Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair of a universal joint yoke - possible?

One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

Possibly cast iron?

When you say broken, do you mean a brittle fracture or something else?

Photo?

Cast iron can certainly be TIG welded with the right rod and some skill.
I'm not sure if it can be silver soldered. Maybe SG can be, not sure
about grey. Google is ambiguous.

If it were mine (and not having TIG) I'd probably try silver soldering.
Obviously, you might need to bore out and sleeve the bearing housing
afterwards, or perhaps see if a bigger bearing can be fitted. Failing
that, might it be possible to cut off the splines and graft them on to
something else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 15:48:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

whatever you do don't give us enough information
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 15:48:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

--
Chris Green
·

It will be forged. Probably duff post heat treatment.
It will be a hard one to fix/weld.
The reason for the splined shaft is that UJs do not rotate at constant speed when out of line and axial movement comes in. The spline allows for this..
I should concentrate on getting a replacement part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 18:21, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 7 October 2018 15:48:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

--
Chris Green
·

It will be forged. Probably duff post heat treatment.

On reflection I'm sure you are right about forging. But also on
reflection isn't it more likely to be a metallurgical defect than heat
treatment? That's why a photo would be interesting.

It will be a hard one to fix/weld.

Indeed (but we like them, don't we).

The reason for the splined shaft is that UJs do not rotate at constant speed when out of line and axial movement comes in. The spline allows for this.

although you only need one on the "intermediate" bit.

I should concentrate on getting a replacement part.

I certainly would not ignore that possibility. It's not as if it is a
rare machine. You might actually find that parts from Chinese or Eastern
European copies fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

Possibly cast iron?

Possibly, yes. It certainly looks like a casting of some sort.

When you say broken, do you mean a brittle fracture or something else?

More of a 'worn away until the bearing ripped out', looking at the
remains I think it may not be cast iron as it has torn rather than
cracked.

Photo?

Good idea...... Here you go:-

http:/isbd.net/yoke/p1020500.jpg

Cast iron can certainly be TIG welded with the right rod and some skill.
I'm not sure if it can be silver soldered. Maybe SG can be, not sure
about grey. Google is ambiguous.

I don't have a TIG, only MIG and a little inverter stick welder.

If it were mine (and not having TIG) I'd probably try silver soldering.
Obviously, you might need to bore out and sleeve the bearing housing
afterwards, or perhaps see if a bigger bearing can be fitted. Failing
that, might it be possible to cut off the splines and graft them on to
something else?

Yes, ultimately grafting on to something else *might* be the way to
go. It's one end of:-

spline-UJT-sliding spline-UJT-spline

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Nope. Doesnt work...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 18:21, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 7 October 2018 15:48:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

--
Chris Green
·

It will be forged. Probably duff post heat treatment.

No fault, just worn away by long use.

On reflection I'm sure you are right about forging. But also on
reflection isn't it more likely to be a metallurgical defect than heat
treatment? That's why a photo would be interesting.

It will be a hard one to fix/weld.

Indeed (but we like them, don't we).

The reason for the splined shaft is that UJs do not rotate at constant

speed when out of line and axial movement comes in. The spline allows for
this.

although you only need one on the "intermediate" bit.

Yes, this is one of the 'ends' where it couples on to the driven
shaft, it's not a sliding joint. The sliding joint is in the middle
between this UJT and another.

I should concentrate on getting a replacement part.

I certainly would not ignore that possibility. It's not as if it is a
rare machine. You might actually find that parts from Chinese or Eastern
European copies fit.

I've looked for parts for this before and found the needle rollers for
the UJT but so far haven't found the yokes.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Oops, sorry, should be:-

http://isbd.uk/yoke/p1020500.jpg

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

What model is the tractor? Would a different yoke fit from another
Kubota item fit? For instance I've seen yokes for rotary tillers that
are internally splined, but where yours seems to have a hole (for a
locking bolt?) they have a clamp.

I know nothing at all about these, just the result of a quick google.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 22:25, Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that works for me!

