Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you do metal knurling in a drill press?

I have a drill press which is 220 watts. I'd like to knurl some copper razor handles with it. Is 220 watts enough power to get a good deep knurl, and how should I secure the bottom end so it is centred? Basically, can anyone tell me how I can make this work. I don't have room for a lathe. Thanks for any help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 December 2018 01:07:05 UTC, Eusebius wrote:
I have a drill press which is 220 watts. I'd like to knurl some copper razor handles with it. Is 220 watts enough power to get a good deep knurl, and how should I secure the bottom end so it is centred? Basically, can anyone tell me how I can make this work. I don't have room for a lathe. Thanks for any help.

Your big problem will be holding andc ontrolling the knurling tool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius Wrote in message:
I have a drill press which is 220 watts. I'd like to knurl some copper razor handles with it. Is 220 watts enough power to get a good deep knurl, and how should I secure the bottom end so it is centred? Basically, can anyone tell me how I can make this work. I don't have room for a lathe. Thanks for any help.

I refer you to the same question you asked in September...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 01:07, Eusebius wrote:

I have a drill press which is 220 watts. I'd like to knurl some
copper razor handles with it. Is 220 watts enough power to get a good
deep knurl

Can't see why not...

, and how should I secure the bottom end so it is centred?

Small flat bit of wood with a couple of bearings screwed to it. You can
offer that up to the side of the copper, and clamp it to the table.

Basically, can anyone tell me how I can make this work. I don't have
room for a lathe.

Copper is fairly soft, so you will likely be able to knurl with a hand
knurling tool. The two wheel type will be easiest since you can then
push against the direction supported by the bearings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:07:03 -0800 (PST), Eusebius
wrote:

I have a drill press which is 220 watts. I'd like to knurl some copper razor handles with it. Is 220 watts enough power to get a good deep knurl, and how should I secure the bottom end so it is centred?
Basically, can anyone tell me how I can make this work. I don't have room for a lathe. Thanks for any help.

Knurling is done on a lathe because that is the safest way to do it.

The power of the drill press is really the least of your concerns. It's quite
likely, depending on the geometry of the knurling tool, and the support of the
workpiece, and the retention of the chuck in the drill press, and the bearings
on the drill quill, to go very wrong.

But if you don't mind terminally wrecking your drill press then it is possible

You'd probably need a milling machine and a boring head to make the jig to
facilitate it though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The power of the drill press is really the least of your concerns. It's quite
likely, depending on the geometry of the knurling tool, and the support of the
workpiece, and the retention of the chuck in the drill press, and the bearings
on the drill quill, to go very wrong. But if you don't mind terminally wrecking your drill press then it is possible

That's a point. Are the bearings different on a lathe? I can see that the piece should be supported both ends
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:09:56 -0800 (PST), Eusebius
wrote:

The power of the drill press is really the least of your concerns. It's quite
likely, depending on the geometry of the knurling tool, and the support of the
workpiece, and the retention of the chuck in the drill press, and the bearings
on the drill quill, to go very wrong. But if you don't mind terminally wrecking your drill press then it is possible

That's a point. Are the bearings different on a lathe? I can see that the piece should be supported both ends

Bearings on a lathe are catering for axial and radial loads a drill
press just axial ones.

The chuck on a lathe is either clamped or bolted or screwed onto the
spindle. In almost all operations it's not going to come loose.

The drill chuck in a drill press might be just a press fit in the
spindle (maybe morse taper or jacobs taper)

Apply side loads (such as you'd do if attempting to mill) and the
chuck and whatever it is holding can just fall out. Same load path
with a knurling tool. Axial restraint of the workpiece between the
chuck and the table is essential.

Clamp type knurlers should be slightly safer than those approaching
from one side

Even a half horse motor(375W) on a lathe will easily faclitate
knurling on mild steel / brass

Plus copper can be a sod to machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOtherMike - could you possibly email me? I need to talk to somebody who understands lathes. Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 23:18:04 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

Bearings on a lathe are catering for axial and radial loads a drill
press just axial ones.

The OP seems to be unaware of the radial loading involved. I have a drill
press and a milling machine among other bits and pieces and the the
difference in the bearings between the two is staggering. Whilst I could
easily clasp the drill press bearings in the palm of one hand, I couldn't
even get both hands around the mill bearings; they're *massive* ****ers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 December 2018 15:31:50 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 23:18:04 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

Bearings on a lathe are catering for axial and radial loads a drill
press just axial ones.

The OP seems to be unaware of the radial loading involved. I have a drill
press and a milling machine among other bits and pieces and the the
difference in the bearings between the two is staggering. Whilst I could
easily clasp the drill press bearings in the palm of one hand, I couldn't
even get both hands around the mill bearings; they're *massive* ****ers.

I, the OP, am unaware of many things hence the thread. But is the radial loading that bad with a scissors knurler? It would obviously be ridiculous to use a side knurler and push it onto the piece - the radial pressure would be far too much as above. But a scissors knurler, if the piece were held top and bottom?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 13:55:44 -0800, Eusebius wrote:

I, the OP, am unaware of many things hence the thread. But is the radial
ridiculous to use a side knurler and push it onto the piece - the radial
pressure would be far too much as above. But a scissors knurler, if the
piece were held top and bottom?

In that scenario, you'd probably be fine for a limited run. But it would
*have* to be kind of knurler that puts equal pressure on both sides of
the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of the things I'll have to do in my drill press is fix up some sort of live centre. I can use a MT2 part which will fit into the 19mm diameter hole in the centre of the table, but I don't know how to secure it other than wrapping some tape around it to make the 17.8mm diameter of the morse taper (at the top) fit into the 19mm hole.

Any ideas?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MT2-MT3-S...53.m1438.l2649