Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the best phone/net package in BT land?

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 16:48:21 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Bill used his keyboard to write :
The dire ones were Talktalk and Onetel. I forget which one of those it
was that said " Oh where it says underscore in the username in the
letter we sent you, it should be a dot", but both were awful.

Talktalk support become even more useless if you have any but a minor
issue..

I use TalkTalk, but only the wholesale side, and that means I don't have
to deal with their support. They're fine for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare was thinking very hard :
Thank you for mentioning that. The previous ADSL routers I have had from
Plusnet have allowed 10.x.x.x local networks.

I can confirm that the Plusnet FTTC router, the same hardware as the BT
one, does not support 10.x.x.x
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

Its going to depend a bit on where you live as well. In a fairly densely
packed town, the wiring etc may well be quite reliable, so its less
likely you will need to get faults fixed. If you live out in the sticks
on long cable runs, then its a matter of "how often" and not "if" when
it comes to fixes.

I run two connections on two separate (very long 6km) lines, and expect
to have at least one fault a year on one or other. Fortunately I have
only lost both at the same time once in the last 10 years.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 9:52:13 AM UTC, tim... wrote:
wrote in message
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

almost everyone does unlimited now

and usually at much less than 50 quid

what special service are you currently buying that costs that 50 quid?

None, but living in the Hull area, I am tied to Kingston Communications so
have to cough up whatever they are offering. See:

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/br...RoCrtAQAvD_BwE

as a monopoly provider don't you have the choice of an open market
alternative?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

that how it is with me and plusnet

I only ever need to contact them when I move house (and they give you a
bloody good deal on the installation fees for agreeing a long initial
contract)

No service issues and they don't bump up the price by 20% each year hoping
that you don't notice causing you to have to call them to haggle to put it
back down again.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright explained :
I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

That was not my experience a few years ago. Indian call centres, where
the staff struggled to speak and understand English, plus just reading
from a script of fixes. You were sent around around the same loop,
every time you rang to progress the same issue and extremely difficult
to get through to anyone competent. Email server (even now) is
regularly inaccessible. They blocked newsgroup access for months.

If it all works without issue, it is fine, but God help you if you have
an issue...

The last straw was TT getting hacked and having all my details out in
the open for all to see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 19:22, tim... wrote:

No service issues and they don't bump up the price by 20% each year
hoping that you don't notice causing you to have to call them to haggle
to put it back down again.

It can still be worth calling them and haggling. With some ISP's you can
sometimes get a reduction below what you'd previously been paying if you
phone and say you're thinking of leaving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. May's cunning plan becomes apparent.

In article ,
Pamela wrote:
On 16:24 21 Dec 2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
in :

In article ,
Pamela wrote:

So really not much point in the WTO at all? If it has rules anyone
can break at any time?

You replied to Rod Speed posting as Tim J. I quickly discovered he
hasn't got a clue about WTO trade and he doesn't seem able to learn
when given the facts.

It that Wodney too? Odd how I missed him. I have pretty sensitive
Woddar

Rod was careful to make "Tim J" like a normal poster but his true self
shone through soon enough.

Yes. Perhaps he was taking his meds properly for once.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Yep. In my head plusnet A&A IDnet and Zen are the go to for competent
people

+1 for Zen.Â* Don't often have problems, but when we do, they are on the
ball, and the help people are in the UK.Â* We pay around 50 per month for
phone and unlimited FTTC broadband.

Plusnet is around half that - £24/m for 66Mb/s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Plusnet is around half that - £24/m for 66Mb/s

Only if you're on an introductory, or retention deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

Plusnet is around 50% cheaper for exactly the same service, and they use
the same infrastructure as they are owned by BT...

Customer service of Plusnet is light years better than BT though.

Only reason to use BT is if you want BT Sport that is heavily discounted
for BT BB customers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm
to KCOM.

TIA.

Try
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/co...ls_and_offers/

But check the ISP website(s) for better deals.
IME Plusnet are a better price and service than BT. YMMV

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

The rest are much of a muchness these days.
Several are now BT with a different logo and paint job.

