Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What freezer for garage

We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"RobH" wrote in message
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said it
was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years is
about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Beko still make freezers that can be used outside in an unheated
garage/shed. Many other makes require the room to be kept at about 15 deg C
minimum. It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday in winter
you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object that is designed
to keep things cold.

Fridge/freezers tend to be more fussy than dedicated fridges or dedicated
freezers. I think this is partly because they often economise by only having
one thermostat and one compressor (or at least no valves to direct
refrigerant to just the freezer or just the fridge, according to separate
thermostats) and they assume that if the temperature in the fridge is kept
constant, the temperature in the freezer will also be correct as long as the
proportion of refrigerant to each part is correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 December 2018 10:35:42 UTC, NY wrote:
"RobH" wrote in message

[...]

+1 fwiw. Most will not work in cold weather.

I think this is partly because they often economise by only having
one thermostat and one compressor (or at least no valves to direct
refrigerant to just the freezer or just the fridge, according to separate
thermostats) and they assume that if the temperature in the fridge is kept
constant, the temperature in the freezer will also be correct as long as the
proportion of refrigerant to each part is correct.

yes, so avoid freeze fridgers for garage use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we knowÂ* a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

It is at least partly true. The working fluids in a lot of modern
fridges and freezers are predicated on them being installed in a
centrally heated house. You have to chose a freezer that is designed to
operate in an ambient temperature typical of a garage in midwinter.

My brother in laws upright freezer failed spectacularly one cold winter
when the garage got down to about 2C. Cold enough to stop it working
entirely and warm enough that stuff thawed and refroze making a mess.

You need to read the rating plate carefully and know what it means since
they encode the working range in a peculiar way. I have posted before on
how to interpret the ratings plate.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
It is at least partly true. The working fluids in a lot of modern fridges
and freezers are predicated on them being installed in a centrally heated
house. You have to chose a freezer that is designed to operate in an
ambient temperature typical of a garage in midwinter.

My brother in laws upright freezer failed spectacularly one cold winter
when the garage got down to about 2C. Cold enough to stop it working
entirely and warm enough that stuff thawed and refroze making a mess.

You need to read the rating plate carefully and know what it means since
they encode the working range in a peculiar way. I have posted before on
how to interpret the ratings plate.

If it doubt, specify to the salesman that you need to use it in an unheated
garage and that it must be suitable.

Hope you manage to find what you are looking for. When we were looking to
replace a freezer that thawed in the same dramatic way as yours, the
salesman in one shop was most unhelpful and claimed that no-one makes
freezers like that any more - why would *anyone* want a freezer anywhere
else than in a nice warm kitchen?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 December 2018 11:43:35 UTC, NY wrote:
[...]

expecting a salesman to understand anything is optimistic. Sadly the national standard of retail salesmen is poor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:
"RobH" wrote in message
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers
don't do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C.
He said it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered
over or insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we knowÂ* a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Beko still make freezers that can be used outside in an unheated
garage/shed.

Yep - I've had a Beko freezer for about 10 years now, bought for putting
in the cellar (less to run there too). No problems - but not as cold as
you're expecting. Very rarely gets to freezing - mostly 5-15C.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we knowÂ* a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

I have two Beko upright freezers in a shed. They have been OK even when
it was -9C outside. They are intended for low ambient temps; down to -15C.

https://www.beko.co.uk/appliances/re...ators/freezers

If you really thought there might be a problem why not add a froststat
and a 100W greenhouse heater? Stand the heater behind the freezer.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 15:34, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

Wot Bill sez.

My sister had an ordinary domestic freezer in the garage which stopped
working when the first winter came along. No damage done: it just used
ambient room temperature as a reference point for its freezing operation
and couldn't make sense of its surroundings. A localised, low power
heater solved her problem.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:34:52 +0000, NY wrote:

Many other makes require the room to be kept at about 15 deg C

Or at least 10oC. We put an additional fridge in the garage for when lots
of
visitors. but the damned thing stops working during the winter months,
because of ignorance at the time of the new 'green' coolant that requires
warmer room to work...

--
/\/\aurice (Retired in E.Hants)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

I saw that beko upright freezers were the only ones suitable for a garage.
I did a bit of googling as well and it confirms what other people have
said on this thread.
Now I am not concerned about the temp getting down to -9C with a Beko
freezer in the garage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:39:17 +0000, I wrote:

fridge

Should say "fridge/freezer"
--
/\/\aurice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

But it makes a lot more sense to get a Beko which doesnt need that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a heat pump and there needs to be temperature difference, however one of
the big problems is that domestic mechanical devices are not tested to cope
with large swings in temperature, the high heat of summer and the intense
cold of winter and all the implications of condensation etc. I do not really
see the difference in form factored, its probably got more to do with the
design specs.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RobH" wrote in message
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said it
was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years is
about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday
in winter you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object
that is designed to keep things cold.

I have lived in happy ignorance of this problem. If the temperature
falls to low for my fridge/freezer to work would it use corresponding
less electricity?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday
in winter you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object
that is designed to keep things cold.

I have lived in happy ignorance of this problem. If the temperature
falls to low for my fridge/freezer to work would it use corresponding
less electricity?

yes, but not enough to stop the contents of the freezer starting tothaw.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 12:20:49 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday
in winter you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object
that is designed to keep things cold.

I have lived in happy ignorance of this problem. If the temperature
falls to low for my fridge/freezer to work would it use corresponding
less electricity?

