Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default paint problem

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

an old fashioned blow lamp (aka cordless hot-air gun)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

If you were not English,something with a goodly proportion of methylene
chloride in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2018 12:37, charles wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

an old fashioned blow lamp (aka cordless hot-air gun)

He said the paint doesn't soften with a hot air gun. That seems wrong to
me (although I agree that a decent blow-lamp, or (easier) a propane
torch, should do it).

My hot air gun has a restrictor nozzle to get the temperature up. Don't
think I have ever needed it, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz Wrote in message:
Mike wrote:

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

If you were not English,something with a goodly proportion of methylene
chloride in it.

Ebay UK item 332009502121
99.9% material
500ml
£gb 9.99 posted

Others are easily available...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121

Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz Wrote in message:
Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121

Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

Is there a better way to get the strength required to strip paint?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 12:23:54 UTC+1, Mike wrote:

I'm repainting woodwork inside a 1928 house. Some of the interior white
gloss is certainly more than 35 years old, possibly much more. I'm
stripping it in case there's lead in the paint. Some of the gloss white
paint does not soften with a hot air gun, nor Paint Panther chemical
stripper. Any suggestions to get it off? Or shall I just sand it and
take my chance on the lead.

if it doesn't want to come off, leave it on! Consider yourself lucky.

Sanding lead is, er, not smart. Burning it off indoors ditto.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2018 15:30, FMurtz wrote:
Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121

Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121

Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

The fumes can kill you.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121
Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

The fumes can kill you.

No they can't. I worked in a lab for years that used it and must have
breathed in loads. It's only dangerous if it comes in contact with a
naked flame or red hot surface - it's not flammable but the heat causes
it to turn into something nasty - or that in combination with the air.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121
Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

The fumes can kill you.

No they can't.

I have no skin in this game. The internet says they can, and have.

http://jordanbarab.com/confinedspace...loride-deaths/

I worked in a lab for years that used it and must have
breathed in loads. It's only dangerous if it comes in contact with a
naked flame or red hot surface - it's not flammable but the heat causes
it to turn into something nasty - or that in combination with the air.

See my link.

I agree its safe if you aren't STUPID with it, but sadly peole are just
that.

I nearly pased out and died when visting a brewery - I wanted to get a
good sniff of the fermnentation vats. I got a lungful of pure CO2.

Its just as dangerous.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121
Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

The fumes can kill you.

No they can't.

Yes they can.

I worked in a lab for years that used it and must have breathed in loads.
It's only dangerous if it comes in contact with a naked flame or red hot
surface

That is just plain wrong.

- it's not flammable

Wrong again.

but the heat causes it to turn into something nasty

Yes.

- or that in combination with the air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane#Toxicity

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 04:54:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The fumes can kill you.

No they can't.

Yes they can.

BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

That is just plain wrong.

BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Wrong again.

BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Get treatment, senile idiot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121

Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

What's supposed to be so dangerous about lead in paint that can't be
removed?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Ebay UK item 332009502121
Not that you would want to use pure methylene chloride but The UK is
making it difficult to buy paint remover in paint shops and hardware
with it in it

what's supposed to be so dangerous about methylene chloride?

What's supposed to be so dangerous about lead in paint that can't be
removed?

Kids have sometimes nibbled on it with terrible results. Otherwise it's a relatively good paint for protecting wood.

NT