Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cord for reading glasses

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Many RL opticians sell them. The ones with a loop at the end going
through a little plastic toggle seem to last a few years, even if one is
always catching them on things.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

DIY something.

Bill

That's a thought.
I do have some old shoe laces somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 13:09:39 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

You could try stealing someones security card that's on a lanyard and use that they are pretty strong and some are made of beads :-)
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 1:09:39 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Even though I too am starting to get on in years, I am super-sporty and
healthy ;-). I use similar 'elasticated sports straps' to keep my glasses staying on, loosely, when I am playing squash racquets.

I agree that most of the ones you can buy are poor. Also, they tend to be
adjustable, whereas I know exactly the size I want. Given the sweaty
environment they are used in, they rust and go to pieces quite often. Even
when buying multiples of the best I can find on eBay, I go through them at a
rate of knots. So I have a d-i-y plan.

This involves (a) buying 8mm black elastic webbing, (b) getting o-rings of
a suitable diameter (15--20mm), and (c) using some thin brass wire, a bit like
the individual strands of picture hanging wire.

I will then:
- cut the webbing into lengths previously decided upon
- sew a small loop into each end, with one o-ring held within each end
- squeeze the o-ring 'flat' and wrap some of the brass wire around it,
like a spring almost, so that a small loop of the o-ring pokes out at
the 'far' end. This is where you would put the arm of your glasses
- put a tiny dab of solder, or maybe epoxy, on the brass wire to
hold it together.

I've had this plan for a while - I clearly must have a lot of time on
my hands (not)...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

Many RL opticians sell them. The ones with a loop at the end going
through a little plastic toggle seem to last a few years, even if one
is always catching them on things.

The cords from Specsavers and Asda did not last for very long.
I need industrial cords, but can't find any.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your time and effort.
All I need is something that will not break and will hold my glasses, not
how to diy a Starship :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Very small fishing line snaps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals and you will not have to keep taking them off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals
and you will not have to keep taking them off.

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them, but I
could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from left to
right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from several
degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several degrees
right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision
| in centre of vision
/ on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil position
and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as bad,
so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as far as
I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see road and
dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my
head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me
dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision pairs of
glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I
described because they'd never had anyone report it before with varifocals.

I've not tried bifocals. It would be interesting to see what they were like,
if it wasn't necessary to commit to having them specially made up and then
finding that I couldn't get used to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

don't rush into getting varifocals.

I've gone back to a single vision lenses for distance (and these days an
intermediate pair, notionally for computer use).

The intermediates are "good enough" for most things around the house
except watching TV, the problem is they're good enough to get out to the
car before I realise I haven't swapped glasses as soon as I look beyond
the bonnet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

don't rush into getting varifocals.

I've gone back to a single vision lenses for distance (and these days an
intermediate pair, notionally for computer use).

The intermediates are "good enough" for most things around the house
except watching TV, the problem is they're good enough to get out to the
car before I realise I haven't swapped glasses as soon as I look beyond
the bonnet.

When I first got reading glasses, I only needed them for reading a book. I
didn't need them (and they made things more blurred) for using a computer at
a slightly greater distance. My distance vision is almost OK, but I need
very weak lenses to make things just slightly sharper.

As my accommodation has got worse over the last year, and my close sight has
gradually got worse, I've got into the habit of wearing my reading glasses
around the house to save me having to keep getting my reading glasses when I
need to read cooking instructions, names on incoming letters etc.

And it's got to such a habit that I too have gone out to my car several
times, still wearing my reading glasses, and only realised as I've started
to reverse that things aren't as sharp as they should be. Get out of car,
lock it, unlock house, find glasses, lock house, unlock car - it all takes
time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 14:00, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

DIY something.

Bill

That's a thought.
I do have some old shoe laces somewhere.

What about the 'strings' used to lift/lower venetion blinds ?.

This can be bought in a variety of thicknesses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 14:03, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 13:09:39 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

You could try stealing someones security card that's on a lanyard and use that they are pretty strong and some are made of beads :-)
.

Or some fine-stranded electronic hookup cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

don't rush into getting varifocals.

I've gone back to a single vision lenses for distance (and these days an
intermediate pair, notionally for computer use).

The intermediates are "good enough" for most things around the house
except watching TV, the problem is they're good enough to get out to the
car before I realise I haven't swapped glasses as soon as I look beyond
the bonnet.