Bear in mind that BT is in the numbers game. If you have issues you will
simply be fobbed off onto an Indian call center where someowne will read
te numpty scriopt for you to follow.

The smaller ISPs cost a little more, but offer far better support.

Not in my experience at all. BT is the British Gas of the telecom
market, i.e. most expensive and rubbish.

Luckily they bought Plusnet a few years ago. They have kept them
sparate to allow them to target the price-savy customers (they are ~50%
cheaper for identical deals), without stoping them from continueing to
screw the others who are less savy. Customer service of Plusnet is kept
also separate (Sheffield instead of India) and is 1st class.

yes, they all use openreach kit, but its your ISP who has to contact
them for line faults.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

almost everyone does unlimited now

and usually at much less than 50 quid

what special service are you currently buying that costs that 50 quid?

None, but living in the Hull area, I am tied to Kingston Communications so have to cough up whatever they are offering. See:

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/br...RoCrtAQAvD_BwE

Plusnet are £21/m for 30ish Mb/s compared to KC's £40.

If you need much faster speed than that - max over BT lines is typically
around 60 Mb/s - it is more expensive than KC.

I'm on 30Mb/s. It is used for 4 PCs/Laptops doing the usual things + at
least 2 devices streaming HD Netflix + a couple of TVs connected to
Sky/Netflix (Sky recorded programs are streamed live as well). All work
at the same time and never had any problem with speed.

If you want free calls as well then just buy a simple mobile for a
tenner and put a £6/month SIM in it with unlimited calls (and texts and
some data) from he https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

One tip not heavily promoted is to pay your line rental for a year in
advance. If you can afford to. Saves a lot more than you can earn in
interest easily.

Another thing that will save you money is getting all (or more than one
of) the services from one provider - i.e. phone line, broadband, TV
package and/or mobile.

They are very keen on these, and the discount will be the best from my
experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

Plusnet is around 50% cheaper for exactly the same service, and they use
the same infrastructure as they are owned by BT...

Customer service of Plusnet is light years better than BT though.

Only reason to use BT is if you want BT Sport that is heavily discounted
for BT BB customers.

and if you don't want BT sport that's the reason not to be with BT

not to be forced to cross subsidise BT Sports customers

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,
wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

One tip not heavily promoted is to pay your line rental for a year in
advance. If you can afford to. Saves a lot more than you can earn in
interest easily.

Another thing that will save you money is getting all (or more than one
of) the services from one provider - i.e. phone line, broadband, TV
package and/or mobile.

I choose not to bundle my TV and it's cheaper than any bundle offers it at

Zero pounds

and I have more choice than I know what to do with

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:48:49 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , Broadback
writes
I understand that Plusnet is actually owned by BT. I have been very
happy with their service over number of years, though of late they have
messed up their billing system, though that now seems sorted.

I'm also happy with Plusnet, and I know of several others round here
with them, all happy, as well. Their rebadged BT router denies you the
option of a local network in the 10.x.x.x range caused a bit of hassle
here, though.

Yes the supplied PlusNet router is rubbish, and before anyone signs
up for a new PlusNet account, take a look at their forums,
particularly the feedback one, for a fair view on current customer
service. 'Dire' would be putting a gloss on it. Billing and account
management seems particularly badly run. This degradation in what
used to be a well regarded supplier seems to date from the BT
takeover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JoeJoe
writes
On 21/12/2018 14:05, Graeme wrote:

+1 for Zen.* Don't often have problems, but when we do, they are on
the ball, and the help people are in the UK.* We pay around 50 per
month for phone and unlimited FTTC broadband.

Plusnet is around half that - £24/m for 66Mb/s

For our 50pm we get speeds in excess of 100 Mbps, excellent customer
service, unlimited phone calls and, most importantly, unlimited
downloads. Real unlimited, not toy unlimited subject to restrictions.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

that how it is with me and plusnet

I only ever need to contact them when I move house (and they give you a
bloody good deal on the installation fees for agreeing a long initial
contract)

No service issues and they don't bump up the price by 20% each year
hoping that you don't notice causing you to have to call them to haggle
to put it back down again.

