Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EICR

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 21:08:22 +0100, ARW
wrote:

I spotted this

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRMCB.jpg

5 year old installation.

Why not just make MCBs that cannot allow this to happen?

Third MCB from the right, the terminal on the very right is the RCD.

It is a problem with breakers. DIN terminals are prone too, but a bit
of a tug with long nose pliers can identify the odd duff connection
when suppliers provide cabinets with too little room to connect to the
DIN rails.

I suppose One would need a pair of substantial mole grips along with
rubber gloves and wellies for a distribution board waggle test :-)

If some of the screwdriverless contacts appearing on terminals are
seen as the answer, I would prefer the problem :-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 October 2018 21:08:24 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I spotted this
5 year old installation.
Why not just make MCBs that cannot allow this to happen?

I know, it's very annoying.

I've never (knowingly) left an MCB in that condition but it has sometimes taken a couple of goes to get the busbar into all the MCBs right.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/18 21:08, ARW wrote:
I spotted this

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:EICRMCB.jpg

5 year old installation.

Why not just make MCBs that cannot allow this to happen?

Third MCB from the right, the terminal on the very right is the RCD.

I was conscious of that... I opened mine right out first.

I *think* Hager might have a shield strip that makes this less likely
but I'd have to find a spare one and have a look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Insulated dentists mirrors are handy to have in your toolkit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 October 2018 15:00:37 UTC+1, Cynic wrote:
Insulated dentists mirrors are handy to have in your toolkit

They are.

Mine isn't insulated so I'm a bit more careful poking around with it. I've already lost one good pair of cutters to the cable fireworks syndrome.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/10/2018 15:00, Cynic wrote:
Insulated dentists mirrors are handy to have in your toolkit

TBH I first spotted it by looking at the front position of the MCB. It
just did not sit square with the other MCBs.

--
Adam