Mine arent that bad, just not good enough for house numbers and
I keep the distance pair in the car so easy to change when I need that.

The problem is with shelf labels in supermarkets. They are further
away than the computer screen and I hardly ever remember to put
on the correct single vision glasses before getting out of the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

[...]

The obvious fix is another cheap clone of the distance glasses from
china now that you have the prescription and keep them in the car.
https://www.zennioptical.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 14:00:55 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

DIY something.

Bill

That's a thought.
I do have some old shoe laces somewhere.

I've just been oiling my bathroom light switch. The pull-cord is a
woven outer with straight glass-fibre core, so doesn't stretch. How
about using such cord, simply knotted to the glasses? Or curtain cord.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or bi-focals
and you will not have to keep taking them off.

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them, but I
could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from left to
right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from several
degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several degrees
right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision
| in centre of vision
/ on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil position
and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as bad,
so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as far as
I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see road and
dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my
head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me
dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision pairs of
glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I
described because they'd never had anyone report it before with varifocals.

snip

I honestly think they were being economical with the truth there, many
people have similar problems - I certainly did! Walking gave me vertigo
and nausea.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
NY wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
Next time you change your glasses prescription get varifocals or
bi-focals
and you will not have to keep taking them off.

I suggest you don't rush into getting varifocals. I was offered them, but
could not get used to them: I found that as I turned my head from left to
right, vertical objects swayed from side to side (eg they went from
several
degrees left of vertical on one side of my field of view, to several
degrees
right of vertical on the other side):

\ on one side of field of vision
| in centre of vision
/ on other side of vision

The optician checked her sight test and measurements of my pupil position
and eye spacing and gave me another set of glasses which were just as
bad,
so it wasn't just due to duff measurements.

That was for a fairly mild distance and reading glasses, without (as far
as
I know) any complications like astigmatism.

I couldn't have driven in them, even though they allowed me to see road
and
dashboard in sharp focus at the same time, because as soon as I moved my
head or a car went past, the geometric distortion of everything made me
dizzy.

After the second pair, Specsavers offered me separate single-vision pairs
of
glasses at no extra cost. They were most intrigued by the symptom that I
described because they'd never had anyone report it before with
varifocals.

I honestly think they were being economical with the truth there, many
people have similar problems - I certainly did! Walking gave me vertigo
and nausea.

Interesting. Just on the verge of considering them myself. Up
till now I have used single focus exclusively, but particularly
when out shopping, and to a lesser extent when driving,
I really do need some form of bifocal or varifocal particularly
where its not convenient to swap single focals.

What did you end up doing instead, multiple single focals
or bifocals. Big advantage of single focals is that they are
very cheap from china. And both varifocals and bifocals
arent that easy to do by mail order because its not trivial
to work out where you want the change vertically and not
cheap even from china to just try some alternatives and
use the ones that work best.

Tho I spose now that its become clear that I will never
spend my vast accumulated wealth now before I cark
it that I really should just pay the local bricks and mortar
place to get it right eventually by trial and error at their
cost with the trials and just pay their stupid price for
the one that works best.

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn’t
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that’s been going
on for decades now and that’s the reason I don’t
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses
slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay sellers, all crap.
Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty cords? One that will post them
to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

I just have the cord held in place by a bit of PVC electrical insulation
tape on my workshop reading glasses.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

> [...]

Tho I spose now that its become clear that I will never
spend my vast accumulated wealth now before I cark
it that I really should just pay the local bricks and mortar
place to get it right eventually by trial and error at their
cost with the trials and just pay their stupid price for
the one that works best.

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn’t
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that’s been going
on for decades now and that’s the reason I don’t
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

If you want to experiment, go ahead but I went cross eyed trying to use
varifocals ( may be they boo booed) but in the end they made me bifocals
(Mail order) I just had cataract surgery on medicare (was needed) and
went with bifocals again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
news

NY wrote:

> [...]

spend my vast accumulated wealth now before I cark
it that I really should just pay the local bricks and mortar
place to get it right eventually by trial and error at their
cost with the trials and just pay their stupid price for
the one that works best.