OK so the needle roller bearing has been gone for a long time, that
looks fairly irrecoverable. I'm not really familiar with Kubota
tractors. UJ spares for their mowers look pretty expensive on eBay. This
is obviously on a drive shaft, rather than steering. Less scope to bodge
a drive shaft, I'd have said. If there are really no spares around then
I still think I would be looking to adapt something from another
mini-tractor. You might also look at ATVs.

Looks a bit like this, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-Dr...AOSw4GVYKuK l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 20:47, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:

I should concentrate on getting a replacement part.

I certainly would not ignore that possibility. It's not as if it is a
rare machine. You might actually find that parts from Chinese or Eastern
European copies fit.

I've looked for parts for this before and found the needle rollers for
the UJT but so far haven't found the yokes.

It's usually considered good practice to replace the spider and bearings
a bit sooner :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

Ooi what model?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Long time since I have had any Kubota tackle but George Browns at
Leighton Buzzard were always helpful.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/18 22:25, Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Ah. Yes that is well copulated.

hard thing to make - forged Id say. Maybe a blacsmisth could do it, but
Id definitely say you need to get a new yoke that fits the UJ and
somehow attach it to the splined bit

Maybe make a sleeve that fits over both and drill and pin it.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 22:25:34 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Having seen the photo it may be possible to modify a PTO yoke to replace
it if the Kubota part is not available.

This site:

http://www.amacoo.com/transmission-p...6-walterscheid

Shows some yokes with dimensions.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

It hasn't been gone long, it is somewhat vulnerable because it's quite
low down in front of the mower deck so does get hit by sticks and stones.
In this case I was mowing, there was a bang, and I wasn't mowing.

I'm not really familiar with Kubota
tractors. UJ spares for their mowers look pretty expensive on eBay.

They're expensive everywhere and seem to be subject to some sort of
price fixing/control. Firstly US suppliers refuse to send overseas
(even when they will send other stuff overseas) and US prices are much
lower. Secondly if you look at a list of prices or quite varied small
parts they are all the same (exorbitant) price within a few pence
regardless of what they are. There are a few 'normally replaceable'
items like filters which are cheaper but otherwise everything is $95
to $98.

This
is obviously on a drive shaft, rather than steering. Less scope to bodge
a drive shaft, I'd have said.

Yes, it's the drive from the PTO to the mower deck.

If there are really no spares around then
I still think I would be looking to adapt something from another
mini-tractor. You might also look at ATVs.

Yes.

Looks a bit like this, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-Dr...AOSw4GVYKuK l

That's much longer and is the middle, sliding bit, my broken bit is
on the other half of a much shorter one.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Having seen the photo it may be possible to modify a PTO yoke to replace
it if the Kubota part is not available.

This site:

http://www.amacoo.com/transmission-p...6-walterscheid

Shows some yokes with dimensions.

I've bought from them before, very reasonable prices for UJT needle
bearings compared with just about everywhere else. However they don't
seem to have anything small enough in the way of yokes. I'll bear in
mind adapting something they have though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Chris Green Wrote in message:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

Ooi what model?

T1600H with a 44" deck, the joint is part of the deck drive.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2018 13:07, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:

Looks a bit like this, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-Dr...AOSw4GVYKuK l

That's much longer and is the middle, sliding bit, my broken bit is
on the other half of a much shorter one.

But I wondered whether one of the yokes might be the same

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Looks a bit like this, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-Dr...AOSw4GVYKuK l

That's much longer and is the middle, sliding bit, my broken bit is
on the other half of a much shorter one.

But I wondered whether one of the yokes might be the same

I suspect it's quite a lot bigger (in diameter as well) because it is
(I think) a tractor prop shaft.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

There are operations that allow you to use a US address to have
stuff shipped to which will then send it anywhere you like.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 13:34:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I've bought from them before, very reasonable prices for UJT needle
bearings compared with just about everywhere else. However they don't
seem to have anything small enough in the way of yokes. I'll bear in
mind adapting something they have though.

I think it was worth running a bead with a MIG over the yoke and seeing
how it files across the parent metal. If it goes well and is machineable
build it up, squeeze the ends parallel and get it line bored.

AJH