Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting cordless to corded

Hi All

I have a Graco paint sprayer and cutting a long story short am thinking of converting it to corded.

I have looked online and it seems at least for drills this seems doable however the ones I have seen so far have the batteries which push on to the drill and have 2 connections. The paint sprayer has an 18v slide on type lithium ion battery with many connections and the sprayer has 3 connectors to the battery.

Anyone ever tried doing this before? A few initial questions spring to mind
1. I can clearly identify the + and - but what is the 3rd one for and what should I connect it to? I have temporarily wired the + & - to a DeWalt battery + & - and it seems to work.

2. The sprayer says it is 15 amp so assume I need a transformer whose output power is at least 270 Watts ? I have seen these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulated-S.../dp/B01N9BDX6I

As an example so assume something like this would work?

3. I was thinking of striping out the cells from the existing battery and wiring just the 3 connectors the sprayer uses to the transformer. I assume the rest can be left disconnected?

4. Maybe a daft question but presumably any wire I use has to be able to handle 15 amps (or if I go for the 360 watt one I might as well ensure 20 amps)? Is the fact that it is 18v DC important when selecting the cable? Eg is normal cable design for 20 amps at 240 v AC correct?

5. Any suggestions on the connectors to use? Was going to do a split in the cable so that in the future I could add other battery types of needed to the same rig. Was planning on soldering connectors in the battery itself (assume any electrical solder is ok?) And assume the transformer will come with connectors to connect to it.

Any top tips etc or bitter experience of doing this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx formulated the question :
I might suggest volt-drop becomes the overriding consideration.

Yes, good point, if the cable between the two is going to be longer
than a few feet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 10:49:26 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All

I have a Graco paint sprayer and cutting a long story short am thinking of converting it to corded.

I have looked online and it seems at least for drills this seems doable however the ones I have seen so far have the batteries which push on to the drill and have 2 connections. The paint sprayer has an 18v slide on type lithium ion battery with many connections and the sprayer has 3 connectors to the battery.

Anyone ever tried doing this before? A few initial questions spring to mind
1. I can clearly identify the + and - but what is the 3rd one for and what should I connect it to? I have temporarily wired the + & - to a DeWalt battery + & - and it seems to work.

2 connections are fine, the 3rd monitors battery temp.

2. The sprayer says it is 15 amp so assume I need a transformer whose output power is at least 270 Watts ? I have seen these

that's a gamble

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulated-S.../dp/B01N9BDX6I

As an example so assume something like this would work?

another gamble. Many such can only sustain a quarter of rated output

3. I was thinking of striping out the cells from the existing battery and wiring just the 3 connectors the sprayer uses to the transformer. I assume the rest can be left disconnected?

yes, they're for charging

4. Maybe a daft question but presumably any wire I use has to be able to handle 15 amps

yup

(or if I go for the 360 watt one I might as well ensure 20 amps)? Is the fact that it is 18v DC important when selecting the cable? Eg is normal cable design for 20 amps at 240 v AC correct?

mains flex has 2 layers of thicker insulation. You don't need that

5. Any suggestions on the connectors to use?

I thought you already had the battery casing

Was going to do a split in the cable so that in the future I could add other battery types of needed to the same rig. Was planning on soldering connectors in the battery itself (assume any electrical solder is ok?) And assume the transformer will come with connectors to connect to it.

?
What you want's a power supply, not a transformer

Any top tips etc or bitter experience of doing this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

12v tools are easier

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for you advice. Much appreciated. I didn't quite follow the comments about insulation. Is normal 240v 20amp certified cable ok? In terms of the voltage drop issue, is there a type of wire which would make a noticeable difference? I would have thought I would need about 3 or 4m of cable to enable ceilings to be sprayed etc.

Yes I plan to use the battery casing and solder the cable to the connectors inside (using normal electrical solder?). The connector I was referring to was to split the cable between power supply and battery casing to enable me to use the supply for other battery types.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 11:35:30 UTC+1, wrote:
Thanks all for you advice. Much appreciated. I didn't quite follow the comments about insulation. Is normal 240v 20amp certified cable ok?

sure, it just has excess pvc

In terms of the voltage drop issue, is there a type of wire which would make a noticeable difference? I would have thought I would need about 3 or 4m of cable to enable ceilings to be sprayed etc.

1.5mm2 has 44mV drop /m /1.5A. At 20A that's 0.586V. No big deal for the sprayer, but it's 10W for the cable. Pick something fatter.

Yes I plan to use the battery casing and solder the cable to the connectors inside (using normal electrical solder?). The connector I was referring to was to split the cable between power supply and battery casing to enable me to use the supply for other battery types.

anything rated for 20A and not in use for something else is good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 12:52:52 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 7 October 2018 11:35:30 UTC+1, wrote:

In terms of the voltage drop issue, is there a type of wire which would make a noticeable difference? I would have thought I would need about 3 or 4m of cable to enable ceilings to be sprayed etc.

