Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wera screwdriver sets?

Hi all,

I've seen mention here of 'Wera' screwdrivers and saw a set at
Homebase whilst looking for a good fit screwdriver for some laptop
screws the other day.

It seems a 'good' Philips No1 fits these screws, as can some Philips
No0 drivers, but not all.

My test being does the screw stay on the tip of the driver when it's
held near horizontal (non-magnetic).

As a starting point, this Wera KK60 set I saw only goes down to a Ph
No1 but I don't know if the tip of that would be small enough to fit
these laptop screws and so wondered if they did a smaller (sized tip)
set for finer work and if so what (do the panel recommend) and do they
typically fit nicely in these screws please (so likely you would have
to have used them on a laptop to know)?

(I would be happy to have a range of other tips in similarly small
sizes if they were likely to be good and last etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2018 21:05, T i m wrote:
[...]

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese
cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:36:35 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese
cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

(Ah, that makes a lot of sense re why it seems quite hard to find a
std Ph/Po bit that fits nicely).

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.

Understood.

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:56:43 +0000, T i m wrote:

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers are usually available
on EBay. Filing the tip of a Phillips (NOT Posidrive) a tad often
produces an acceptable fit especially at smaller sixes.

(make sure you use a metric tad, not an imperial one).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2018 22:56, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:36:35 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese
cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

(Ah, that makes a lot of sense re why it seems quite hard to find a
std Ph/Po bit that fits nicely).

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.

Understood.

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

eBay, Amazon. You could just Google "Japanese Screwdrivers".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:36:35 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese
cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

(Ah, that makes a lot of sense re why it seems quite hard to find a
std Ph/Po bit that fits nicely).

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.

Understood.

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Mmmm now let's think it through for a moment....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:36:35 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese
cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

(Ah, that makes a lot of sense re why it seems quite hard to find a
std Ph/Po bit that fits nicely).

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.

Understood.

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Put JIS screwdrivers in to ebay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

It seems a 'good' Philips No1 fits these screws, as can some Philips
No0 drivers, but not all.

Lookout for Japanese JIS screwdrivers, though I have a set that goes
down from Philips1 to Phillips000 and never found anything in a laptop
it can't tackle

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 23:07:32 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 22:56:43 +0000, T i m wrote:

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please,
other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers are usually available
on EBay.

Ok thanks, I'll have a rummage.

Filing the tip of a Phillips (NOT Posidrive) a tad often
produces an acceptable fit especially at smaller sixes.

Yes, that's sorta what I felt I needed, a Ph0 that was slightly
'fuller' or a Ph1 that had a good point on it (and what I already have
and that generally do the job ok).

(make sure you use a metric tad, not an imperial one).

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 08:25:27 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

It seems a 'good' Philips No1 fits these screws, as can some Philips
No0 drivers, but not all.

Lookout for Japanese JIS screwdrivers,

Ok.

though I have a set that goes
down from Philips1 to Phillips000 and never found anything in a laptop
it can't tackle

No, quite, I have always managed but felt there might be a better
solution (hence the reference to my intended use in the question).

In many cases the Xhead driver on my Leatherman will remove the base
screws on a laptop with no damage [1] (as it seem to have a fairly
fine tip) but not always (nor is it particularly fast / nice to use as
the screwdriver is offset from the centre).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Can we assume all laptops are made in the Far East and therefore
would use JIS head screws? I ask as I believe I have had varying
results with different (apparent) makes of laptop?

[1] Ideally you wouldn't be able to tell that the laptop had been
apart because there would be no sign of use on the screw heads (even
if they were tight).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

[...]

You'll possibly find this of interest:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 11:34:45 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip

You'll possibly find this of interest:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/

Skimmed and bookmarked, thanks.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

It seems a 'good' Philips No1 fits these screws, as can some Philips
No0 drivers, but not all.

Lookout for Japanese JIS screwdrivers,

Ok.

though I have a set that goes
down from Philips1 to Phillips000 and never found anything in a laptop
it can't tackle

No, quite, I have always managed but felt there might be a better
solution (hence the reference to my intended use in the question).

In many cases the Xhead driver on my Leatherman will remove the base
screws on a laptop with no damage [1] (as it seem to have a fairly
fine tip) but not always (nor is it particularly fast / nice to use as
the screwdriver is offset from the centre).

p.s. Can we assume all laptops are made in the Far East

Not quite 100%, there are a few that arent.

and therefore would use JIS head screws?

Not clear that they all are, particularly
those made in china, tiawan, thailand etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ves#JIS_B_1012

I ask as I believe I have had varying results
with different (apparent) makes of laptop?

[1] Ideally you wouldn't be able to tell that the laptop
had been apart because there would be no sign of use

? on the screw heads (even if they were tight).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 03:42:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll****

03:42 am in Australia? And you are busy trolling again, senile Rot? Did
ANYONE talk to you over the holidays? Doesn't look like it! LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

dado sets and box joint sets Electric Comet Woodworking 7 January 19th 17 02:23 AM
Wera ratchet screwdriver rbel[_2_] UK diy 22 December 1st 13 07:45 PM
Gas Generator Sets, Diesel Generator Sets, Gas Turbines and Power Plants PBMTWW UK diy 1 September 1st 11 10:34 AM
vde screwdriver sets Fred UK diy 25 October 23rd 10 09:17 PM
Wera Tools [email protected] UK diy 14 May 14th 07 04:49 PM