Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dying Kindle

My wifes 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried
different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate
charging. We know that they work on my Kindle.

Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash
from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the low battery
image.

Ive had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power
socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean
internally (no fluff or grit etc.).

Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a
USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
My wifes 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried
different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate
charging. We know that they work on my Kindle.

Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash
from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the low battery
image.

Ive had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power
socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean
internally (no fluff or grit etc.).

Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a
USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Ive seen this on a kindle that has been left for ever and gotr really low.

IIRC we got it back by simply plugging it in and leaving it - for hours

Tim

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I have an early kindle and when the battery has been run down the
charging light often does not come on until 10 minutes after plugging in
the charging cord.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote: My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate charging. We know that they work on my Kindle. Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the ?low battery? image. I?ve had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean internally (no fluff or grit etc.). Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Ive seen this on a kindle that has been left for ever and gotr really low.IIRC we got it back by simply plugging it in and leaving it - for hours

Left it on charge overnight. No joy.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 10:47, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

This any use?
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/k...-battery-error

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
My wifes 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried
different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate
charging. We know that they work on my Kindle.

Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash
from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the low battery
image.

Ive had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power
socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean
internally (no fluff or grit etc.).

Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a
USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Tim

I had a similar thing with an Android tablet which had been left flat
for a long time. It wouldn't take a charge at all, so I opened it up
and connected the battery to a current limited supply at 100mA until it
measured over 3V. I did this where I was able to keep an eye on it.
Then it would charge normally and has been working ever since.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Its not been left. It was in regular use.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
On 05/11/2018 10:47, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Alas no. Charging light just doesnt come on.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 11:45, Tim+ wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

The tiny connectors can come adrift due to the joints failing. If you
look on the web, YouTube would be a good place, chances are there will
be instructions to get it apart.

If the connections have failed, chances are you will be able to see it
and 'touch them up' with a fine soldering iron.

I've never done a Kindle but it has worked on various other beasts with
either mini,micro or full sized USB connectors.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
On 05/11/2018 11:45, Tim+ wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

A small update, and another conundrum.

Having opened it up and inspected the battery contacts and the links from
the micro-USB socket to the board, everything looks good under strong
magnification.

I tested the battery voltage and it was reading just under 4V (printing on
battery pack indicates that its a lithium polymer 3.7V) so it would appear
to be fully charged despite no charging light appearing at any time and the
screen indicating that its discharged.

I strongly suspect that theres feck all that I can do now unless anyone
has any brilliant suggestions beyond doing a reset or plugging it into a pc
(which doesnt acknowledge its presence).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

I strongly suspect that theres feck all that I can do now

I don't know kindles, but other e-readers have a 'hard' reset that can
be invoked by e.g. poking a paperclip in a tiny hole, or holding the
power button for a very long time 30s, or since you've got the back
off, disconnect the battery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

I strongly suspect that theres feck all that I can do now

I don't know kindles, but other e-readers have a 'hard' reset that can
be invoked by e.g. poking a paperclip in a tiny hole, or holding the
power button for a very long time 30s, or since you've got the back
off, disconnect the battery.

BTDTGTTS. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2018 13:04, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

I strongly suspect that theres feck all that I can do now

I don't know kindles, but other e-readers have a 'hard' reset that can
be invoked by e.g. poking a paperclip in a tiny hole, or holding the
power button for a very long time 30s, or since you've got the back
off, disconnect the battery.

BTDTGTTS. ;-)

Tim

My Kindle died. I tried everything I could find to resuscitate it. I
took it apart and reassembled it, but it still did not work.

I hit the chips with a hammer and slung the residue in the bin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging.

If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that
there are invariably Black Friday deals on Kindles
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/6/2018 9:02 AM, Chris French wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging.

If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that
there are invariably Black Friday deals on Kindles

The new one is waterproof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging.

If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that
there are invariably Black Friday deals on Kindles

Yep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes offer replacements at
a discount. Waiting to hear about that currently.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris French wrote: Tim+ Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black Friday deals on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes offer replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that currently.Tim-- Please don't feed the trolls

Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and
someone getting a full replacement, long after warranty period
was over
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris French wrote: Tim+
Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle
Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing to
get a replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black Friday
deals on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes
offer replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that
currently.Tim-- Please don't feed the trolls

Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and
someone getting a full replacement, long after warranty period
was over

Its 5 years old. Theyve offered a 15% non-expiring discount on a new one.
I think well wait for Black Friday and see if the discounts can be
combined.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2018 14:02, Chris French wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging.

If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that
there are invariably Black Friday deals on Kindles

Also, don't forget that there is a market for these - there are whose
who take great pleasure (and perhaps a little income) from repairing them.

In the last year I have sold an old PaperWhite Kindle with a broken
screen for £40 (a new one could be had for £100), and a 10 year old
TomTom with a dead internal storage for £60... Both on eBay, and both
were purchased by people with East European-sounding names. Both, for
some reason emailed me within a few weeks to let me know that they had
managed to fix them...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2018 12:24, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
On 05/11/2018 11:45, Tim+ wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Doesn't sound promising.

I fear it maybe terminal.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2018 18:02, Brian Reay wrote:

I fear it maybe terminal.

You mean that it may be terminal, maybe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris French wrote: Tim+
Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite
has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing to get a
replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black Friday deals
on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes offer
replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that currently.Tim--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and
someone getting a full replacement, long after warranty period
was over

Presumably the last was when the device has a known design issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging.

If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that
there are invariably Black Friday deals on Kindles

Also, don't forget that there is a market for these - there are whose who
take great pleasure (and perhaps a little income) from repairing them.

