Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler

After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2018 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Limescale build-up? Is the boiler kettling or making other noises.

If so a dose of boiler noise reducer or anti-kettling additive to
dissolve the limescale may be worth a cheap gamble for curing the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

I live in a hard water area and my boiler was installed in 1988!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2018 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:

After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Could even be the result of power flushing if not done with care (i.e.
remembering to take the boiler out of circuit prior to flushing so you
don't end up flushing crap into the HX!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains water
all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

PS pressure cleaning will not fix the potable side of the heat exchanger.

You'd have to take it out and soak it in descaler for that.

But it's easier just to shove in a new unit at that point assuming that
is cost effective.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article 2,
DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

I live in a hard water area and my boiler was installed in 1988!

Quite likely designed before boilers starting having low volume heat
exchangers. Keep it going, any theoretical inefficiency will be offset
by the cost and relatively short life of a modern boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains water
all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I was
assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked on the
primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's
heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely?
12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains
water all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I
was assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked
on the primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

??It is a conventional Boiler - not a Combi
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/18 00:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains water
all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I was
assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked on the
primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Oh - yes, main HX... I just read it as the DHW HX.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/18 10:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's
heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely?
12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains
water all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I
was assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked
on the primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

??It is a conventional Boiler - not a Combi

Understood - in which case, has the plumber tried a chemical flush? (Non
disruptive and low risk - inject one of these:

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk/...aning-chemical

run for the recommended time, drain and refill.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 November 2018 10:14:38 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:

After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's
heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely?
12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains
water all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I
was assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked
on the primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

??It is a conventional Boiler - not a Combi

Boiler blockage seems unlikely then. Flow failure is more likely to be down to crud in the pump impellor or settled at the lowest points in the system.

You can get a chemical that blocks holes in heat exchangers. You can run that for 14 years in a system with no filter, where the boiler kettles each time it runs and still not block the exchanger.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT

New pump fitted last week. Old one was fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2018 10:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 03/11/2018 18:48, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/11/18 17:50, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's
heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely?
12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Quite possible in that timescale - the heat exchanger sees mains
water all the time, so hard water will scale it up.

You are assuming its a combi, and in a hard water area as well... I
was assuming he was talking about the main HX being (partly) blocked
on the primary side. Perhaps the OP could clarify?

??It is a conventional Boiler - not a Combi

So presumably non condensing at that age... What make and model is it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2018 11:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

NT

New pump fitted last week. Old one was fine.

If you still have the old pump, then you could use it to lash up a power
flushing system to try and clean the boiler. You would need a large tub
for the water and some system cleaner, then some pushfit etc to allow
you to pump directly through the boilers flow and return while isolated
from the rest of the system. Should be possible with a few changes of
direction to clear most blockages (unless its a spanner (literally) in
the works!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 17:50:36 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating
system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years
old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.

Unlikely. But "silt" (metal oxides" could have wafted in from elsewhere in the system. Should be easy enough to dislodge if the boiler was taken outside and the garden hose applied to the connections.

The radiators could need the same treatment.
If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system.
Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The radiators could need the same treatment.
If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in
the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system.
Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.

The Heating Engineer has proposed a new boiler in view of the problem and
its age.

Stangely - despite his website saying he fits Worcester-Bosch and
Veissemann, he is proposing a BAXI Ecoblue

I guess based on ease of fit. Are they any good?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/18 10:12, DerbyBorn wrote:
The radiators could need the same treatment.
If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in
the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system.
Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.

The Heating Engineer has proposed a new boiler in view of the problem and
its age.

Stangely - despite his website saying he fits Worcester-Bosch and
Veissemann, he is proposing a BAXI Ecoblue

I guess based on ease of fit. Are they any good?

I'd stick with WB or Viessmann - both have good reputations and I find
my WB a decent bit of kit.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

On 06/11/18 10:12, DerbyBorn wrote:
The radiators could need the same treatment.
If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in
the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system.
Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.

The Heating Engineer has proposed a new boiler in view of the problem
and its age.

Stangely - despite his website saying he fits Worcester-Bosch and
Veissemann, he is proposing a BAXI Ecoblue

I guess based on ease of fit. Are they any good?

I'd stick with WB or Viessmann - both have good reputations and I find
my WB a decent bit of kit.

Unusually - the Baxi claims to not need an over-run on the pump.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 10:12:57 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

The radiators could need the same treatment.
If there is a lot of crud inside, it points to corrosion problems in
the system, the radiators may all be shagged.

Benefits of anticorrosion treatment in the system.
Made worse if the system has been "pumping over.

The Heating Engineer has proposed a new boiler in view of the problem and
its age.

Stangely - despite his website saying he fits Worcester-Bosch and
Veissemann, he is proposing a BAXI Ecoblue

I guess based on ease of fit. Are they any good?

1st it's evident he doesn't know what the problem is and is using the situation to try & sell you an expensive new boiler that you most likely don't need.

2nd the only good boiler makes AIUI are worcester bosch & vaillant. None of the others got decent results on Which.

NT