DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric vehicle teardown (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/627425-electric-vehicle-teardown.html)

Andy Burns[_13_] December 19th 18 01:53 PM

Electric vehicle teardown

I know not everyone is interested in owning an EV, I'm not yet, but
interesting to look at a series of teardown videos for a Chevy Bolt EV
(aka Opal Ampera-e)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lzjfZvamYdxYo9uczD2JnTT

This car seems better equipped to cope with extremes of head and cold
than some others.

Quite interesting how modular the electronics are, I wonder if the costs
of all those chunky connectors, wiring harnesses and cooling hoses will
tempt them to combine into fewer modules as the technology stabilises?

harry December 19th 18 02:08 PM

Electric vehicle teardown

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 13:53:07 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
I know not everyone is interested in owning an EV, I'm not yet, but
interesting to look at a series of teardown videos for a Chevy Bolt EV
(aka Opal Ampera-e)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lzjfZvamYdxYo9uczD2JnTT

This car seems better equipped to cope with extremes of head and cold
than some others.

Quite interesting how modular the electronics are, I wonder if the costs
of all those chunky connectors, wiring harnesses and cooling hoses will
tempt them to combine into fewer modules as the technology stabilises?

I have had one for five years.
Recalled four times with various problems (semi-related to being an EV)
They cost an arm and a leg t fix if there's a problem in the electric side of it.

And no back street garage fixers either.

Brian Gaff December 19th 18 05:55 PM

Electric vehicle teardown

You will probably find that the connectors become a source of faults as they
age and in the end they will end up with more integration where its
practical.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Reay[_6_] December 21st 18 04:57 AM

Electric vehicle teardown

harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 13:53:07 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
I know not everyone is interested in owning an EV, I'm not yet, but
interesting to look at a series of teardown videos for a Chevy Bolt EV
(aka Opal Ampera-e)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lzjfZvamYdxYo9uczD2JnTT

This car seems better equipped to cope with extremes of head and cold
than some others.

Quite interesting how modular the electronics are, I wonder if the costs
of all those chunky connectors, wiring harnesses and cooling hoses will
tempt them to combine into fewer modules as the technology stabilises?

I have had one for five years.
Recalled four times with various problems (semi-related to being an EV)
They cost an arm and a leg t fix if there's a problem in the electric side of it.

And no back street garage fixers either.

The €˜back street fixers will come in time, as the vehicles become more
come. It is no different to the way cars changed from the days of
mechanical points etc. I uses to use a small, independent, garage for
anything I couldnt/ didnt want to do on cars (unfortunately the owner
retired). Hed a good reputation, not least because he had the kit to
diagnose modern cars and the knowledge to fix them. Im sure, but for
retirement, hed have extended his skills into EVs and hybrids.

harry December 21st 18 03:19 PM

Electric vehicle teardown

On Friday, 21 December 2018 04:57:26 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

Can't see it for a long time. Getting parts will be the big problem.
You average motor mechanic has no clue about the principals involved.