Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pilot light on gas boiler

A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire formulated the question :
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

Is it not lighting, or not staying in once lit?
Can it be made to light with a match? and stay lit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

My old boiler went this way and I found that a black deposit was
partially blocking the pilot jet. They are fiddly to clean and great
care is needed to make sure you dont chip the ceramic jet as it then
lets too much gas through and burns yellow and you have to buy a new jet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 17:00:14 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

If you look at the body of the gas valve, you may find an adjusting screw for the pilot light.

If the flame is too small, it blows out/doesn't heat the thermocouple adequately.

If it's too big, it burns the thermocouple out too quickly.

So, it probably needs adjusting to make it bigger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the flame is too small, it blows out/doesn't heat the thermocouple
adequately.

If it's too big, it burns the thermocouple out too quickly.

So, it probably needs adjusting to make it bigger.

He needs to be told that pressing the button is the only way to get gas to
the pilot. Has he been using matches - if so the pilot jet could have
debris in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire formulated the question :
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front
of it. Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it
is windy. He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the
pressing of the buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shield, difficult to get to
using a match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

Is it not lighting, or not staying in once lit?
Can it be made to light with a match? and stay lit?

He managed to light it yesterday, then it went out again.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shield and is very difficult to get
to. The sparker did not ignite the pilot light. He said that he could hear
the gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front
of it. Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it
is windy. He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the
pressing of the buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to
using a match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

My old boiler went this way and I found that a black deposit was
partially blocking the pilot jet. They are fiddly to clean and great
care is needed to make sure you dont chip the ceramic jet as it then
lets too much gas through and burns yellow and you have to buy a new
jet.

That sounds reasonable.
Sent on.
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
If the flame is too small, it blows out/doesn't heat the thermocouple
adequately.

If it's too big, it burns the thermocouple out too quickly.

So, it probably needs adjusting to make it bigger.

He needs to be told that pressing the button is the only way to get
gas to the pilot. Has he been using matches - if so the pilot jet
could have debris in it.

No, he has not used matches. The pilot light is behind a glass shield and is
very difficult to get to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in newsutfdk
:

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the spark gap has become large and the lead is tracking to earth.
Maybe dirt has diverted the gas from the spark area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

My old boiler went this way and I found that a black deposit was
partially blocking the pilot jet. They are fiddly to clean and great
care is needed to make sure you dont chip the ceramic jet as it then
lets too much gas through and burns yellow and you have to buy a new jet.

These open flued boilers really must be serviced annually.
They are easily capable of generating carbon monoxide back
into the house if not running properly.

Soot due to incomplete combustion drops back into the burners
(and often the pilot jet too). This leads to even less
efficient burning, more soot production, and the boiler can
quickly 'run away' with soot production, pouring out carbon
monoxide.

You certainly want a CO detector in that room, and in your
bedroom.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Its sounds like a partially blocked pilot jet - hard to light and not
quite enough flame to hold in the solenoid reliably.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire formulated the question :
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in
front of it. Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out
when it is windy. He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday,
but today the pressing of the buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I
mean. Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shield, difficult to
get to using a match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

Is it not lighting, or not staying in once lit?
Can it be made to light with a match? and stay lit?

He managed to light it yesterday, then it went out again.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shield and is very difficult
to get to. The sparker did not ignite the pilot light. He said that
he could hear the gas.

Its sounds like a partially blocked pilot jet - hard to light and not
quite enough flame to hold in the solenoid reliably.

Seems that The Man is to visit him and sort it it out.

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front of it.
Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it is windy.
He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the pressing of the
buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to using a
match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

My old boiler went this way and I found that a black deposit was
partially blocking the pilot jet. They are fiddly to clean and great
care is needed to make sure you dont chip the ceramic jet as it then
lets too much gas through and burns yellow and you have to buy a new jet.

Id check the flame sensor was clean and in the flame. One of our old
boilers was prone to this, the sensor was a brass like tube which sat in
the flame. It got soot on it and needed to be right in the flame for
optimal working.

Of course, there are other types of sensor, so this may not apply.