Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frustrations arising from adding a second door bell

On Sunday, 28 October 2018 09:48:32 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/10/2018 17:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
PaulS presented the following explanation :
Any other novel solutions I might use given that:
- There is only one 2 core wire in place to the front door where the
first bell and switch (bell push) are and no option of adding another.
- There is only one 2 core wire to the second bell.
- I only have access to the wires where they terminate near the
transformer. This in effect means I CAN'T wire the bells in parallel.
- Wireless is not an option. I need a fix and forget set-up with no
batteries.

Long read I know, so thanks for reading.

I'd welcome some words of wisdom / experience of similar situations.

The two bells need to be wired in parallel with each other and supplied
with their correct working voltage.

And sufficient current to work too. Solenoid based ding-dong bells can
draw a surprisingly high pulse of current and the original transformer
may not be man enough to deliver enough current for two of them.

I have a loud piezo-electric self contained beeper as my office repeater
which presents a minimal load to the original circuit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Piezo -I may just try this if some of the other solutions based on the current kit don't work. The office repeater is fairly inaccessible (ladders are involved) so If I can avoid precarious fiddling I will.