Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holding spectacle frame screws

Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the
frame by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small
that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the
hole they go in is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

What is best for holding the screw itself when putting it into the hole ?
Tweezers are what I was looking at getting, but did find one of those
things with 4 spring steel wires that come out of a cylinder when you
press a plunger
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv9k6n3m12..._1918.PNG?dl=0

and wondered if there is anything even better that say you can press
the head into a sticky plastic end but which doesn't have any of the
plastic come off into the slot or star hole when you pull it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/18 07:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 15:57:24 +1000, "samchunk"
wrote:

Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the
frame by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small
that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the
hole they go in is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

What is best for holding the screw itself when putting it into the hole ?
Tweezers are what I was looking at getting, but did find one of those
things with 4 spring steel wires that come out of a cylinder when you
press a plunger
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv9k6n3m12..._1918.PNG?dl=0

and wondered if there is anything even better that say you can press
the head into a sticky plastic end but which doesn't have any of the
plastic come off into the slot or star hole when you pull it off.

What you need is a watchmaker's or jeweller's set of very fine
screwdrivers, that probably have steel shafts and will pick up and
hold the screw by magnetism, allowing you to place it carefully into
position.

If you are going to have to do this more than once, Chris's suggestion
is definitely the way to go and it's worth shelling out for the right
kit. If it's a one-off quick fix you need, you might get away with
trimming a piece of paper to a convenient size and pushing the screw
through it so you can hold the paper with the screw in place with one
hand while you turn the screw with the other. Once you have a couple of
turns on the thread, tear the paper away.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2018 06:57, samchunk wrote:
Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the frame
by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small
that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the hole
they go in is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

What is best for holding the screw itself when putting it into the hole ?
Tweezers are what I was looking at getting, but did find one of those
things with 4 spring steel wires that come out of a cylinder when you
press a plunger https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv9k6n3m12..._1918.PNG?dl=0

and wondered if there is anything even better that say you can press the
head into a sticky plastic end but which doesn't have any of the plastic
come off into the slot or star hole when you pull it off.

As has been said, magnetise the screwdriver by stroking it on a magnet.

Plastic stuff is called Blutack but remove it once the screw has just
started to bite. You can often remove small bits of Blutack with a
larger blob of the same and getting them to join together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 05/10/2018, samchunk supposed :
and wondered if there is anything even better that say you can press the head
into a sticky plastic end but which doesn't have any of the plastic come off
into the slot or star hole when you pull it off.

I find a blob of warm, soft bluetack works well for most screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

[...]

Watching a Specsavers assistant fit a new screw to my old specs, I
discovered that their new screws have a long tail for handling purposes.
This is broken off once fitted. No help to the OP:-(

Not found in on line offerings. I use tweezers over a borrowed white tea
towel for the ping f--kit issues.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

?
[...]

Trouble is that the screw is very close to the metal of the arm and well
down from the edge of that in a way that the photo doesnt show very well
so the screw would be very close the corner of the paper. Worth trying tho.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt9g1b2vgv..._1922.JPG?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking more of a hard plastic stick with a sticky
end but that might not be sticky enough to get the
screw to engage the thread before removing the stick
and using a screwdriver to screw the screw in fully.

But maybe it would work to put the screwdriver
on the screw, put the blutack on to keep the screw
on the screwdriver and then it wouldnt really matter
if not all of the blutack came off after the screwdriver
is removed after tightening the screw because it
wouldnt be in the slot or hole in the screw head.

Makes you wonder how they do it in the factory.
No sign of a tail being snapped off and I can't
find anyone selling screws with tails. The original
is lost so it would be fine to replace it with one
with a tail and snap it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2018 11:37, samchunk wrote:

For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Magnetise them yourself

Just stroke the screwdriver repeatedly in one direction over any magnet.
I have both the magnet from the back of a speaker and a couple from a
defunct hard drive for such purposes but any magnet will do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 05/10/2018 11:37, samchunk wrote:

For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Magnetise them yourself

Just stroke the screwdriver repeatedly in one direction over any magnet.
I have both the magnet from the back of a speaker and a couple from a
defunct hard drive for such purposes but any magnet will do

But you do have to wonder why they arent supplied magnetised.
Maybe there isnt enough metal at the tip to be viable with the
smallest tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have a screwdriver magetiser. Magnetise when I need it, demiagnetise
when I don't. Works well on my jeweller's screwdrivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

samchunk wrote:

But you do have to wonder why they arent supplied magnetised.

a lot of watch-maker tools are advertised as anti-magnetic, so
presumably magnetic screwdrivers are a "do not want"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

samchunk explained on 05/10/2018 :
For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Attach a small magnet to the shaft and the magnetism will pick up steel
screws at the tip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/18 06:57, samchunk wrote:
Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the frame
by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small
that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the hole
they go in is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

It's easiest to put the screw in the 'hoop' when the two halves are
apart, then offer them together.

