Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default nissan leaf again

wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 October 2018 04:15:13 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
...and make the blades out of solar panels, and you can get other road
users to pay you for the electricity that they generate.

Also solar panels on the rear bumper, then you can be powered by the car
behind's headlamps

Owain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmShTA92Gs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes me it would be a good idea to carry one and be
able to charge up if you run out of juice....like carrying a gallon of
petrol in the boot......

or will it not charge because there is no ground? ....

It will in fact charge fine and some EVs are sold with one supplied to
do that.

really?...which ones ? ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3...xtender_option

thought you meant a geny in the trunk that you plugged in not built in.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I would think that its a bit like the lady who swallowed a spider.
To charge it up fast enough you would need a fair sized generator or a
smaller one running for a longer time.To do this you would need to also
pack fuel for the generator to fill it up....
Brian

what about a long extension cable then ? .....

as long as it's self retracting

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes me it would be a good idea to carry one and be
able to charge up if you run out of juice....like carrying a gallon
of petrol in the boot......

Have you done the sums on how long a small generator would take to
give you a meaningful range? How much the weight would effect the
range if you carry it at all times?

no.....

Why not just by a hybrid in the first place?

coz I only want to pay for petrol in an emergency and I don't want to
haul about a petrol engine .....

Ah - right. Your emergency generator will run off electricity, then?

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 20:19:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I was thinking that there could be a cow in the
back attached to an extractor so all the methane
was captured and the run the generator on gas.

More fool you. There would be nothing
for it to eat and so no methane, stupid.

Even when people are joking YOU senile idiot have to go one better! Man, you
ARE a psychiatric case, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you posted
from some sort of psychiatric care home for the elderly.

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I would think that its a bit like the lady who swallowed a spider.
To charge it up fast enough you would need a fair sized generator or a
smaller one running for a longer time.To do this you would need to also
pack fuel for the generator to fill it up....
Brian

what about a long extension cable then ? .....

as long as it's self retracting

With a strong enough spring, you could use that for the return journey.
Problem solved.

Or why not a clockwork generator to charge the battery? No need to carry
fuel for that then.

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST!

PLEASE HAVE FUNCTIONING EYES!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes me it would be a good idea to carry one and be
able to charge up if you run out of juice....like carrying a gallon
of petrol in the boot......

Have you done the sums on how long a small generator would take to
give you a meaningful range? How much the weight would effect the
range if you carry it at all times?

no.....

Why not just by a hybrid in the first place?

coz I only want to pay for petrol in an emergency and I don't want to
haul about a petrol engine .....

Ah - right. Your emergency generator will run off electricity, then?

Get a few hours exercise while you wait to creep home ...

https://www.k-tor.com/videos/power-box-50-demo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news I would think that its a bit like the lady who swallowed a spider.
To charge it up fast enough you would need a fair sized generator or
smaller one running for a longer time.To do this you would need to
also
pack fuel for the generator to fill it up....
Brian

what about a long extension cable then ? .....

as long as it's self retracting

With a strong enough spring, you could use that for the return journey.
Problem solved.

Or why not a clockwork generator to charge the battery? No need to carry
fuel for that then.

for brian reay's information ... THAT WAS A JOKE .......TEE HEE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 09:38:05 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Or, if only they could tow ... you could have a friction driven
generator in a trailer charging the battery as you drive! ;-)

why can they not tow ? ....

Because to fit a towbar (more the point technically) 'these days' the
vehicle (and the Towbar I believe) has to be type approved for such
and that would mean testing it with such ... and apart from Tesla in
The States (and I'm not sure their regulations are the same as ours),
no EV I'm aware of has been type approved for a towbar.

The same applies to the Ford Ka etc, so it's not just EV's.

