Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chipped Crystal Glass

We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2 mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim is
moulded rather than cut?

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 13:53:04 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2 mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim is
moulded rather than cut?

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?

Angle grinder, diamond disk.
I saw someone cut a glass jam jar by immersing most of it in water to damp out vibrations that would otherwise cause it to shatter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:53:02 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to
smooth it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by
about 2 mm. Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems
tha the rim is moulded rather than cut?

If it's moulded rather than cut why not just bin it? It's not worth
trying to fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2 mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim
is
moulded rather than cut?

Not moulded so much as partially melted as
the glass was made from the blob of crystal.

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?

Not fixable IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:16:26 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You could grind it, but I'd do it by hand: get a flat sheet of glass,
use some fairly coarse carborundum grit (say -80s or -120s) scattered
fairly generously on the glass, wet it to make a paste, invert the
crystal whatever-it-is and grind away using a circular motion. It'll
be slow; you'll probably need to change the grit to finer grades as
you get down to below the edge of the chip, and the ground surface
will always be matt, never the original flame-polished edge it was.

Wot e said, only I'd use wet-or-dry paper, on a sheet of glass, lots of water.

Start coarse, maybe 120? Low pressure, too.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:16:26 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You could grind it, but I'd do it by hand: get a flat sheet of glass,
use some fairly coarse carborundum grit (say -80s or -120s) scattered
fairly generously on the glass, wet it to make a paste, invert the
crystal whatever-it-is and grind away using a circular motion.

Wot e said, only I'd use wet-or-dry paper, on a sheet of glass, lots of water.

Shouldnt it be glasspaper?

Ill get my coat

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-01 1:30 p.m., Marland wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:16:26 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You could grind it, but I'd do it by hand: get a flat sheet of glass,
use some fairly coarse carborundum grit (say -80s or -120s) scattered
fairly generously on the glass, wet it to make a paste, invert the
crystal whatever-it-is and grind away using a circular motion.

Wot e said, only I'd use wet-or-dry paper, on a sheet of glass, lots of water.

Shouldnt it be glasspaper?

Ill get my coat

GH

either or both will work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 13:53:04 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2 mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim is
moulded rather than cut?

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?

When I tried to cut glass goods on an abrasive disc tile cutter they always shattered. I presume the abrasive was too coarse. I was certainly being gentle.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No the inside is often at a different tension which is why one chip leads
to more and more.
Horrible stuff if damaged. If it was part of a set, if you know the
company they might be able to sell you a replacement.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"dkol" wrote in message

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to
smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2
mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim
is
moulded rather than cut?

Not moulded so much as partially melted as
the glass was made from the blob of crystal.

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?

Not fixable IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q0g4ur$e9a$3@dont-
email.me:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:53:02 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to
smooth it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by
about 2 mm. Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems
tha the rim is moulded rather than cut?

If it's moulded rather than cut why not just bin it? It's not worth
trying to fix.

Ah - I suspect "Flame Polished" is a description of the rim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:15:00 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Ah - I suspect "Flame Polished" is a description of the rim.

If the OP is serious about repairing this glass then the last step will
be to run a flame around the rim to blunten the sharp edge.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4nkcrv

Thanks - beyond me!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
We have a chip in the rim of a crystal glass. I have tried emery to smooth
it - but really it needs the whole of the rim grinding down by about 2 mm.
Should this be possible? Will it be satisfactory as it seems tha the rim is
moulded rather than cut?

Any advice on sourcing a repair if advised?

When I was at university, we had a bloke in the basement who made all
the special glass apparatus, discharge lamps, etc required for the
physics experiments. Every few years, he did a public demo showing how
different things were made, and that was something not to be missed -
he was amazing. I got to make a small discharge tube in the glass
workshop.

Apparently, a few members of staff regularly brought in wine glasses
to have chips taken out. He did it, but commented on the poor quality
of the glasses and that if they were good quality, they wouldn't chip
so easily.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn explained :
Chris Hogg wrote in
:

https://tinyurl.com/yc4nkcrv

Thanks - beyond me!

I have seen it done in a glass factory, making fancy drinking glasses
amongst mass produced items like milk bottles, beer bottles and cheap
molded drinking glasses. For the fancy hand made ones, they had them on
an automatic process, a powered revolving table and a small gas flame
would come in for just a few seconds on the rotating rim. The cooling
glasses would then move along on a conveyor.

In my teens I would cut, bend join and carry out the above process on
glass tube for chemistry experiments. It was quite a satisfying
process, I remember.

If it is chipped, you probably have nothing to loose in trying, or take
it to a neon sign maker, to see if they could do it.

Chipped Bath xavier UK diy 13 October 4th 17 06:10 PM
We have DMT Crystal,Crystal Meth,Cocaine,Heroin,Opium,Ibogaine,LSD,Fentanyland other related...Amitriptyline, Anabolics, Antibiotics, Atenolol, Ativan, [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 13th 15 04:06 AM
Crystal Rock Outerwear - Discount Crystal Rock Womens Outerwear [email protected] UK diy 0 May 21st 09 03:08 PM
I've chipped the sink MikeR UK diy 13 June 7th 05 07:32 PM
chipped finish on dining room table Charlie Woodworking 2 April 16th 04 02:51 PM