Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default For those who 'get' the internet/networking

I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

Can you get any stats out of the router? It could be it's running out of
memory doing routing, and then dropping stuff because it's under too much
load. ISP routers tend to have pathetic CPUs that can't cope up with lots
of packets flying around.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ur-own-router/

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

What could cause a network to clag up?

Poor software in the router, it could have memory leaks, or build up a
stale cache of DNS results, NAT pairings etc

Before the router I use now (which is somewhat an enthusiasts choice) I
had a Billion and it was good, maybe this newer model would suit?

https://amazon.co.uk/Billion-AC1600/dp/B07483S6BS

The 8800NLR2 on that page is cheaper, but lacks dual band wifi.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote

I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the point
of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's my
gear?

Has to be your gear given that a router reboot fixes it.

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router

Dont see that here with the Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP

with a couple of PCs plugged in and a downwind switch with a PC and a
printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

Gotta be the router.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

almost certainly.

I'd have a stab at a memory leak in the NAT software

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

crap router software.

try a different router or upgrade its firmware

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 16:32, Andy Burns wrote:
R D S wrote:

What could cause a network to clag up?

Poor software in the router, it could have memory leaks, or build up a
stale cache of DNS results, NAT pairings etc

Before the router I use now (which is somewhat an enthusiasts choice) I
had a Billion and it was good, maybe this newer model would suit?

https://amazon.co.uk/Billion-AC1600/dp/B07483S6BS

The 8800NLR2 on that page is cheaper, but lacks dual band wifi.

Billion work but the UI is for geeks on acid.

Draytek are pretty decent and so to my mind are D-link

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

As others have suggested, the router running out of resources could be a
problem.

Another possibility is that as the router re-trains on the line, its
over optimising a little, and syncing very slightly faster than it
should. This makes the error rate rise, and lowers the effective data
rate.. Restarting forces it to reconnect at the VDSL level and
re-negotiate. If this were the case you could test it by waiting until
its running slow, then pulling the phone wire out for a few secs and
then putting it back. That will force an DSL resynch.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
[...]

Cant be that, he said fiber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 18:58:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Draytek are pretty decent and so to my mind are D-link

I have a Draytek 2860. When I got it, it seemed to be riddled with bigs
(the firewall blocked TCP on port 53 (DNS) even when the firewall was
turned off). To their credit, they fixed that (and later, another major
bug) fairly fast. I'm still using it, and it just works.

I wouldn't touch D-Link with a barge pole after their stupid NTP blunder,
mainly because they wouldn't admit to it:

https://tinyurl.com/og7gmfy

OK, it was a while ago, but companies rarely seem to improve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

Not sure of your problem, but I think the Technicolor is fairly basic so
may be something to do with it. I've had a Fritz!box 3390 on fibre for
the last four years and it hasn't missed a beat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 23:52:11 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

snip

I've had a Fritz!box 3390 on fibre for
the last four years and it hasn't missed a beat.

+1 for the Frtizbox!

I have a 'FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7140' and after having it a fair while I
turned the email logging on and that was in June 2007 (and I currently
have 4099 daily emails from the FritzBox). ;-)

Two VOIP sockets with all sorts of functionality (I have two localised
Sipgate numbers on two std DECT phones) and it does just seem to work.

The only thing I have to do sometimes is to release some of the IP
addresses as it seems to hang onto them, but that's about it.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 22:01, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 18:58:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Draytek are pretty decent and so to my mind are D-link

I have a Draytek 2860. When I got it, it seemed to be riddled with bigs
(the firewall blocked TCP on port 53 (DNS) even when the firewall was
turned off). To their credit, they fixed that (and later, another major
bug) fairly fast. I'm still using it, and it just works.

Ive just bought a Draytekl 2762 VAC. And its been a struggle.

NFS didnt work throiugh it to my viurtualprivate servers. It remapped
teh source ports to 'insecure' ranges and I had to reconfifuger te servers.

SNMP montoriong was only partiua;l, and so I had to use telnet as well
to gather stats

The VOIP phone could dial out on any prt that was connected to a line,
but only ring on the right port specified...

But it os stable and connects well and it was easy to set up my printer
for remote access ONLY from my private servers..

