Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rag joint .....

when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

One of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_joint - a flexible joint that
used to be used between steering wheel and steering mechanism, or between
gearbox and prop shaft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY used his keyboard to write :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

One of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_joint - a flexible joint that
used to be used between steering wheel and steering mechanism, or between
gearbox and prop shaft.

I cannot recall ever having seen one on a car, though I have come
across them on old machinery. I have seen like a rubberized doughnut in
the places you describe, serving the same function. I can vaguely
remember having fitted one long ago. It came compressed, with a metal
band around it, which you cut after installing.

Why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lotus Elan on Wheeler Dealers - between rear differential and wheels. They went for CV joints as an upgrade for replacement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

NY used his keyboard to write :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

One of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_joint - a flexible joint that
used to be used between steering wheel and steering mechanism, or between
gearbox and prop shaft.

I cannot recall ever having seen one on a car, though I have come
across them on old machinery. I have seen like a rubberized doughnut in
the places you describe, serving the same function. I can vaguely
remember having fitted one long ago. It came compressed, with a metal
band around it, which you cut after installing.

Why?

ISTR them on landrovers - though whether that counts as a car or as old
machinery I'm not sure.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:34:29 -0800 (PST), Part timer
wrote:

Lotus Elan on Wheeler Dealers - between rear differential and wheels. They went for CV joints as an upgrade for replacement.

That's a rotoflex coupling (as also used on the Hillman Imp)

A rag joint uses a flat sheet of reinforced rubber and cloth and was usually
used on the likes of steering column joints to provide some small degree of
articulation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 20:02:51 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Not seen one with the interleaved rubber and fabric in use for quite a while now
I've still got a brand new one at least 25 years and maybe a decade older sat in
a factory box in the garage. Plus several knackered ones on old Triumph / Lotus
racks acquired over the years

The safer, and indeed 'failsafe' replacement is far more common on the road

https://rimmerbros.com/ItemImages/Large/FAM1718.JPG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_joint

I have seen one in a car, but so long ago
that I don't have a clue which car it was.
Likely either the 4 cylinder Fiat 500 or a
series 1 Landrover or maybe the Fiat 1100.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 20:41, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

Didn't lotus use a rubber rag joint in 70s cars?

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Part timer" wrote in message
Lotus Elan on Wheeler Dealers - between rear differential and wheels. They
went for CV joints as an upgrade for replacement.

wouldn't call a rubber doughnut like in the Hillman imp a rag joint......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

had one go big time on the steering...thought it was going to cost me a
fortune but no.... couple of quid...quite like them......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :
when is the last time anybody has seen a rag joint in a car?

Go on then, what is a rag joint?

One of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_joint - a flexible joint
that used to be used between steering wheel and steering mechanism, or
between gearbox and prop shaft.

"Rag joints" were used on some American cars into the mid-1930s.

my arse my '92 fox body mustang convertible had one on the
steering........just thought it was typical yank steering until it self
destructed.......