Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freeview CatchUp in EPG

The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already
been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program
list served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or
maybe a mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including
myself, complaining that often the (back in time) button is absent
from the EPG. Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet
server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the
only way to bring the symbol back, often turning the set off then on
looses the , though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get
the for hours and days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already
been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program list
served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or maybe a
mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including myself,
complaining that often the (back in time) button is absent from the EPG.
Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the only
way to bring the symbol back, often turning the set off then on looses
the , though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get the for
hours and days.

It will probably be served by internet, via commands from the TV to the
iPlayer (etc) site to so "go get me this programme and start playing from
this point".

It is plausible that a TV could record all channels for a limited period of
time (eg 24 hours) and play the programmes from there.

If the TV needs restarting, I wonder if it keeps losing its internet
connection, or whether the software that communicates with the various
catch-up sites (iPlayer etc) keeps crashing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY expressed precisely :
It will probably be served by internet, via commands from the TV to the
iPlayer (etc) site to so "go get me this programme and start playing from
this point".

No, you misunderstood my question. All of the Playback services work
fine, the only issue is this one..

On the program guide or EPG it lists the various channels. It shows
channel ident, then to the right the current program, following by the
programs coming up during the rest of the day. That always works fine.

On the same program guide page, to the immediate right of the channel
ident is (or is supposed to be) a symbol. Clicking on that symbol
allows you to see what has already been on, that you might have missed
earlier in the day/ earlier in the week. You can then click on them and
watch it, served up from the Internet. All of that works absolutely
great.

Except, the is often missing. Switching off then back on it will be
usually absent from the guide. A channel rescan usually bring it back,
but not always. Once lost, it never reappears without that rescan.

Hence my question, does that facility become enabled by what it
downloads from the Internet, or via the TV's antenna?

LG UK and me are both trying to resolve why the service keeps being
lost by so many owners.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2018 21:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already
been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program
list served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or
maybe a mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including
myself, complaining that often the (back in time) button is absent
from the EPG. Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet
server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the only
way to bring the symbol back, often turning the set off then on looses
the , though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get the
for hours and days.

Harry,
There is a dedicated Digital TV group...

uk.tech.digital-tv

you will find some one in there that knows.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2018 21:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already
been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program
list served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or
maybe a mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including
myself, complaining that often the (back in time) button is absent
from the EPG. Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet
server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the
only way to bring the symbol back, often turning the set off then on
looses the , though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get
the for hours and days.

Does https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...-play.2145696/ help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2018 20:25, F wrote:
On 30/11/2018 21:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already
been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program
list served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or
maybe a mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including
myself, complaining that often the (back in time) button is absent
from the EPG. Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet
server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the
only way to bring the symbol back, often turning the set off then on
looses the , though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get
the for hours and days.

Does https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...-play.2145696/ help?

If you have a look at the updates to the link I posted above you'll find
it's fixed now.