In the last year I have sold an old PaperWhite Kindle with a broken screen
for £40 (a new one could be had for £100), and a 10 year old TomTom with
a dead internal storage for £60... Both on eBay, and both were purchased
by people with East European-sounding names. Both, for some reason emailed
me within a few weeks to let me know that they had managed to fix them...

Fark, wonder why they bother.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 06:35:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

In the last year I have sold an old PaperWhite Kindle with a broken screen
for 40 (a new one could be had for 100), and a 10 year old TomTom with
a dead internal storage for 60... Both on eBay, and both were purchased
by people with East European-sounding names. Both, for some reason emailed
me within a few weeks to let me know that they had managed to fix them...

Fark, wonder why they bother.

Because THEY can repair them with little cost, senile Rot?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 17:25:28 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
In the last year I have sold an old PaperWhite Kindle with a broken
screen for £40 (a new one could be had for £100), and a 10 year old
TomTom with a dead internal storage for £60... Both on eBay, and both
were purchased by people with East European-sounding names. Both, for
some reason emailed me within a few weeks to let me know that they had
managed to fix them...

It might have been cheaper to buy it back than pay for a repair :-)

A used 15 inch Android tablet is £99 on ebay if anyone wants anything bigger than a Kindle. 24 inch is only £150. That's bigger than my telly (which is what puts me off buying it!)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris French wrote: Tim+
Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle
Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing
to get a replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black
Friday deals on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon
sometimes offer replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that
currently.Tim-- Please don't feed the trolls

Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and someone
getting a full replacement, long after warranty period was over

Presumably the last was when the device has a known design issue.

I just junked mine, converted all the books to ePub and bought a generic
reader.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Chris French wrote: Tim+
Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle
Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing
to get a replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black
Friday deals on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon
sometimes offer replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that
currently.Tim-- Please don't feed the trolls

Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and someone
getting a full replacement, long after warranty period was over

Presumably the last was when the device has a known design issue.

I just junked mine, converted all the books to ePub and bought a generic
reader.

I installed the kindle app on the desktop PC and mostly
read the ebooks on that, on the 23" widescreen monitor.

And have it auto synched to the iphone 6S which I read
the books on when I need the portability like when in
the GP waiting room or in A&E at the hospital etc. Works
surprisingly well, much better than I expected it would.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aaron" Wrote in message:
"Chris French" wrote in message ... Tim+ Wrote in message: Chris French wrote: Tim+ Wrote in message: My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. If you end up needing to get a replacement, don't forget that there are invariably Black Friday deals on KindlesYep, thinking about that. I believe Amazon sometimes offer replacements ata discount. Waiting to hear about that currently.Tim-- Please don't feed the trolls Yes' I've heard of friends getting discounts like that, and someone getting a full replacement, long after warranty period was overPresumably the last was when the device has a known design issue.

Posdibly, it some years ago now
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05-Nov-18 11:45, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 05/11/2018 10:47, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Part 2 of that article said
"hold the power slide to the right for at least 20 seconds"
My paperwhite ain't got no steenkin' power slide.
(Nor a "Home" key)

I wonder if (UK) Kindle Customer Services would replace it for free?

--
Sam Plusnet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2018 12:24, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
On 05/11/2018 11:45, Tim+ wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

4.2V is fully charged. It's half charged

I strongly suspect that theres feck all that I can do now unless anyone
has any brilliant suggestions beyond doing a reset or plugging it into a pc
(which doesnt acknowledge its presence).

Reset it. Ther is some way to do that I used once

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/k...-battery-error

Ok thats what I followed and it worked

Tim

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet Wrote in message:
On 05-Nov-18 11:45, Tim+ wrote: Richard wrote: On 05/11/2018 10:47, Tim+ wrote: The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message: On 05/11/2018 09:43, Tim+ wrote: My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate charging. We know that they work on my Kindle. Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the ?low battery? image. I?ve had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean internally (no fluff or grit etc.). Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit? Ive seen this on a kindle that has been left for ever and gotr really low.IIRC we got it back by simply plugging it in and leaving it - for hours Left it on charge overnight. No joy. Tim This any use? https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/kindle-critical-battery-error Alas no. Charging light just doesn?t come on. Part 2 of that article said"hold the power slide to the right for at least 20 seconds"My paperwhite ain't got no steenkin' power slide.(Nor a "Home" key)I wonder if (UK) Kindle Customer Services would replace it for free?-- Sam Plusnet

That article is dated 2010. Kindles then still had keyboards. I
doubt it applies to any recent models
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov 2018 09:43:02 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

My wifes 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried
different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate
charging. We know that they work on my Kindle.

Pressing and holding the power button will briefly elicit a green flash
from the LED and the screen blanks then cycles back to the low battery
image.

Ive had a look inside but nothing appear loose and even if the power
socket was loose it would be beyond my skills to fix. The socket is clean
internally (no fluff or grit etc.).

Anyone else had this problem? Would it be worth taking it somewhere for a
USB socket replacement working on it being the likeliest culprit?

Tim

There's a 2017 youtube video by a Yank who suggests holding down a
button on the back for a full 40 seconds. Mind you, he said this
simulates removing the battery which I guess you've already tried.
--
Dave W

Kindle touch Jim Hawkins UK diy 9 June 27th 12 01:09 AM
Original 100% Cheap unlock Iphone 5, IPad, IPod, Digital CamerasNikon, Digital Cameras Sony, Digital Cameras Canon,, Kindle, SONY PS3, Xbox360, Wii etc Sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 June 12th 12 11:41 AM
Cheap iphone 5, IPad, IPod, Digital Cameras Canon, Kindle, PS3, Xbox360, Wii etc sale [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 10th 12 05:07 AM
OT kindle ebook reader thingys Jim K[_3_] UK diy 60 March 3rd 11 12:48 PM
Kindle Wireless Reading Device Amazon Direct Deals Electronics 0 July 18th 10 04:49 PM