Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How many cubic metres of concrete?

We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts
at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix
should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to
site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts
at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix
should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to
site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

LOL!

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts
at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix
should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to
site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

I made it about 15% too much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

no, there were in fact four holes.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

6 bags ballast 1 bag cement.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/12/2018 11:48, Fredxx wrote:
On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging
posts at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1
mix should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered
to site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

What's wrong with a cement mixer and a hose pipe?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/12/2018 12:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

I made it about 15% too much

1m^3 would have been OK.

A bit of excess to take away and job done.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

no, there were in fact four holes.

A 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m gives a volume of 0.216m^3

4 holes = 0.86m^3

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging
posts at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1
mix should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered
to site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer
to fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

What's wrong with a cement mixer and a hose pipe?

I have to admit the extra effort and time of mixing would be small in
comparison to the hole digging. Plus only the amount needed used and the
unused bags could be returned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

no, there were in fact four holes.

A 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m gives a volume of 0.216m^3

4 holes = 0.86m^3

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

6 bags ballast 1 bag cement.

Ok, I guess the 3m^3 concrete consisted of both ballast and cement.

I wasn't sure if the office boy had ordered 3m^3 of just cement.

I probably wouldn't make a good office boy either. ;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

0.06m doesn't sound much good for sticking posts in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 15:01, Paul Welsh wrote:

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

0.06m doesn't sound much good for sticking posts in.

Well thats what the OP said. Who am I to argue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you know that apparently concrete is very expensive in carbon footprint
terms? No idea why but it popped up on a science program the other day.

It's the manufacture of the cement that is the problem because of the heat used.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

no, there were in fact four holes.

A 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m gives a volume of 0.216m^3

4 holes = 0.86m^3

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

And I don't think you can get readymix in that small amount.
You'd need to use the people who mix on site, but that costs
more than readymix.

I'd have used many bags of postcrete for the bulk fill and just
have a thin cap of proper concrete on top - handmixed, the
Russian can cope with that. Just give him some home-brew vodka.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts
at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix
should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to
site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Office boy has never heard of MixaMate?

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 December 2018 16:37:29 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Office boy has never heard of MixaMate?

Is that like Grinder but for gang-bangs?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

I made it about 15% too much

1m^3 would have been OK.

A bit of excess to take away and job done.

Lets be generous... maybe that was a minimum delivered load.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

[...]

It it were really 60mm wide (or deep!) then standard concrete ballast
would be too coarse. You would need specially graded small aggregate
and probably reinforcement.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill

You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts
at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1 mix
should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered to
site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

What's wrong with a cement mixer and a hose pipe?

More work than a mini mixer truck delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Did you know that apparently concrete is very expensive in carbon
footprint terms? No idea why

Because the manufacture of cement is bad carbon footprint wise.

but it popped up on a science program the other day.

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 08/12/2018 11:11, ARW wrote:
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging
posts at a HART ambulance station.

Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to
call in at Jewsons get the bits I needed to fill the holes. A 6 to 1
mix should do it.

Instead office boy orders 3 cubic meters of concrete to be delivered
to site.

I call at Jewsons and get 200 rubble sacks for the Russian labourer to
fill with unused concrete that was dumped in the car park.

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

What was wrong with a dry mix?

What's wrong with a cement mixer and a hose pipe?

I have to admit the extra effort and time of mixing would be small in
comparison to the hole digging. Plus only the amount needed used and the
unused bags could be returned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 06:18:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope

Did you climax now, senile auto-contradictor? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2018 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:

news

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 08/12/2018 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:

news

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/12/2018 15:01, Paul Welsh wrote:

A 1m^3 load would be more than sufficient.

Except it is 0.6m x 0.6m x 0.06m...

0.06m doesn't sound much good for sticking posts in.

well you knew what I meant:-).

It was just a bit odd that I was not asked to do the job or at least
organise it. I usually get the jobs that are not 100% electrical because
I have the tools and experience to do a lot of them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm
deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would
have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Gravel isn't ballast, but it's ballast that's used: a mixture of sand
and gravel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 11:33:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Six parts ballast to one part cement.

It isnt ballast.

Of course it is, you auto-contradicting senile idiot! tsk

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Perhaps the office boy was questioning your hole being only 6cm deep?

Even if he thought it was four holes @ 60x60x60cm then 1m^3 would have
been overkill ...

A five-fold overkill.

Bill
You forgot there were 3 holes?

Doesn't 6 to 1 mix mean 6 parts sand to 1 part concrete.

Nope 6 parts gravel, 1 part cement.

Er no...
How much of that mix is holding up the tin shack? :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Based on the standard mix of 3-2-1, gravel, sharp sand & cement, using ballast I tend to use a 5 to 1 mix. I find other mixes to weak and I would only use ballast mixed concrete in non-critical situations owing to the disparity in quality of the constituents, as the Paving Expert says it could anything from the sweepings off the yard floor.

Richard