1.5mm2 has 44mV drop /m /1.5A. At 20A that's 0.586V. No big deal for the sprayer, but it's 10W for the cable. Pick something fatter.

oops
x4m = 2.34v & 40W, no good at all.
2.5mm^2 - 1.4v no
4mm^2 - 0.875v 17.5W no good...

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 11:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Fredxx formulated the question :
I might suggest volt-drop becomes the overriding consideration.

Yes, good point, if the cable between the two is going to be longer than
a few feet.

With a supply as cumbersome as listed then it probably needs to be left
on the ground when spraying. Also, the battery is a sealed power source
whereas the power supply is only designed for a indoor and clean
environment and it may react badly to being over-sprayed with whatever
substance is in the gun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m formulated the question :
With a supply as cumbersome as listed then it probably needs to be left on
the ground when spraying. Also, the battery is a sealed power source whereas
the power supply is only designed for a indoor and clean environment and it
may react badly to being over-sprayed with whatever substance is in the gun.

The SMPSU need be no bigger, heavier, or cumbersome than a typical
desktop PC PSU. About the size of a brick, weighing maybe 0.5 Kg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 13:14:08 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Sunday :

oops
x4m = 2.34v & 40W, no good at all.
2.5mm^2 - 1.4v no
4mm^2 - 0.875v 17.5W no good...

You (and the OP) may be confusing start current, with the run current.
It cannot be drawing anywhere near 15amps when running, or the
batteries would obviously last no time at all. Call the battery
3amp/hour 15amp load = 12 minutes run time.

I hadn't calculated it. If the OP knows the run time & battery capacity he can calculate apx run current.

PSUs vary in their overcurrent ie start current behaviour. Many shut down, meaning the compressor would never get going. On old fashioned supplies that could be fixed with a sufficiently huge capacitor. What a random smps would make of that I don't know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 10:49:26 UTC+1, wrote:

I have a Graco paint sprayer and cutting a long story short am thinking of converting it to corded.

4. Maybe a daft question but presumably any wire I use has to be able to handle 15 amps (or if I go for the 360 watt one I might as well ensure 20 amps)? Is the fact that it is 18v DC important when selecting the cable? Eg is normal cable design for 20 amps at 240 v AC correct?

Electrically, and in the absence of faults, thinner insulation would suffice. But the insulation must also defend the wire from the external environment, and for that one must consider that it might be crossing a gravel path and get trodden on by football boots, it might be considered food-like by the local rabbits and squirrels, etc.

If the sprayer has exposed or exposable metal parts, all such need to be either double-insulated from 230-volt-land or reliably earthed.

Remember Lord Finchley.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
If the sprayer has exposed or exposable metal parts, all such need to be
either double-insulated from 230-volt-land or reliably earthed.

Not if run from a suitable low volts supply.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 October 2018 10:53:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

If the sprayer has exposed or exposable metal parts, all such need to be
either double-insulated from 230-volt-land or reliably earthed.

Not if run from a suitable low volts supply.

no, it's the psu that those apply to

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2018 11:35, wrote:

Thanks all for you advice. Much appreciated. I didn't quite follow
the comments about insulation. Is normal 240v 20amp certified cable
ok? In terms of the voltage drop issue, is there a type of wire which
would make a noticeable difference? I would have thought I would need
about 3 or 4m of cable to enable ceilings to be sprayed etc.

The cable typically used on DC tools is a high flexibility rubber
insulated flex, with quite substantial cross section - the cores usually
2.5mm^2 or in some cases 4.00mm^2.

Yes I plan to use the battery casing and solder the cable to the
connectors inside (using normal electrical solder?). The connector I
was referring to was to split the cable between power supply and
battery casing to enable me to use the supply for other battery
types.

On my Mirka sander, they have used a locking Neutrik connector like:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power

It works very well, easy to connect or disconnect, not too bulky, and
locks in place when in use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On my Mirka sander, they have used a locking Neutrik connector like:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power

Big fan of those. They seem more robust than any other mains (etc)
connector I've come across.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/10/2018 14:29, John Rumm wrote:

The cable typically used on DC tools is a high flexibility rubber
insulated flex, with quite substantial cross section - the cores usually
2.5mm^2 or in some cases 4.00mm^2.

4m of the latter will weigh about a kilo? That's not a lot, but it might
be noticeable spraying the ceiling for a long time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2018 14:55, GB wrote:
On 08/10/2018 14:29, John Rumm wrote:

The cable typically used on DC tools is a high flexibility rubber
insulated flex, with quite substantial cross section - the cores
usually 2.5mm^2 or in some cases 4.00mm^2.

4m of the latter will weigh about a kilo? That's not a lot, but it might
be noticeable spraying the ceiling for a long time?

You can always clip the cable to your belt, so you are only "carrying"
half the length of the bit from belt to tool. Also you will have lost
the weight of the LiIon battery, so should not be significantly worse
off than before.

The cable on my sander is about 4m long, and while its fairly heavy, you
don't really notice it because of its great flexibility and because the
machine itself feels quite "dense" in the hand even if in absolute terms
its very small and light.

--
Cheers,

John.