Old December 6th 18, 05:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cord for reading glasses

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
Muddymike wrote:
On 05/12/2018 13:09, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read.
I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style.
I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my
glasses slipping off or snapping. I've bought loads from ebay
sellers, all crap. Can anybody recommend a site for heavy duty
cords? One that will post them to me.
Screwfix are asking for over 6 quid delivered! This is a bit much.

I just have the cord held in place by a bit of PVC electrical
insulation tape on my workshop reading glasses.

Mike

Yes.
I have thought of that and have just brought my Pound Shop pack of
insulation tape into the house from the garage.
It has only been in there for the past four years.

My *reading* glasses hang round my neck on the cord supplied by
Specsavers. The cord itself is fine but the plastic loop fitted over
the frames stretches.
The first move is to shorten the loop by doubling. This normally
outlasts the prescription but can be reinforced by a few turns of
fusewi-)

Can't see how I can shorten the loop by doubling it.
Fuse wire could be a good idea as could the insulation tape.
It really should not be this difficult.

er.. Two turns of loop round the frames.

--
Tim Lamb

Old December 6th 18, 05:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

er .. I may just try this.

Old December 6th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The other complication in my case is that the last time
I got an eye check done, they announced that I would
need cataract surgery soon in one eye and it doesn't
make a lot of sense to spend a lot for a short time of
use. They were very keen to monster me into paying
for surgery now even tho I have no symptoms, likely
they do get a commission on that here. The GP is
convinced that its all a giant scam that's been going
on for decades now and that's the reason I don't
plan to do it until I have some visible downsides.

One of the first symptoms of cataract is trouble with night
vision, have you checked whether you get trouble with that,
blurring, lights affecting the rest of the visual field etc?

Donít have any problem in that area and I do mostly
do the long distance trips at night for various reasons.

The only effect I do get is with the large signs that
have some waffle on them like report all traffic
incidents to a phone number on the sign, at night
come into focus for a much shorter time than they
do in the day time. I assume thatís just because
the iris is a lot more dilated at night due to the light
level and so the focus depth is much less at night.

I have noticed another odd effect where I find
it feels better with the sun visor down even when
facing away from the sun in the car. Not clear if
thatís a recent thing or I have only noticed it recently.
But its not a pronounced enough effect that I always
drive everywhere with the sun visor down.

Old December 6th 18, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Interesting. Some others I know donít need bifocals after the [cataract]
surgery.

I've never understood how some people can manage without bifocals.

Cant see why it should be a problem.

As I understand it, the replacement lens is fixed focus,

Yes.

so you're going to need glasses either for distance or for reading.

Yes. So the obvious thing to do is have the fixed focus what
is needed for distance and use single focals for reading.

Unless when they do both eyes, they set one for reading and the other for
distance, but that would take a lot of brain-training for the brain to
learn to disregard the image from whichever eye was out of focus.

Sure.