I still miss my Billion, (lightning got it) except te user interface
which is probably the worst ever designed.

I wouldn't touch D-Link with a barge pole after their stupid NTP blunder,
mainly because they wouldn't admit to it:

https://tinyurl.com/og7gmfy

OK, it was a while ago, but companies rarely seem to improve.

MMm.
My exoeriuence is sketchy but..

D-link. A lot better than I thought. Decent SNMP really.
Billion. Very good, let down by user interface.
TP-Link. Simply didn't do what it claimed it would. Never got the
firewall to work the way I wanted it
Cisco (linksys rebadged) pretty damned good, but ran hotter tha a Morris
1000 on a motorway.
Netgear, all right but not for the whole weekned. Used to die like flies
every thunderstorm,

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 December 2018 15:47:10 UTC, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

Crap cables can cause problems, I've seen it before and slightly broken or intermitant will cause errors and the error checking increases bandwidth as it resends the data.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 3 December 2018 15:47:10 UTC, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

Crap cables can cause problems, I've seen it before and
slightly broken or intermitant will cause errors and the
error checking increases bandwidth as it resends the data.

Doesnt explain why it works fine after a router reboot
and only sags days later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 17:46:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

It did when a friend of mine had a similar problem.

https://itstillworks.com/signs-ether...ght-33404.html

He scrapped the cable and it solved the problem.

and nowwhere did the OP say "and only sags days later" where did you get that from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 03/12/2018, The Natural Philosopher supposed :
crap router software.

try a different router or upgrade its firmware

I use a BT Home Hub 5 Fibre with LEDE OpenWRT installed, as my main
router connected to the line. That has been absolutely stable since my
move to fibre in August. I have though had a constant issue with its
802.11bgn Wifi seeming to disconnect irregularly and almost daily, from
my webcam and needing to be restarted. I just haven't been able to get
to the bottom of this, the 802.11nac port is completely reliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 09:52:29 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Another possibility is a network loop where broadcast packets can
circulate many times round the network before they expire. It sometimes
takes a while before the bad effects build up to a disruptive level.
Such loops are not always obvious. One common cause in an office is
for both ethernet ports of a VoIP phone which contains an internal
switch for daisy-chaining a phone and PC onto one network socket to
be connected to the network.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

I have seen several routers where wireless lan usage causes the
behaviour you describe. I guess this is caused by a resource leak. These
lost/leaked resources are restored when the router is rebooted.

Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem it might be that as
long as you reboot once a day the problem never occurs. So rather than
wait for a slowdown reboot the router each night and see if the problem
remains.

If this does solve the problem you will be reasonably confident it is a
problem with your router and can either buy a new one or just continue
rebooting it once a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
R D S wrote

[...]

Dont believe he had the same symptoms, works fine at full
speed after a router reboot but slows down over days after that.

and nowwhere did the OP say "and only sags
days later" where did you get that from.

Its what the first two paras say, ****wit,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem it might be that as
long as you reboot once a day the problem never occurs. So rather than
wait for a slowdown reboot the router each night and see if the problem
remains.

If this does solve the problem you will be reasonably confident it is a
problem with your router and can either buy a new one or just continue
rebooting it once a day.

Some of them allow you to schedule regular reboots. I think an old Netgear router that I had allowed this. I had some issues (can remember what) so I scheduled a weekly reboot.

The Draytek 2862 that I am using seems solid, although I dont use wireless through it, thats handled by a separate BT mesh system.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

Can you get any diagnostics out of the thing?

almost certainly.

I'd have a stab at a memory leak in the NAT software

+1

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs
plugged in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into
that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

crap router software.

try a different router or upgrade its firmware

Or failing that force it to reboot at midnight - cheap timers are an
easy fix for a dodgy routers that have memory leaks (and some do).

I hate the ones that hide all the useful information (if they provide it
at all) behind some dreadful web interface that cannot easily be probed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 08:46:12 -0800, AlanC wrote:

Regardless of what exactly is causing the problem it might be that as
long as you reboot once a day the problem never occurs. So rather than
wait for a slowdown reboot the router each night and see if the problem
remains.

If this does solve the problem you will be reasonably confident it is a
problem with your router and can either buy a new one or just continue
rebooting it once a day.

