Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 05:12:26 -0000, David Wade wrote:

On 07/01/2019 01:17, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 00:50:07 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 18:31:01 -0000, wrote:

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 15:23:19 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I wasn't aware lead acids were so fragile. I have my old car
connected to an old Bradex 4A charger 24/7, as the alarm runs the
battery flat. The charger indicates it's delivering 0.5 amps after
it's been sat for a while, and I've measured it at 14.4V. Surely
charging a 60Ah battery at 0.5A (which is a 5 day charge!) can't
possibly break it?

Unregulated chargers have killed many batteries when left on too long.

I'm not so sure lead acids are that fussy. Everybody tells me you must
never flatten one, yet I've had a battery which I let run completely
flat about 20 times, and it still works fine. And I don't believe
overcharging it at a 5 day charge rate could kill it. Oh well, if it
breaks it breaks, I've loads of batteries kicking about. I'll buy a
nicer charger if it dies. I was going to get a Li-Ion battery if it
died (they'd have their own charge protection), but since those cost WAY
more than I thought, I won't bother.

The little Lidl/Aldi charger at about 14 quid - similar to Ctek at
several
times the price - changes to a maintenance mode when the battery is fully
charged and can be left like that indefinitely. Very simple to do these
days with electronics.

I'd be most surprised if Li-Ion was worth it for a car starter battery. A
decent lead acid should do 10 years plus of normal use. Any weight saving
hardly worth the considerable extra cost.

I don't think even Rolls Royce fit Li-Ion.

I guess we'll get them when the cost comes down. Which it'll have to do
if electric cars are to become viable. But er.... then we won't have
starter batteries :-)

Seem quite popular for Motor Cycles, but I can't think why....

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....d=18&chapter=1

Weight, which is more significant on a motorbike than a car.
Mind you, they could be like my friend who's into mountain biking, who insists on paying £1000 for a part that saves him 10 grammes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Harry Bloomfield, Mentonmadame wrote:
I have this charger, it won't over charge. Once the battery is charged it
switches over to trickle charge and maintain.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1336921-.htm