Many (most?) Hybrids can tow because they are just ICE vehicles in any
case. ;-)

yes the worse parts of both worlds....outlandish ....tee hee

so there is no technical reason just an approval issue
....thanks.......think it applies to my mustang then ....but who would want
to tow with a mustang...tee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45T5vRlQbM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:03:43 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was thinking that there could be a cow in the back attached to an
extractor so all the methane was captured and the run the generator on
gas.
Brian

Some outstanding ingenuity in all these replies. You're all a credit to
the community. :-D

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 October 2018 09:38:12 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 22:08:35 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 19/10/2018 21:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small generator?...strikes
me
it would be a good idea to carry one and be able to charge up if you run
out
of juice....like carrying a gallon of petrol in the boot......

What's the battery capacity? 20 kWh? So 4% of capacity after an hour
from a typical small genny? Easier to carry a big diesel battery.

Or, if only they could tow ... you could have a friction driven
generator in a trailer charging the battery as you drive! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

why can they not tow ? ....

Some can. Mitsubishi make one but it'sa PIHEV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes me it would be a good idea to carry one and be
able to charge up if you run out of juice....like carrying a gallon
of petrol in the boot......

Have you done the sums on how long a small generator would take to
give you a meaningful range? How much the weight would effect the
range if you carry it at all times?

no.....

Why not just by a hybrid in the first place?

coz I only want to pay for petrol in an emergency and I don't want to
haul about a petrol engine .....

Ah - right. Your emergency generator will run off electricity, then?

Get a few hours exercise while you wait to creep home ...

https://www.k-tor.com/videos/power-box-50-demo

ideal for fat boy brian reay ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/10/2018 21:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes
me
it would be a good idea to carry one and be able to charge up if you
run
out
of juice....like carrying a gallon of petrol in the boot......

What's the battery capacity? 20 kWh? So 4% of capacity after an hour
from a typical small genny? Easier to carry a big diesel battery.

Or, if only they could tow ... you could have a friction driven
generator in a trailer charging the battery as you drive! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

why can they not tow ? ....

Some can. Mitsubishi make one but it'sa PIHEV

outlandish and doesn't count .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 08:03:43 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was thinking that there could be a cow in the back attached to an
extractor so all the methane was captured and the run the generator on
gas.
Brian

Some outstanding ingenuity in all these replies. You're all a credit to
the community. :-D

feck the smart arses ....I want something that works ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was thinking that there could be a cow in the back attached to an
extractor so all the methane was captured and the run the generator on gas.
Brian

Many years ago, there was a chap from Devon, Tamar Valley way IIRC,
who rigged up a van to run on methane made from chicken **** in some
sort of home-made digester. He compressed the gas into cylinders in
the back of the van and drove to London. I think it was at the time of
the oil crisis, three-day week, miner's strike, Grocer Heath PM etc,
so 1973/74-ish. It certainly made headlines in the media at the time.

Also in Devon but at Halwill Junction my Dads friend had run his Ford
consul like that at the time of the Suez crisis and for while after using
the effluent from his piggery.
He had been in the Royal Engineers during WW2 and was fairly good with
machinery and making things and would have been familiar with wood gas
powered vehicles which utilised the gas producer on a trailer such as this
bus.
https://goo.gl/images/CNRPcV
By the time I knew him the car had reverted to petrol but he still had the
parts hung up in his workshop.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2018 09:36, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

It will in fact charge fine and some EVs are sold with one supplied to do
that.

really?...which ones ? ....

Every Hybrid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2018 10:23, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I would think that its a bit like the lady who swallowed a spider.
To charge it up fast enough you would need a fair sized generator or a
smaller one running for a longer time.To do this you would need to also
pack fuel for the generator to fill it up....
Brian

what about a long extension cable then ? .....

I've got an old curly kettle lead that you can have ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news I would think that its a bit like the lady who swallowed a spider.
To charge it up fast enough you would need a fair sized generator or a
smaller one running for a longer time.To do this you would need to also
pack fuel for the generator to fill it up....
Brian

what about a long extension cable then ? .....

as long as it's self retracting

With a strong enough spring, you could use that for the return journey.
Problem solved.

