Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reconditioning dripping ceramic disc tap?

Hey! Many years on, I arrived here, just AFTER finding the miracle fix, so I thought I'd share it for future ceramic sufferers.

I put a new twin-knobbed swivel-mixer tap in my kitchen not too long ago, but about 6 months ago the hot wouldn't shut off. This was my first experience with ceramic taps, so I took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong with it. I imagined it would be the pink plastic bung in the end, since it was the nearest thing I could see to an old-school tap washer, but on trying to buy a replacement, I had to buy the complete cartridge (10‚¬!). I was fair scunnered! Now just lately, the cold started to run/drip, and I thought WTF? Impossible! So I took it apart, and again could see nothing wrong with it, except the pink bung was paler, and maybe a little compressed. Now wairt a minute. The tap handle had been a we bit loose, and I thought, "Mebbe the wee white bits arnae getting held thegether! So I put it back in, tightened up the final screw with my superstrength, and it now works fine! I'll bet that had been the problem with the hot tap too! Still, I saved myself enough for three pints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chuckle, well it sure beats shearing the screw off so you have to buy a
whole new tap I suppose.
Brian

--
----- --