Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spray foam insulation

Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:50:10 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

great way to destroy a roof structure

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its not very breathable falls off pushes off tiles and pongs lot as
well. bah humbug. My loft however is open to the elements, ie you can, if I
could see see out between the times. It seems that no lining was ever fitted
as there is no evidence of fixings. The good thing is that it does not have
rot, the bad thing is the wrong type of snow powdery, gets in.
And muck.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:50:10 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

great way to destroy a roof structure

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 1:50:10 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

If its the foam that you refer to is the one that is sprayed to the back of the roof, tiles and lath, it will be the biggest mistake you'll make. If you ever have to do a repair or a slate or tile gets broken, its a very expensive job to do, that if any roofing company will take it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 19:16:16 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 19/10/2018 18:08, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:50:10 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

great way to destroy a roof structure

Commercial roof structure could mean anything. But probably not wood and
tiles which it what the foam destroys.

trapped water rusts steel as well as rots wood. Wood & steel covers most roofs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2018 20:41, Kipper at sea wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 1:50:10 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

If its the foam that you refer to is the one that is sprayed to the back of the roof, tiles and lath, it will be the biggest mistake you'll make. If you ever have to do a repair or a slate or tile gets broken, its a very expensive job to do, that if any roofing company will take it on.

My neighbours' house has this spray on insulation[1] but when it was
done the neighbour at the time was sold on it as a cheap method of
stabilising a slate roof reaching the end of its life with more slipping
slates each year. I avoided the "we are next door and can give a
substantial discount if you sign up today" offer for the same service.

When I had my roof replaced a hidden gutter had to be installed between
my roof and my neighbours roof (terraced property). My roofer wasn't too
pleased when he found that my neighbours slates had been glued down with
foam when removing them to install the gutter. My roofer commented on my
neighbours roof as a property to avoid if ever asked to quote for any
work on it.

[1] Foam sprayed to the underside of the slates gluing them to the
rafters/purlins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 23:55:54 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

It makes the slates impossible to get off in 1 piece and re-use. It also traps water against the timbers & makes them impossible to inspect. A crazy idea.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:
My neighbours' house has this spray on insulation[1] but when it was
done the neighbour at the time was sold on it as a cheap method of
stabilising a slate roof reaching the end of its life with more slipping
slates each year. I avoided the "we are next door and can give a
substantial discount if you sign up today" offer for the same service.

When I had my roof replaced a hidden gutter had to be installed between
my roof and my neighbours roof (terraced property). My roofer wasn't too
pleased when he found that my neighbours slates had been glued down with
foam when removing them to install the gutter. My roofer commented on my
neighbours roof as a property to avoid if ever asked to quote for any
work on it.

[1] Foam sprayed to the underside of the slates gluing them to the
rafters/purlins

Same situation with my brother's roof - neighbours had been sprayed
with this stuff, but fortunately my brother's hadn't.

When the roofer did my brother's, he warned him that if he spoke to
the neighbour about having his done, it would be *much* more expensive.
Reason is that it apparently takes 10 times longer to strip the roof,
and only then will you find out how much of the structure (e.g. rafters)
needs replacing. Also, old roof tiles can't be used as hardcore as they
can't be separated from the foam and battens, and you end up paying to
landfill them, and the volume is always very large.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:50:10 UTC+1, MuddymikeÂ* wrote:

Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

great way to destroy a roof structure

Commercial roof structure could mean anything. But probably not wood and
tiles which it what the foam destroys.

I was thinking of my workshop which has a steel frame with timber
purlins supporting corrugates asbestos.

Mike

hopefully you've now thought better of it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2018 19:16, ARW wrote:
On 19/10/2018 18:08, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 19 October 2018 13:50:10 UTC+1, MuddymikeÂ* wrote:

Have any of you had commercial type building roof interiors foam
insulation sprayed? If so what did it cost?

I cant find a cost per Sq m just many requests to complete a quotation
request form.

Mike

great way to destroy a roof structure

Commercial roof structure could mean anything. But probably not wood and
tiles which it what the foam destroys.

I was thinking of my workshop which has a steel frame with timber
purlins supporting corrugates asbestos.

Mike

hopefully you've now thought better of it.

NT

Lots of opinions against but there's yet to be anyone with experience of
the system answering my original question.

Mike

I don't think anyone here has been unwise enough to use it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2018 19:16, ARW wrote:
[...]

I had my corrugated cement / steel purlin roof of my barn, which I was
turning into a workshop, foam sprayed 9 years ago and it has been absolutely
excellent. We aimed for 100 mm on the roof and 75 mm on the walls, which
were then faced with 18 mm OSB3. about 40 x 40 foot and it was around £4K
then.

My only regret is that they failed to seal the apex properly leaving a gap
that the occasional bird gets through. It has made an enormous difference to
the comfort level.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/18 13:25, Muddymike wrote:

Lots of opinions against but there's yet to be anyone with experience of
the system answering my original question.

Mike

Are you specifically thinking of metal roofing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 19:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/10/18 13:25, Muddymike wrote:

Lots of opinions against but there's yet to be anyone with experience
of the system answering my original question.

Mike

Are you specifically thinking of metal roofing?

No, asbestos roof, steel structure, wooded purlins.

Mike

Foam, foam, foam Don Y[_3_] Home Repair 29 November 10th 15 05:10 AM
Spray insulation / insulating foam? Apropos Home Repair 7 July 28th 05 05:37 PM
insulation spray foam FH Home Repair 19 April 30th 05 04:08 AM
spray foam insulation for drafts??? dude Home Repair 10 January 18th 05 06:54 PM
Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 07:53 PM