Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY: Removing fire surround

Anyone any ideas how to remove one of these preferably without destroying it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs9oxykyve...20.12.jpg?dl=0

Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either side which are sometimes sunk into the plaster with filler on top to disguise them. I have run a magnet down the edges and have not picked up the presence of either plates or screws unless they are actually brass. Whatever is holding it in place is pretty solid with absolutely no give anywhere.

I need to get to a pipe that is running under the bit on the floor. It will be replaced eventually so if I have to wrench it off I will do it but would like to replace the surround temporarily if only to cover up the hearth behind it until I am ready to replace it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either side

That's what I'd have expected,
if you're unlucky it's been gripfilled ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote in news:75c457b4-0722-49a0-8b1c-
:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs9oxykyve...20.12.jpg?dl=0

Mine can be lifted off. Press against it with knees and lift.I told the
installer that I did not want the usual screw fixings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing fire surround

Tricky Dicky wrote:
Anyone any ideas how to remove one of these preferably without
destroying it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs9oxykyve...20.12.jpg?dl=0

Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either
side which are sometimes sunk into the plaster with filler on top to
disguise them. I have run a magnet down the edges and have not picked
up the presence of either plates or screws unless they are actually
brass. Whatever is holding it in place is pretty solid with
absolutely no give anywhere.

I need to get to a pipe that is running under the bit on the floor.
It will be replaced eventually so if I have to wrench it off I will
do it but would like to replace the surround temporarily if only to
cover up the hearth behind it until I am ready to replace it.

Richard

Usually they have a little bracket on each side, could be brass.
They have probably been covered by wall paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

if you're unlucky it's been gripfilled ...

Andy I think you may be right, I have managed to run a blade the full length of one side through what appears some caulking and I have not hit anything metallic. At the bottom there is a few mm of movement but at the top it is fixed solid, the two uprights feel hollow in the main but some areas feel solid so I am coming to the conclusion it's been stuck on.

Oh well! Looks like I will need to dust off the pry bar, SWAMBO does not like it anyway I just wanted to avoid the making good for a while

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2018 15:27, Tricky Dicky wrote:

if you're unlucky it's been gripfilled ...

Andy I think you may be right, I have managed to run a blade the full length of one side through what appears some caulking and I have not hit anything metallic. At the bottom there is a few mm of movement but at the top it is fixed solid, the two uprights feel hollow in the main but some areas feel solid so I am coming to the conclusion it's been stuck on.

Oh well! Looks like I will need to dust off the pry bar, SWAMBO does not like it anyway I just wanted to avoid the making good for a while

Richard

"How to remove?"

2 answers suggest themselves

1/. Carefully

2/. By destroying what it is attached to.

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell