Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smart meter portability

SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/745729/Govt_response_Maximising_SMETS1_interoperability.p df
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/745729/Govt_response_Maximising_SMETS1_interoperability.p df

I understood that there was a further issue with the security of the
comms protocol even with SMETS2 meters and my speed reading this paper
did not seem to mention this.
Whilst I could imaging the SMETS2 meters being software upgradable to
meet the more secure comms requirement, it seems difficult to imagine
the SMETS1 meters that are migrated to DCC operation being capable of
software upgrades
Anyone know about this side of it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes we knew that two years ago and then all the companies suddenly tried to
fit their stock no doubt so the Gov would have to pay for the upgrades.
Nothing fitted here yet.
The big problem just as with the Railway debacle is communication between
the government bodies and the energy companies on the state of play on this.
They all went ahead with a half baked system and forgot stuff like
portability and accessibility of both hardware and software, and the result
as is usual, is a shambles.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/745729/Govt_response_Maximising_SMETS1_interoperability.p df

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

we knew that two years ago

Back then it was a consultation, yesterday's document says that the
suppliers' licences will be modified to make them do it, so by 18 months
time, losing smart functionality when changing supplier should be a
non-issue one way or another.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
Yes we knew that two years ago and then all the companies suddenly tried to
fit their stock no doubt so the Gov would have to pay for the upgrades.
Nothing fitted here yet.
The big problem just as with the Railway debacle is communication between
the government bodies and the energy companies on the state of play on this.
They all went ahead with a half baked system and forgot stuff like
portability and accessibility of both hardware and software, and the result
as is usual, is a shambles.
Brian

Spot on, a shambles indeed!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns explained on 05/10/2018 :
Back then it was a consultation, yesterday's document says that the
suppliers' licences will be modified to make them do it, so by 18 months
time, losing smart functionality when changing supplier should be a non-issue
one way or another.

So come this November and a supplier change, I will get my fourth pair
of smart meters, then yet another pair of replacement meters in
November 2019.. Will this be a record?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I will get my fourth pair of smart meters, then yet another pair of
replacement meters in November 2019

Why do you feel the need? I have let mine become dumb and they can stay
that way now, at the time I got them fitted I was usually out when the
meter reader called, now I'm not, the IHD still works so that saves me
from disturbing the spiders to take readings ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote :
Why do you feel the need? I have let mine become dumb and they can stay that
way now, at the time I got them fitted I was usually out when the meter
reader called, now I'm not, the IHD still works so that saves me from
disturbing the spiders to take readings ...

I have so far had the same model meters and IHD each time. The IHD
doesn't provide meter readings and most of its functionality fails, as
I swap suppliers. So each swap involves me in disturbing the spiders
for a while :')
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 07:42:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

I wonder what that will do to the cost/benefit figures.

The document quotes 5.7 billion to 2030 when last done in 2016 so
presumably excludes the costs of this SMETS1 to 2 upgrade. 5.7
billion from 2016 to 2030 is only 380 million/year...

The next cost/benefit is due in 2019.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2018 22:24, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 07:42:47 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

I wonder what that will do to the cost/benefit figures.

Do you mean how much it will cost us and how little benefit we receive?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 22:42:08 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or
replaced with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of

existing
SMs are expected to need replacing.

I wonder what that will do to the cost/benefit figures.

Do you mean how much it will cost us and how little benefit we receive?

Aye, as in other post the last cost/benefit analyais in 2016 came up
with a mere 380 million/year, bugger all in terms of Govermental
spending.

--
Cheers
Dave.