When the compressor runs it doesn't cool, so the thermostat keeps asking for more compressor running. Maybe someone else will explain what the refrigerant does and how it affects the compressor.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:15:58 +0000, RobH wrote:

We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

Another vote for Beko - we now have two under cover outside.
Bought one, won the other on Freegle.

If you want a fridge/freezer make sure that it has two independent
compressors - one for the fridge and the other for the freezer. A single
shared compressor leads to the freezer defrosting below (IIRC) 4C.
BTDTBTTS.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 11:43, NY wrote:
[...]

I recall once asking a salesman in an electric goods shop the difference
in functionality between two models which looked to me superficially the
same but for radically different prices. His answer "the model number".

Thank heavens for the internet where you can do your own research.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 15:24, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/12/2018 11:43, NY wrote:
[...]

Overheard a shopper ask the Tesco fishmonger (well, dressed as one)
'What's the best way to cook this'. Reply: 'However you like'.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 16:11, RJH wrote:
On 11/12/2018 15:24, Martin Brown wrote:

I recall once asking a salesman in an electric goods shop the
difference in functionality between two models which looked to me
superficially the same but for radically different prices. His answer
"the model number".

Overheard a shopper ask the Tesco fishmonger (well, dressed as one)
'What's the best way to cook this'. Reply: 'However you like'.

That's all right if the shopper wants to know whether to fry, bake,
steam, grill, poach &c.

I think s/he meant to ask, "*How* should I cook this fish?"

You've got to ask the right question.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

On 11/12/2018 16:11, RJH wrote:
On 11/12/2018 15:24, Martin Brown wrote:

I recall once asking a salesman in an electric goods shop the
difference in functionality between two models which looked to me
superficially the same but for radically different prices. His answer
"the model number".

Overheard a shopper ask the Tesco fishmonger (well, dressed as one)
'What's the best way to cook this'. Reply: 'However you like'.

That's all right if the shopper wants to know whether to fry, bake,
steam, grill, poach &c.

I think s/he meant to ask, "*How* should I cook this fish?"

You've got to ask the right question.

It's rather like the people who, invited to answer a technical question
about an item on Amazon, reply along the lines of "I haven't the
slightest Ides" or "I don't know because mine was broken and I sent it
back" not realising the answers are only wanted from people who at least
believe that they know. Clearly the shop assistant should have
answered that he or she didn't normally work there and unfortunately
didn't have a recommendation.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 13:46, David wrote:
[...]

That does depend upon the design. Our fridge-freezer some years ago had
only a single compressor. It used the entirely logical idea of only
cooling the freezer section. The fridge was cooled with a fan and a
motorised flap circulating air from the fridge, through the freezer and
back into the fridge. Obviously if the ambient temperature fell too low,
the fridge would need no cooling, so the flap would remain closed and
the fan off, but the compressor would still cool the freezer as normal.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 17:47, Max Demian wrote:
On 11/12/2018 16:11, RJH wrote:
On 11/12/2018 15:24, Martin Brown wrote:

I recall once asking a salesman in an electric goods shop the
difference in functionality between two models which looked to me
superficially the same but for radically different prices. His answer
"the model number".

Overheard a shopper ask the Tesco fishmonger (well, dressed as one)
'What's the best way to cook this'. Reply: 'However you like'.

That's all right if the shopper wants to know whether to fry, bake,
steam, grill, poach &c.

I think s/he meant to ask, "*How* should I cook this fish?"

You've got to ask the right question.

If she bought it in Sainsburys it would be supplied in a special
package that can just be popped in a microwave. Printed on the
back are the cooking times needed for various species of fish,
plus conventional cooking times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
[...]

My Liebherr fridge freezer has a low temp button next to the
internal light, which it keeps on at half power sufficiently to
make the thermostat think it is getting too warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2018 13:12, charles wrote:
In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:34, NY wrote:

It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday
in winter you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object
that is designed to keep things cold.

I have lived in happy ignorance of this problem. If the temperature
falls to low for my fridge/freezer to work would it use corresponding
less electricity?

yes, but not enough to stop the contents of the freezer starting tothaw.

It does appear to be more of a problem for appliance with only one
thermostat. I will find out next week, I will be away from home but I
will know the temperature and the house power consumption.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David writes:
[...]

I didn't think anyone had made those for decades.
It used to be a speciality of Hotpoint, back when
Hotpoint was part of GEC and was a real manuafacturer
in the UK. They had a range for use in unheated
homes/rooms with separate compressors, which were
slightly more expensive than their standard models.
(I bought one, as it predated me installing central
heating.)

shared compressor leads to the freezer defrosting below (IIRC) 4C.

It goes wrong well above 4C. I've tried a few and
freezer temperature is not maintained correctly at 12C.

This should not be an issue for a freezer only, but
there are other problems with running freezers outside
the specified temperature range.

BTDTBTTS.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobH wrote:
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

We needed one for our garage. As you probably know, normal domestic ones
arent suitable for ambient temp found in garages etc. However, we found a
John Lewis Chest freezer which was specified for outbuilding use. When
middle daughter wanted an upright freezer for her garage, John Lewis came
up trumps again. Both own brand, good warranty, delivery, price etc.

We had an old one which lasted years first in a shed in our previous house
then in the garage in current house. We bought it in about 1990. We
replaced it with the JL one last year or so. While it still worked, the
seal had failed. As I recall, it cost about £90 in 1990. I cant recall the
brand, I suspect Tricity.