Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Velux roof window

Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

Plenty how tos on YouTube.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb presented the following explanation :
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

I put a centre hinged one in 30 years ago. It took a lot of courage to
cut the hole, but it was much easier than I anticipated. The roof
timbers will need proper support where they need to be cut and the
cross timbers properly fixed.

I spent days rehearsing the exercise and chose a very dry day, just in
case, but still failed to properly check the supplied flashing in the
kit was enough, so had to ask Velux to deliver extra urgently and hope
it didn't rain until finished. I was lucky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 20:22, Tim Lamb wrote:

Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

In the past they certainly allowed a "Means of Escape" window...
although the rules changed after I did mine, and MoE windows became less
favoured...

https://assets.publishing.service.go...AD_B1_2013.pdf

Suggests that the requirements are easier for upper storeys less than
4.5m above ground.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

They are pretty easy...

Very easy if you have and open bit of roof and access to both sides,
however also doable with access from inside the roof only.

You may find the LABC want you to double up the rafters at the edges of
the window. (you will probably need to cut one rafter and trim it up to
allow a big enough opening). I did not need to since I had a dwarf wall
supporting the mid span of the rafters.

Here is one of the ones I did:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

(about half way down the page)

Note that was 2004 though, so slightly different rules in force.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 20:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

I found it very difficult to get the window into the frame by myself.
This was a roughly 1m2 window - it wasn't so much the weight (although
it was heavy) as getting everything lined up at an awkward height. In
the end I asked a mate to help - but we still found it tricky. Fitting
the frame was easy by comparison.

I'm sure it's a combination of knack and strength, though. I watched a
roofer put one in by himself - he just seemed to lift it from inside,
and sort of slot it in.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 20:22:57 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

When we had a dormer room put in our then bungalow, IIRC we only
needed a Velux roof light because the stairs down to the ground floor
came down into the kitchen-diner, a high-risk area apparently (chip
pan fires etc). That was 20 years ago and the regs may have changed
since then, but perhaps worth querying, and no I didn't do it myself,
although what was done didn't look that complicated.

The dormer rooms are fine as the windows meet the escape specification.

This one is classed as an *internal* living area. Had this cropped up
when the building regs. drawings were approved, the two planned roof
lights could have been installed in tandem: the lower then doubling as
an escape.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Tim Lamb presented the following explanation :
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit
from a bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

I put a centre hinged one in 30 years ago. It took a lot of courage to
cut the hole, but it was much easier than I anticipated. The roof
timbers will need proper support where they need to be cut and the
cross timbers properly fixed.

These are timber trusses but I'm hoping the spacing will be OK as I am
simply fitting a second light lower down the roof.

I spent days rehearsing the exercise and chose a very dry day, just in
case, but still failed to properly check the supplied flashing in the
kit was enough, so had to ask Velux to deliver extra urgently and hope
it didn't rain until finished. I was lucky.

The Velux site offers matching flashing kits. Presumably your roof
tiles/rafter spacing were unusual in some way.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Cant you just point out you already have BR approved
plans &
shrug a bit?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
wrote:

[...]

I guess BC can then shrug a bit and refuse to sign off.

Actually the original approved design showed a protected corridor (fire
doors and smoke detector) giving access to a bathroom with an acceptable
window.

I had forgotten this when the doors were installed and sparkie missed
the smoke alarm. All retrievable but there is a cost/convenience balance
against the Velux route.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 19/12/2018 20:22, Tim Lamb wrote:

Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit
from a bedroom in the chalet bungalow.
One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete
tiles.

In the past they certainly allowed a "Means of Escape" window...
although the rules changed after I did mine, and MoE windows became
less favoured...

https://assets.publishing.service.go...s/system/uploa
ds/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

Interestingly, that would not download because I had a Windows update
pending!

Pretty much confirms what BC wants.

Suggests that the requirements are easier for upper storeys less than
4.5m above ground.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

They are pretty easy...

Very easy if you have and open bit of roof and access to both sides,
however also doable with access from inside the roof only.

You may find the LABC want you to double up the rafters at the edges of
the window. (you will probably need to cut one rafter and trim it up to
allow a big enough opening). I did not need to since I had a dwarf wall
supporting the mid span of the rafters.

There is a convenient dwarf wall here already.

Here is one of the ones I did:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

I'm not that adventurous:-)

Plan at the moment is to get a price from a local Velux installer and
then decide. I will do the internal finishing anyway.

(about half way down the page)

Note that was 2004 though, so slightly different rules in force.

Ta.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
wrote:

[...]