Some of them allow you to schedule regular reboots. I think an old
Netgear router that I had allowed this. I had some issues (can remember
what) so I scheduled a weekly reboot.

The Draytek 2862 that I am using seems solid, although I dont use
wireless through it, thats handled by a separate BT mesh system.

I have a 2860 (non wireless; the wireless APs are inside the firewall).

Until recently, it hadn't been rebooted in months! Then we had a 3 hour
power cut and everything went down (gracefully) after about 45 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
What could cause a network to clag up?

Thanks for all the responses, I can't log into the router, none of the
possible default passwords i've Googled work, and i'm beyond certain I
haven't changed it. And for some reason it won't factory reset.

I remember we had bother with another router some years back, it was
getting so hot it was going brown.

I'll bin it and get something better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 19:07:37 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have to say that is the motrs utter ******** I have read today.
Broadcast packets curculkate around thje network?
Crap.
What ARE you talking about?

OK. I'll spell it out. A lot of VoIP phones have two ethernet ports
so that one port can be connected to the network socket on the wall
or in the floor and the other can have a PC plugged into it.
This is useful when there are not enough network connections for all
the phones and computers. It is done a lot.

Sometimes people do silly things with network cables. On several
occasions in my experience people have plugged BOTH network ports
on a phone into a nearby network switch or into a pair of network
sockets on the wall. It may not be logical or sensible, but it
happens.

The network now has a loop. Broadcast packets can circulate
round that loop indefinitely as the time to live header is not
decremented by switches. Those circulating packets get broadcast
to every device on the network, using up bandwidth and processing
time in the network stack of the connected devices.

The symptoms vary a lot. Sometimes just the phones stop working
properly as they have relatively slow processors. Other times the
whole network grinds to a halt. It does not always happen
immediately - it can take time for enough packets to be in
circulation to cause a problem. Many switches try to minimise
the harm caused by network loops. They limit the maximum throughput
of broadcast packets, usually to around 10% of the connection
speed. This converts a complete disaster into "just" a very
sluggish network. Other switches send probe packets to detect
loops and switch off the affected ports if a loop is detected.
This still causes problems, especially if one of the ports involved
is the uplink port of the switch.

None of this is ******** or crap. I have seen it happen and have
packet dumps to prove it.

Look up "broadcast storm". It is a well known effect.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 12:36, R D S wrote:
On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
What could cause a network to clag up?

Thanks for all the responses, I can't log into the router, none of the
possible default passwords i've Googled work, and i'm beyond certain I
haven't changed it. And for some reason it won't factory reset.

I remember we had bother with another router some years back, it was
getting so hot it was going brown.

I'll bin it and get something better.

When in doubt, chuck it out.

I had a TPlink thast did that. I binned thet too. Or gave it away..mists
of time ****.,.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2018 12:49, wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 19:07:37 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have to say that is the motrs utter ******** I have read today.
Broadcast packets curculkate around thje network?
Crap.
What ARE you talking about?

OK. I'll spell it out. A lot of VoIP phones have two ethernet ports
so that one port can be connected to the network socket on the wall
or in the floor and the other can have a PC plugged into it.
This is useful when there are not enough network connections for all
the phones and computers. It is done a lot.

Sometimes people do silly things with network cables. On several
occasions in my experience people have plugged BOTH network ports
on a phone into a nearby network switch or into a pair of network
sockets on the wall. It may not be logical or sensible, but it
happens.

OK.

[...]

Ah.. If you had said that in the first place..

But that is corporate environment with idiots playing with complex kit.

Its not gonna happen in a domestic two pcs and a wifi laptop and TV type
environnment.

Admit it, you were just trying to be smart.

Whereas almost everyone who commmented has had *a* router or other show
this when it had a memory leak.

John

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 16:30:44 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote
R D S wrote

[...]

Who said that the OP said "I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed."

I get almost 200mb at home.
at work we have fibre too and both up and down are nearer to 500Mbps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 December 2018 13:06:09 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Look up "broadcast storm". It is a well known effect.

Ah.. If you had said that in the first place..

I did explain what happens in my original post. I thought it was
reasonably clear.

But this discussion IS about an office environment. the OP wrote:

"I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.
But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again."