If that isn't working while the lens is in place you can often put the
screw partly in, push the lens in and then nip it up.

Or another cheat (if you aren't precious about using the same screw) is
to use a much too long screw*, much easier to handle, get it all
tightened up, lever the protruding screw and it will normally snap off
relatively clean.

*Email me your address and i'll send you a couple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
samchunk explained on 05/10/2018 :
For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Attach a small magnet to the shaft and the magnetism will pick up steel
screws at the tip.

Duh, thanks for that, I'm getting more stupid by the day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
news
On 05/10/18 06:57, samchunk wrote:
Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the frame
by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small
that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the hole
they go in is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

It's easiest to put the screw in the 'hoop' when the two halves are apart,
then offer them together.

Yeah, thats what I did, but since the 'hoop' is well down from
the edge of the side bar, even that was very fiddly to do.

If that isn't working while the lens is in place you can often put the
screw partly in, push the lens in and then nip it up.

Or another cheat (if you aren't precious about using the same screw) is to
use a much too long screw*, much easier to handle, get it all tightened
up, lever the protruding screw and it will normally snap off relatively
clean.

*Email me your address and i'll send you a couple.

The set of spare screws I got from aliexpress has lots like that thanks.
And since the screws go in upside down, with the head down when
the glasses are worn, it would be easy to dremel off the extra length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, might as well get one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
samchunk wrote:

But you do have to wonder why they arent supplied magnetised.

a lot of watch-maker tools are advertised as anti-magnetic,

Yeah, particularly with tweezers.

so presumably magnetic screwdrivers are a "do not want"?

Spose so when used with watches and clocks. Easy enough
to magnetise them now that its know to work well from Bob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 12:32:21 +1000, samchunk wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
samchunk explained on 05/10/2018 :
For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Attach a small magnet to the shaft and the magnetism will pick up steel
screws at the tip.

Duh, thanks for that, I'm getting more stupid by the day.

Along the lines of Blutac etc. that 'hi-tec snot' used to glue together the
edges of mailshots or, once upon a time, CDs to mags., works well - a bit
stickier than Blutac with less pressing in needed. It can be rolled off of
the paper to form a nice little bogey.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 12:32:21 +1000, samchunk wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
samchunk explained on 05/10/2018 :
For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using
jewellers magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe
the shafts are too fine to work well like that or something.

Attach a small magnet to the shaft and the magnetism will pick up steel
screws at the tip.

Duh, thanks for that, I'm getting more stupid by the day.

Along the lines of Blutac etc. that 'hi-tec snot' used to glue together
the
edges of mailshots or, once upon a time, CDs to mags., works well - a bit
stickier than Blutac with less pressing in needed. It can be rolled off of
the paper to form a nice little bogey.

Yeah, forgot about that stuff. I usually get it on replacement credit/debit
cards now. Thanks for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

I have a screwdriver magetiser. Magnetise when I need it, demiagnetise
when I don't. Works well on my jeweller's screwdrivers.

I find that a magnetised screwdriver usually has the wrong polarity
for the screw (or for the thing the screw is to be screwed into, if it
is metal) - and this results in the screw aligning itself at a jaunty
angle to the desired direction!

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes

I have a screwdriver magetiser. Magnetise when I need it, demiagnetise
when I don't. Works well on my jeweller's screwdrivers.

I find that a magnetised screwdriver usually has the wrong polarity
for the screw (or for the thing the screw is to be screwed into, if it is
metal) - and this results in the screw aligning itself at a jaunty angle
to the desired direction!

Why can't you just magnetise the screwdriver the other way around ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , samchunk
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes

I have a screwdriver magetiser. Magnetise when I need it, demiagnetise
when I don't. Works well on my jeweller's screwdrivers.

I find that a magnetised screwdriver usually has the wrong polarity
for the screw (or for the thing the screw is to be screwed into, if
it is metal) - and this results in the screw aligning itself at a
jaunty angle to the desired direction!

Why can't you just magnetise the screwdriver the other way around ?

First you need to have a suitable magnet about your person.

If you DO re-magnetise the screwdriver, next time you use it Sod's law
dictates that it will again be 'the wrong way round'.
--
Ian