Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Drilling a hole for an outside socket

Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2018-12-24 10:44 a.m., ARW wrote:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

the nut behind the drill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 December 2018 17:44:36 UTC, ARW wrote:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.
In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

Mrs Copper nee-Handyman "tidied" the bottle?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2018 17:44, ARW wrote:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

I could write a book called 'Misdrilled holes'.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW submitted this idea :
In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out on
the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

Your measurement and assessment was wrong, or too much Christmas spirit
perhaps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 17:44:35 +0000
ARW wrote:

Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or
the washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches
out on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what
went wrong?

Perhaps you are just the complete arsehole you seem to be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

Cavity wall?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." Wrote in message:
ARW Wrote in message:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

Cavity wall?

Ah just spotted "vertical"....

Too high or too low?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2018 17:44, ARW wrote:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

The brick line wasn't horizontal?

Merry Christmas by the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
It is more likely to be that the hole was not in fact at the point you
imagined. Its hard to follow the brick lines when a door frame is in the
way.

The question is why start from the outside in the first place if te pipes
are inside start from there and you will be sure not to hit them.
Brian

You get a neater finish to the hole if you start on the outside. The final
"breakthough" can be quite messy.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
It is more likely to be that the hole was not in fact at the point you
imagined. Its hard to follow the brick lines when a door frame is in the
way.

The question is why start from the outside in the first place if te pipes
are inside start from there and you will be sure not to hit them.
Brian

You get a neater finish to the hole if you start on the outside. The final
"breakthough" can be quite messy.

Drill a pilot hole from inside to exactly determine location, then drill
full size from the outside. If using a core drill stop before all the way
through and resume drilling from inside.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:21:49 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

The question is why start from the outside in the first place if

te
pipes are inside start from there and you will be sure not to hit

them.

Access is easier outside but then I'd like the hole on the inside to
have as easy access as possible in relation to any obstructions.

You get a neater finish to the hole if you start on the outside. The
final "breakthough" can be quite messy.

Only if you blast through full size with an SDS going full tilt. If
you back off the pressure for the last inch or so you won't knock a
great chunk off the face of the wall. Or go through with a small
drill first, then reverse drill that for most of the way (so most of
the dust ends up outside) and finish from the inside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 17:44:35 +0000, ARW wrote:

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went
wrong?

You counted brick courses up from the floor in the kitchen and up
from from the paving/ground level outside but forget the step up into
the kitchen.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2018 09:33, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"charles"* wrote in message ...

In article ,
* Brian Gaff wrote:
It is more likely to be that the hole was not in fact at the point you
imagined. Its hard to follow the brick lines when a door frame is in the
way.

The question is why start from the outside in the first place if te
pipes
are inside start from there and you will be sure not to hit them.
*Brian

You get a neater finish to the hole if you start on the outside. The
final
"breakthough" can be quite messy.

Drill a pilot hole from inside to exactly determine location, then drill
full size from the outside. If using a core drill stop before all the
way through and resume drilling from inside.

Andrew

+1

Starting with a TCT core without hammer will get a neat hole both sides,
even if you switch to a full sized SDS bit to take out the bulk. I
usually take an 8mm (or whatever the pilot for the TCT bit is) long
drill to go right through.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/12/2018 09:33, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"charles" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

I have a 1 metre long 8mm drill for just that purpose.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/12/2018 10:33, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 17:44:35 +0000, ARW wrote:

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went
wrong?

You counted brick courses up from the floor in the kitchen and up
from from the paving/ground level outside but forget the step up into
the kitchen.

Both of us?

The bricks are not level.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The drill bit was into the kitchens concrete floor.

There is no need to fix a 16mm hole.

On 25/12/2018 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
..
I'd like to know where the first hole came out, not in the kitchen, but
presumably somewhere. I'd have ascertained this before even attempting a
second hole. Also how did you fix the old hole?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Just fitted an outside socket at my friends daughters house.

I failed at my first attempt. I then got my mate Dave to double check
why the drill bit never entered the kitchen.

We both double checked the measurements (ie following the brick line
from the back door around the corner of the kitchen to the bottle of
washing up liquid that he had placed on the windowsill for a vertical
measurement so that I did not hit the incoming cold water supply or the
washing machines water supply.

In the end we drilled from inside to out and we were both 12 inches out
on the vertical. The kitchen floor is reasonably level so what went wrong?

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in normal
pro use, though.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 09:33:09 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

"charles" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
It is more likely to be that the hole was not in fact at the point you
imagined. Its hard to follow the brick lines when a door frame is in the
way.

The question is why start from the outside in the first place if te pipes
are inside start from there and you will be sure not to hit them.
Brian

You get a neater finish to the hole if you start on the outside. The final
"breakthough" can be quite messy.

Drill a pilot hole from inside to exactly determine location, then drill
full size from the outside. If using a core drill stop before all the way
through and resume drilling from inside.

Andrew

I wanted a 25mm hole for an outside tap (allowed for a bit of insulation
stuffed in before making good. Pilot drill from inside, no plaster so went
centre brick. Through inner leaf horizontally, hit the bottom edge of a
brick on the outer leaf.
Ran the 25mm drill through from each side to cavity and 15mm pipe wouldn't
go through. No debri - just the f'ing courses out and enough offset for a
cock-up. Took far longer to 'fettle' the hole than it did to drill it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could be a sequel for one I saw on eBay earlier...

€śBiggles Takes It Rough€ť!

Different times!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
[...]

I have a laser level.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CIMG5886.JPG

It's just that both me and TMH decided we knew better......

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/12/2018 13:07, GB wrote:

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

That would have meant putting down the cans of beers we had just opened:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2018 10:35, ARW wrote:
On 25/12/2018 13:07, GB wrote:

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got
one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in
normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

That would have meant putting down the cans of beers we had just opened:-)

Measure thickness of wall.

Drill through all but last 40 mm or so.

Poke a length of metal pipe into the hole and use a
metal detector on the unbroken surface to find the
location to confirm measurements.

If any discrepancy, have another beer, or some strong
coffee to counteract previous beers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 10:33:22 +0000, ARW
wrote:

It's just that both me and TMH decided we knew better......

Give our regards to Dave. Hope he is keeping busy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2018 10:33, ARW wrote:

It's just that both me and TMH decided we knew better......

TMH? Merry Christmas!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

The two halves of the old Forth Road Bridge were closer than that!!
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2018 20:39, bert wrote:
In article , GB
writes

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies. Got
one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in
normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

The two halves of the old Forth Road Bridge were closer than that!!

In defence of the OP, there wasn't a brick wall between them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Richard
writes
On 27/12/2018 20:39, bert wrote:
In article , GB
writes

Sounds like a use for one of those self levelling laser thingies.
Got one
from Lidl earlier this year and have only used it once - but was very
useful. Not sure how well it would stand up to be thrown around in
normal
pro use, though.

It sounds like a job for one of those tape measure thingies. Measure
inside and outside from some fixed point like the window sill. It may
not be spot on, but it won't be out by 12".

The two halves of the old Forth Road Bridge were closer than that!!

In defence of the OP, there wasn't a brick wall between them

True. Line of sight does make a difference.
--
bert