group about
6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I got a generator cheap at a garage sale must be at
least 6 years ago now and have never needed it since.

Mate of mine did borrow it to do some test with his solar
panel inverter but thats all the use its had with me.

Gf got a 6 hour power cut the other week. She sent her son off to his
Grandparents and then got into my bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I also fitted an inverter to power the CH some 20 years ago. It has never
been used in anger. Luckily, didn't buy a battery specially for it - would
have used one from one of the cars.

20 years later and it is still there ready to go if you need it?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
[...]

i didn't buy my candles, I inherited them - they don't go off with age.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I also fitted an inverter to power the CH some 20 years ago. It has never
been used in anger. Luckily, didn't buy a battery specially for it -
would
have used one from one of the cars.

20 years later and it is still there ready to go if you need it?

Trivial to pinch a battery out of one of the cars if needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2019 16:03, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
charles wrote:

When I installeed CH in my last house - 1960s - I did try to find a 12v
pump so the we could cope during power cuts. No such luck

You might have had some joy at a chandlers, but your wallet would be
bruised.

don't live that near the sea.

There's one in Sheffield.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

No - but easy enough to run from a UPS.

You have to common earth and neutral though or the boiler won't ignite.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 07:15:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Trivial to pinch a battery out of one of the cars if needed.

NOTHING could be as trivial as your idiotic trolling, senile Rot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 06:02:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I got a generator cheap at a garage sale must be at
least 6 years ago now and have never needed it since.

Nobody gives a ****, senile Rot.

Mate of mine

You DON'T have any real mates, sociopathic senile geezer! Or do you mean one
of your room mates in your old people's home? G

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 05:59:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I won't have candles in the house. I have worked on too many insurance
jobs where they have caused fires.

I don¢t have any candles

Nobody was talking to you, senile Ozzie troll!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I also fitted an inverter to power the CH some 20 years ago. It has never
been used in anger. Luckily, didn't buy a battery specially for it - would
have used one from one of the cars.

20 years later and it is still there ready to go if you need it?

Good point. ;-) Another thing on the list to check. I made the inverter
from a Vellerman kit so at least I have the circuit for it. I've also just
looked and found a schematic of the relays etc I used on this computer, so
don't need to rely on memory.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

No - but easy enough to run from a UPS.

You have to common earth and neutral though or the boiler won't ignite.

Ah - right. I've not tried using a propitiatory UPS - I made up my own
system.

But why does it need the neutral and earth common?

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

But why does it need the neutral and earth common?

Not tried it (my lump is too old to care) but I gather the ionisation
flame detection gets confused otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 02/01/2019 13:58, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?

Most domestic gas boilers include a low power DC generator.

aka battery backup?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/01/2019 20:11, charles wrote:

i didn't buy my candles, I inherited them - they don't go off with age.

Nor does a good woman or a bottle of wine.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

No - but easy enough to run from a UPS.

You have to common earth and neutral though or the boiler won't ignite.

Ah - right. I've not tried using a propitiatory UPS - I made up my own
system.

But why does it need the neutral and earth common?

The flame failure device will not work. It needs an earth or needs to
believe that there is an earth (even a flat one).

Connect the N and E together and it it has a reference from live to earth.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?

Most domestic gas boilers include a low power DC generator.

aka battery backup?

tim

Mine doesn't have a battery backup. As it happens, I changed the
control PCB this afternoon. Error code E168 every few hours and
changing the capacitors didn't help.

Maybe some do have a battery backup, but it's not a great environment
for such a thing.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 03/01/2019 20:11, charles wrote:

i didn't buy my candles, I inherited them - they don't go off with age.

Nor does a good woman

Corse they do when the tits are down around their waist.

or a bottle of wine.

Those do too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just how many times have these wonderful arrangements had a chance
to earn their keep? (And for what durations?)

I fitted a generator set up for a poster in the rec.motorcycle group
about 6 years ago. He has never used it.

It set my parents up with a inverter at about the same time. They have
never used it.

I also fitted an inverter to power the CH some 20 years ago. It has never
been used in anger. Luckily, didn't buy a battery specially for it - would
have used one from one of the cars.

20 years later and it is still there ready to go if you need it?

Good point. ;-) Another thing on the list to check. I made the inverter
from a Vellerman kit so at least I have the circuit for it. I've also just
looked and found a schematic of the relays etc I used on this computer, so
don't need to rely on memory.

This thread prompted a quick look on ebay. Prices vary from £20 to many
hundreds for 12V inverters of much the same spec (for say a 2000W).

Any recommendations?

--
Cheers, Rob

Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Ownership 3 June 18th 07 06:34 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 18th 07 05:32 AM
Boilers, boilers.. danw UK diy 63 December 30th 05 02:37 PM
New regs for who can fit gas boilers?? Lobster UK diy 15 December 10th 04 07:19 PM
Should conventional floor standing gas boilers be serviced each year? Andy Hall UK diy 6 January 28th 04 09:40 PM