Its worth noting with plusnet they will not automatically shift you to
new deals even when the one you are on is discontinued and replaced with
something else. So its worth checking what you are buying against the
current offers from time to time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 00:09, JoeJoe wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

Plusnet is around 50% cheaper for exactly the same service, and they use
the same infrastructure as they are owned by BT...

Customer service of Plusnet is light years better than BT though.

Only reason to use BT is if you want BT Sport that is heavily discounted
for BT BB customers.

Plusnet also offer BT sport as an extra. (not sure how it compares price
wise though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 19:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bill Wright explained :
I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

That was not my experience a few years ago. Indian call centres, where
the staff struggled to speak and understand English, plus just reading
from a script of fixes. You were sent around around the same loop, every
time you rang to progress the same issue and extremely difficult to get
through to anyone competent. Email server (even now) is regularly
inaccessible. They blocked newsgroup access for months.

If it all works without issue, it is fine, but God help you if you have
an issue...

The last straw was TT getting hacked and having all my details out in
the open for all to see.

The irony there is that I get spam/scam calls claiming to be "from
Talktalk your ISP"... and I have never even been a customer!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 18:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Michael Chare was thinking very hard :
Thank you for mentioning that. The previous ADSL routers I have had
from Plusnet have allowed 10.x.x.x local networks.

I can confirm that the Plusnet FTTC router, the same hardware as the BT
one, does not support 10.x.x.x

Not that you have to use the plusnet router...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 11:36, mechanic wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:48:49 +0000, Bill wrote:

In message , Broadback
writes
I understand that Plusnet is actually owned by BT. I have been very
happy with their service over number of years, though of late they have
messed up their billing system, though that now seems sorted.

I'm also happy with Plusnet, and I know of several others round here
with them, all happy, as well. Their rebadged BT router denies you the
option of a local network in the 10.x.x.x range caused a bit of hassle
here, though.

Yes the supplied PlusNet router is rubbish, and before anyone signs
up for a new PlusNet account, take a look at their forums,
particularly the feedback one, for a fair view on current customer
service. 'Dire' would be putting a gloss on it.

Having been a customer since close to their inception, I would say
support is not as good as it was at their best. However to call it
"dire" is not a something the majority of customers would recognise.

No doubt for *some* customers the service is dire, although I expect
that will be true for any ISP. (either because mistakes get made and you
are unlucky enough for them to affect you, or *you* are part of the
problem and would have problems with any ISP!)

Billing and account
management seems particularly badly run. This degradation in what
used to be a well regarded supplier seems to date from the BT
takeover.

Well to pick the highlights from the 2018 ISP review:

Broadband
* Plusnet had the highest customer satisfaction (86%)
* TalkTalk had the lowest customer satisfaction (72%)
* TalkTalk had the highest proportion of customers with a reason to
complain (18%)
* Plusnet had the lowest proportion of customers with a reason to
complain (13%)
* Plusnet had the longest call waiting times (7:50 mins)
* EE had the shortest call waiting times (48 seconds)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...y-quality.html

(alas these only compare the larger suppliers)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 13:03, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Well I get tonnes of calls claiming to be BT telling me to click on the
windows logo on my windows PC

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

almost everyone does unlimited now

and usually at much less than 50 quid

what special service are you currently buying that costs that 50 quid?

None, but living in the Hull area, I am tied to Kingston Communications so
have to cough up whatever they are offering. See:

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/br...RoCrtAQAvD_BwE

as a monopoly provider don't you have the choice of an open market
alternative?

tim

I was satisfied with the KCOM service, more or less, but now I am moving across the Humber, I will have to choose from a very large array of providers not available to me here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 13:10, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/12/2018 18:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Michael Chare was thinking very hard :
Thank you for mentioning that. The previous ADSL routers I have had
from Plusnet have allowed 10.x.x.x local networks.

I can confirm that the Plusnet FTTC router, the same hardware as the
BT one, does not support 10.x.x.x

Not that you have to use the plusnet router...

I plonked out on a Draytek that does ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL. So I am fttc
ready if I want to go that way.

