Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:29:08 -0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Umm.. Cement bonded asbestos roofing *explodes* when heated. My
assumption is that this is due to steam from trapped water.

I don't know why it explodes but as kids we would seek out the dimpled
bits of cement bonded asbestos panels to chuck on the bonfire.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2018 11:42, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:25, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message

ISTR asbestos cement explodes in a fire.

No it does not.

Yes it does.

My experience is that back in the 1970s a school lab asbestos mat for
Bunsens makes quite a satisfactory bang if placed _above_ the burner.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

ISTR asbestos cement explodes in a fire.

No it does not.

Yes it does.

My experience is that back in the 1970s a school lab asbestos mat for
Bunsens makes quite a satisfactory bang if placed _above_ the burner.

Andy

I've never known asbestos mats to be bothered by direct torch flame. Unlike asbestos cement.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message

ISTR asbestos cement explodes in a fire.

No it does not.

Yes it does.

My experience is that back in the 1970s a school lab asbestos mat for
Bunsens makes quite a satisfactory bang if placed _above_ the burner.

Andy

I've never known asbestos mats to be bothered by direct torch flame. Unlike asbestos cement.

I've seen shrapnel expelled from a asbestos mat with a thickness around
5mm. The simplest explanation is absorbed water expanding into steam.

Surely you mean asbestos cement there. I don't see how that's possible with a floppy mat.

The asbestos 'gauze mats' are much thinner, reinforced with steel and
don't seem to exhibit any such issues.

NT