If the sparkie "missed" it get him to sort it?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

Some years ago now, but I've put 4 in, working completely from inside.
Fitting was no problem at all, only tricky bit was working out exactly
where to put them to minimise cutting of rafters and roof tiles. I
used Velux windows and flashing kits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb was thinking very hard :
The Velux site offers matching flashing kits. Presumably your roof
tiles/rafter spacing were unusual in some way.

The usual flat clay tiles, but with considerably more overlap than
usual. All parts of the roof have a triple thickness of tile, so more
flashing sections were needed, than were supplied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm brought next idea :
Some years ago now, but I've put 4 in, working completely from inside.
Fitting was no problem at all, only tricky bit was working out exactly
where to put them to minimise cutting of rafters and roof tiles. I
used Velux windows and flashing kits.

I also managed mine entirely from inside. Lifting the window and
aligning it to drop in the hinges was tricky, but do-able on my own. It
had to be lifted edgewise through the aperture, then brought down.
From memory (centre hinged) I had to insert it upside down / outside to
in, then once on its hinges, it rotates around 300 degrees to close.

Once dropped on its hinges, a metal pin springs out from each hinge, to
stop it accidently being turned back off the hinges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
wrote:

[...]

Day rates. I could do it myself.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

We have several of these - 6 - with the best will in the world, I wouldnt
like to have to climb out of one. As for anyone say 5ft tall doing it,
near on impossible. In our house, there is only a 1/2 flight of stairs
(perhaps 8) to the primary exit so it isnt an issue (the house is split
level). However, Im always curious when I see reference to Velux windows
(which are great as windows) as an escape route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

We have several of these - 6 - with the best will in the world, I wouldnt
like to have to climb out of one. As for anyone say 5ft tall doing it,
near on impossible. In our house, there is only a 1/2 flight of stairs
(perhaps 8) to the primary exit so it isnt an issue (the house is split
level). However, Im always curious when I see reference to Velux windows
(which are great as windows) as an escape route.

Quite. I suppose you can hang on to the lower edge before sliding off
the roof to the ground below. I guess this is still preferable to being
toasted.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
wrote:

[...]

IOW you didn't tell him did you?
Oopsy
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Chris Hogg

I had forgotten this when the doors were installed and sparkie missed
the smoke alarm. All retrievable but there is a cost/convenience balance
against the Velux route.

If the sparkie "missed" it get him to sort it?

Day rates. I could do it myself.

IOW you didn't tell him did you?
Oopsy

Likely.

Along with not specifying which side of door openings light switches
were to be fitted:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

Do you now need a 'protected' exit on a two storey house? Thought it only
applied to 3+?

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 12:33, Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

We have several of these - 6 - with the best will in the world, I wouldnt
like to have to climb out of one. As for anyone say 5ft tall doing it,
near on impossible. In our house, there is only a 1/2 flight of stairs
(perhaps 8) to the primary exit so it isnt an issue (the house is split
level). However, Im always curious when I see reference to Velux windows
(which are great as windows) as an escape route.

There are rules for how far a MoE windows can be above the floor and how
far from the eaves. Basically they should be easy to step out of, and
close enough to the eves for someone on a ladder to be able to reach you.

In fact IIRC there is a picture of my arse existing one...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...RoofWindow.jpg

(the step down being made easier by the lack of a sloping surface at
that point)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Chris Hogg

I had forgotten this when the doors were installed and sparkie missed
the smoke alarm. All retrievable but there is a cost/convenience balance
against the Velux route.

If the sparkie "missed" it get him to sort it?

Day rates. I could do it myself.

IOW you didn't tell him did you?
Oopsy

Likely.

Along with not specifying which side of door openings light switches
were to be fitted:-(

Sounds like you need a project manager.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

One can have too much detail:-)

(the step down being made easier by the lack of a sloping surface at
that point)

Quite. Still better than no way out.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

Do you now need a 'protected' exit on a two storey house? Thought it only
applied to 3+?

I may have worded that incorrectly. All inner rooms must be provided
with an emergency egress window for use in the event of a fire. (their
words).

This included my study which is on the ground floor but accessed by a
corridor.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim
K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Chris Hogg

I had forgotten this when the doors were installed and sparkie missed
the smoke alarm. All retrievable but there is a cost/convenience
balance
against the Velux route.

If the sparkie "missed" it get him to sort it?

Day rates. I could do it myself.

IOW you didn't tell him did you?
Oopsy

Likely.

Along with not specifying which side of door openings light switches were
to be fitted:-(

sis had a high end professionally built flat with that defect

tim