It's available but costs more and is likely not much faster. - 2km to
the VDSL cab, 4.5km to the exchange DSLAM....I might get about 15Mbps
down and 1.2Mbps up

but really I am happy with 6Mbps down and 1Mbps up..its enough and
getting 50% more is not really sufficiently exciting to want to go for it

I think the moral here is that if you act like a dumb consumer you will
be fed expensive **** but if you do the research you can evaluate a lot
better options that are available

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 16:03, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , lid
says...

sigh. We were specifically talking about ADSL

not cable/fttp/fttc/vdsl etc etc

No, the OP only asked about broadband internet in
Lincolnshire. No specific delivery method [1] stated although
it is probable that his existing Kingston service is cable.

[1]"I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT
land in Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic
phone line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I
currently pay £50 pm to KCOM."

I can't see the magic letters ADSL there, can you?

Nop but I see the magic letters BT there.

BT does NOT do cable

From there the conversation established that ADSL was sufficient for
his needs

His actual words were BTland - i.e. not KCOM land - not
specifically to BT itself and, as all KCOM packages have
anlimited usage sllowance I assumed that by 100MB he means
100Mbs which coupled to his £50 monthly bill would seem, to
me, to point to fibre.

It may well do, but that is what he is moving *from* not what he is
moving *to*.

That - BTland - is twisted pair. Might be ADSL might JUST be VDSL (FTTC)

Wont be FFTP unless he is dead lucky

And looking at his needs, ADSL2+ is likely all he needs.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 4:23:47 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Wont be FFTP unless he is dead lucky

We have had FTTP for 4 years in the Hull area.

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/br...xoCZhIQAvD_BwE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm explained :
Not that you have to use the plusnet router...

Correct, I use the ex-BT version of the same router, in which OpenWRT
has been installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mechanic presented the following explanation :
Yes the supplied PlusNet router is rubbish, and before anyone signs
up for a new PlusNet account, take a look at their forums,
particularly the feedback one, for a fair view on current customer
service. 'Dire' would be putting a gloss on it. Billing and account
management seems particularly badly run. This degradation in what
used to be a well regarded supplier seems to date from the BT
takeover.

Perhaps so, but in the 13 months since I joined them, their service has
been exemplary. No issues with the line, no issues with billing, a
slight delay (couple of days) when I swapped to FTTC a few months ago.
No spam from the email account at all, no blocked ports, the email has
never been off that I noticed, no traffic shaping, no slowups - all of
these so unlike Talktalk I was used to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm explained on 22/12/2018 :
Having been a customer since close to their inception, I would say support is
not as good as it was at their best. However to call it "dire" is not a
something the majority of customers would recognise.

No doubt for *some* customers the service is dire, although I expect that
will be true for any ISP. (either because mistakes get made and you are
unlucky enough for them to affect you, or *you* are part of the problem and
would have problems with any ISP!)

On the very few occasions I have needed to ring them, I have had
brilliant accurate service, from English support staff whom I could
understand and they could understand me. No of the usual run around.

Billing and account
management seems particularly badly run. This degradation in what
used to be a well regarded supplier seems to date from the BT
takeover.

Well to pick the highlights from the 2018 ISP review:

The only problem is the wait time to get through has gradually
increased. I don't mind waiting patiently, if at least any issue gets
solved when I do get through. Much better than getting the run around
and no solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Bartram news@delete-
me.piglet-net.net scribeth thus
On 21/12/2018 03:13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

hahahaha

This is one of those very few times I'll agree completely with TNP. Talk
talk are a bunch of inept shysters who have a proven track record of
being ****ing useless. Whether it's getting their mail servers
blacklisted, having a huge data breach, or more mundane ****wittery, the
only thing you can rely on is that they will **** something up.

To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

Or Zen, one of if not the best ones...

B 'effing Tee would be the last firm I'd deal with for anything!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 03:13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

Bill

When talk talk took over freedom2surf they blocked text only Usenet
ports from mid afternoon to the early morning because they were "high
bandwidth". Overnight the staff on the F2s internal newsgroup went from
being friendly and helpfull to just repeating talk talk corporate lies.