Or why not a clockwork generator to charge the battery? No need to carry
fuel for that then.

There used to be a fleet of city rental cars in a city in
France that ran on compressed air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/10/2018 21:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small
generator?...strikes me
it would be a good idea to carry one and be able to charge up if you
run out
of juice....like carrying a gallon of petrol in the boot......

What's the battery capacity? 20 kWh? So 4% of capacity after an hour
from a typical small genny? Easier to carry a big diesel battery.

Or, if only they could tow ... you could have a friction driven
generator in a trailer charging the battery as you drive! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Or a trailed generator big enough to drive the car for ever with a huge
fuel tank behind the generator.

even better if it is provided for 'free' by 'motability'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was thinking that there could be a cow in the back attached to an
extractor so all the methane was captured and the run the generator on gas.
Brian

Many years ago, there was a chap from Devon, Tamar Valley way IIRC,
who rigged up a van to run on methane made from chicken **** in some
sort of home-made digester. He compressed the gas into cylinders in
the back of the van and drove to London. I think it was at the time of
the oil crisis, three-day week, miner's strike, Grocer Heath PM etc,
so 1973/74-ish. It certainly made headlines in the media at the time.

Some 30 years ago, a workmate commuted Brighton to London with his diesel
car fuelled by old deep frier oil. His son was catering manager for a
largish organisation, who actually paid him to collect it. He had a filter
plant set up at home. But this was an old diesel - modern ones with
electronics everywhere might not be so forgiving.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Did it smell of fish and chips?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

[...]

Yes it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

LOL You are simply incurable, you totally ****ed up wiseacre!

--
Marland addressing bull****ting senile Rot:
"Stay in your wet paper bag you thick twit."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Some 30 years ago, a workmate commuted Brighton to London with his
diesel car fuelled by old deep frier oil. His son was catering manager
for a largish organisation, who actually paid him to collect it. He
had a filter plant set up at home. But this was an old diesel - modern
ones with electronics everywhere might not be so forgiving.

Did it smell of fish and chips?

Slightly. But no worse a smell than modern diesels. ;-)

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There is a chap with a small farm near hear who collects and reprocesses
cooking oil for fuel use commercially. So with the right treatment it
seems it can still be used.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Some 30 years ago, a workmate commuted Brighton to London with his diesel
car fuelled by old deep frier oil. His son was catering manager for a
largish organisation, who actually paid him to collect it. He had a filter
plant set up at home. But this was an old diesel - modern ones with
electronics everywhere might not be so forgiving.

There is a chap with a small farm near hear who collects and reprocesses
cooking oil for fuel use commercially. So with the right treatment it
seems it can still be used.

Yes - and IIRC it now has some value if in reasonable quantities.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Some 30 years ago, a workmate commuted Brighton to London with his diesel
car fuelled by old deep frier oil. His son was catering manager for a
largish organisation, who actually paid him to collect it. He had a filter
plant set up at home. But this was an old diesel - modern ones with
electronics everywhere might not be so forgiving.

There is a chap with a small farm near hear who collects and reprocesses
cooking oil for fuel use commercially. So with the right treatment it
seems it can still be used.

Yes - and IIRC it now has some value if in reasonable quantities.

I think they also changed the duty classifications so that small
processors can produce up to a certain amount (2500L rings a bell), and
not have to charge fuel duty on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/10/2018 21:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody tried charging the nissan leaf from a small generator?...strikes me
it would be a good idea to carry one and be able to charge up if you run out
of juice....like carrying a gallon of petrol in the boot......

What's the battery capacity? 20 kWh? So 4% of capacity after an hour
from a typical small genny? Easier to carry a big diesel battery.

Or, if only they could tow ... you could have a friction driven
generator in a trailer charging the battery as you drive! ;-)

I'd put a windmill in the back of a trailer if I had one, and a solar panel and justy hope I wouldn't get stuck in blackwall tunnel like so many seem to.

Cheers, T i m