Its not gonna happen in a domestic two pcs and a wifi laptop and TV type
environnment.

I could easily happen in such an environment too if somebody - perhaps
a child - plays with the cables.

Whereas almost everyone who commmented has had *a* router or other show
this when it had a memory leak.

I totally agree. Most domestic routers are bug-ridden crap.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have to say that is the motrs utter ******** I have read today.
Broadcast packets curculkate around thje network?
Crap.
What ARE you talking about?

OK. I'll spell it out. A lot of VoIP phones have two ethernet ports so
that one port can be connected to the network socket on the wall or in
the floor and the other can have a PC plugged into it.

And I actually have seven of these in the house, in use.

At home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Pity about the next para, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

And the OP's is a work environment.

Its not gonna happen in a domestic two pcs and a wifi laptop and TV type
environnment.

The OP's not that.

Admit it, you were just trying to be smart.

Whereas almost everyone who commmented has had *a* router or other show
this when it had a memory leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 December 2018 18:54:23 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

go find yourself a nice pigs arse or go lie in a paper bag.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 18:05:54 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

So I got a Draytek 2860 and all has been relatively well. A much better
internet/printing experience.

Ongoing though, and this week in particular i'm having a royal PIA
logging onto Lloyds banking. Par? I don't know, it has been *really*
bad.

Have you updated the firmware in the 2860? I got one quite early on and
there were some glaring problems (it wouldn't pass stuff out from port 53
even if the firewall was turned off, for example).

Other than that, check the settings very carefully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the only way to prove the point is to move the computer down the road
assuming its the same isp and see what occurs there. It sounds like a router
issue to me, but why now? Maybe the sites have recently implimented some
extra security. Do you have an add blocker, turn it off.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's
my gear?

So I got a Draytek 2860 and all has been relatively well. A much better
internet/printing experience.

Ongoing though, and this week in particular i'm having a royal PIA
logging onto Lloyds banking. Par? I don't know, it has been *really*
bad.

Have you updated the firmware in the 2860? I got one quite early on and
there were some glaring problems (it wouldn't pass stuff out from port 53
even if the firewall was turned off, for example).

Other than that, check the settings very carefully.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 07:05 PM, R D S wrote:

"The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified"

What would be the process for diagnosing this problem? Could it possibly be at ISP level?

Might be a SSL/HTTPS booboo. It's not always on your side. A lot of webservers seem rather broken in that they more or less randomly cut connections. try to bring up your browsers error console.
The error messages are not always very telling and sometimes outright arbitrary,
so you might have to continue with tshark
or similar packet capture tool and maybe ssldump, openssl, s_client to try and replicate
the failing request or which part of it triggers the bug in /their/ web server. Then you
write angry emails and hope they fix it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2019 07:45, Johann Klammer wrote:
On 09/11/2019 07:05 PM, R D S wrote:

"The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified"

What would be the process for diagnosing this problem? Could it possibly be at ISP level?

Might be a SSL/HTTPS booboo. It's not always on your side. A lot of webservers seem rather broken in that they more or less randomly cut connections. try to bring up your browsers error console.
The error messages are not always very telling and sometimes outright arbitrary,
so you might have to continue with tshark
or similar packet capture tool and maybe ssldump, openssl, s_client to try and replicate
the failing request or which part of it triggers the bug in /their/ web server. Then you
write angry emails and hope they fix it.

Does the below mean anything to anyone?

Analytics utag.js:209
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]" nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896" data:
no] (unknown)
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]" nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame ::
resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896" data: no]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2019 02:29 PM, R D S wrote:

Does the below mean anything to anyone?

Analytics utag.js:209
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896" data: no] (unknown)
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896" data: no]

Broken java script.
Very common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2019 13:29, R D S wrote:

Does the below mean anything to anyone?

AnalyticsÂ* utag.js:209
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]"Â* nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"Â* location: "JS frame ::
resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896"Â* data:
no] (unknown)
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.host]"Â* nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"Â* location: "JS frame ::
resource://gre/modules/WebRequest.jsm :: canModify :: line 896"Â* data: no]

Looks like javascript was trying to nob some url that it couldnt find.

Been hacked?

Delete all cookies/caches etc etc close browser and retry

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.