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn’t
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that’s been going
on for decades now and that’s the reason I don’t
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

If you want to experiment, go ahead but I went cross eyed trying to use

Yeah, not cheap to try even with the chinese, but then again,
I'm never gunna spend all I have so that’s a bit academic.

but in the end they made me bifocals (Mail order)

I just had cataract surgery on medicare (was needed)

Did they do them one at a time and how long between when
you got in the queue and when they both were done ?

Again, no big deal to pay for them myself.

and went with bifocals again

Interesting. Some others I know don’t need bifocals after the surgery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

I just have the cord held in place by a bit of PVC electrical
insulation tape on my workshop reading glasses.

Mike

Yes.
I have thought of that and have just brought my Pound Shop pack of
insulation tape into the house from the garage.
It has only been in there for the past four years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn't
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that's been going
on for decades now and that's the reason I don't
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

One of the first symptoms of cataract is trouble with night vision, have
you checked whether you get trouble with that, blurring, lights
affecting the rest of the visual field etc?

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
Muddymike wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

I just have the cord held in place by a bit of PVC electrical
insulation tape on my workshop reading glasses.

Mike

Yes.
I have thought of that and have just brought my Pound Shop pack of
insulation tape into the house from the garage.
It has only been in there for the past four years.

My *reading* glasses hang round my neck on the cord supplied by
Specsavers. The cord itself is fine but the plastic loop fitted over the
frames stretches.
The first move is to shorten the loop by doubling. This normally
outlasts the prescription but can be reinforced by a few turns of
fusewi-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Interesting. Some others I know don’t need bifocals after the surgery.

I've never understood how some people can manage without bifocals. As I
understand it, the replacement lens is fixed focus, so you're going to need
glasses either for distance or for reading. Unless when they do both eyes,
they set one for reading and the other for distance, but that would take a
lot of brain-training for the brain to learn to disregard the image from
whichever eye was out of focus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 19:15, Rod Speed wrote:

snip

The obvious fix is another cheap clone of the distance glasses from
china now that you have the prescription and keep them in the car.
https://www.zennioptical.com

I've used www.directsight.co.uk and they often have glasses for £10 (£15
including delivery) if you go for cheapest frames and don't have lens
coatings. They're perfectly fine, I wear them all the time at work,
usually use contact lenses when I'm out.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 11:41, NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Interesting. Some others I know dont need bifocals after the surgery.

I've never understood how some people can manage without bifocals.

well different glasses for different jobs or varifocals.

As I
understand it, the replacement lens is fixed focus, so you're going to
need glasses either for distance or for reading. Unless when they do
both eyes, they set one for reading and the other for distance, but that
would take a lot of brain-training for the brain to learn to disregard
the image from whichever eye was out of focus.

My frind who had replacement lenses opted for "looking at computer: No
glasses!" since most of his waking life is that...

He then has driving glasses.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Can't see how I can shorten the loop by doubling it.
Fuse wire could be a good idea as could the insulation tape.
It really should not be this difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

er.. Two turns of loop round the frames.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

er .. I may just try this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn't
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that's been going
on for decades now and that's the reason I don't
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

One of the first symptoms of cataract is trouble with night
vision, have you checked whether you get trouble with that,
blurring, lights affecting the rest of the visual field etc?

Don’t have any problem in that area and I do mostly
do the long distance trips at night for various reasons.

The only effect I do get is with the large signs that
have some waffle on them like report all traffic
incidents to a phone number on the sign, at night
come into focus for a much shorter time than they
do in the day time. I assume that’s just because
the iris is a lot more dilated at night due to the light
level and so the focus depth is much less at night.

I have noticed another odd effect where I find
it feels better with the sun visor down even when
facing away from the sun in the car. Not clear if
that’s a recent thing or I have only noticed it recently.
But its not a pronounced enough effect that I always
drive everywhere with the sun visor down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Interesting. Some others I know don’t need bifocals after the [cataract]
surgery.

I've never understood how some people can manage without bifocals.

Cant see why it should be a problem.

As I understand it, the replacement lens is fixed focus,

Yes.

so you're going to need glasses either for distance or for reading.

Yes. So the obvious thing to do is have the fixed focus what
is needed for distance and use single focals for reading.

Unless when they do both eyes, they set one for reading and the other for
distance, but that would take a lot of brain-training for the brain to
learn to disregard the image from whichever eye was out of focus.

Sure.