Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp proof membranes, is it normal not to worry about holes in them?

I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

I wouldn't worry about it ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 December 2018 15:03:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

--
Chris Green
·

They are there to top the passage of water vapour, not actual water & therefore are not totally waterproof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

Change proof to "control" & it makes more relative sense.

Slightly more troubling is 'bolts through the underfloor dpm...?
How thick is the floor? Made of what?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
Chris Green Wrote in message:
I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

Change proof to "control" & it makes more relative sense.

Slightly more troubling is 'bolts through the underfloor dpm...?
How thick is the floor? Made of what?

In my case I have a massive great concrete slab that forms the
entire floor with the DPM under that and up the sides. Any
bolts used to bolt the SIPs to that slab don't go thru the DPM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been watching a lot of Holmes on Homes videos on youtube,
pretty certain that in one he said that each puncture hole in the membrane lets through a cupful of water a year.

He rips out a lot of soggy mouldy rockwool.

He's canadian - they need insulation there summer and winter !

George

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 3:03:06 PM UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs
supplied by a local supplier (http://www.supersips.uk.com).

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the
DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels
and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems
to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is
fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the
membranes?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 January 2019 21:57:27 UTC, George Miles wrote:
[...]

Info on the topic here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstitial_condensation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2019 21:57, George Miles wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a reason not to use rockwool in that particular scenario...

You can't rely on DPM being 100%. It needs to slow ingress to the point
where what little makes it through can escape via other means.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Is it murican?
Some of it is well garbled.

"Spray foams*may also act as a vapour barrier"

Mmm
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Worry, worry KenK Home Repair 13 November 7th 15 09:51 PM
kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint K UK diy 18 March 7th 08 05:37 PM
Damp problem... DIY chemical damp-proof kit? Mike D UK diy 13 June 19th 07 02:59 PM
cracking drywall, what normal, not normal [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 5th 06 07:27 AM
Why are "Ice and Water" roof membranes always "peel-and-stick" ??? Joe Home Repair 23 November 19th 04 03:38 AM