Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bamboo Cups, plates, trays etc.

The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first
saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in other shops
on the high street.

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine. No sign
of the original bamboo structure etc.

I'm curious how they are made.

One, obvious, idea is making the bamboo into a fine sawdust, mixing with
a bonding agent, and forming the items.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine.

The bamboo socks don't look like bamboo either, they break the cellulose
down chemically then make rayon from it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:02:06 +0200, Brian Reay wrote:

The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first
saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in other shops
on the high street.

Bamboo plates and cups seems like a totally barmy idea to me. Those of us
who remember the late 70s fad for "chicken in a basket" pub meals will no
doubt also remember the number of food poisoning cases that stupid idea
gave rise to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Bamboo plates and cups seems like a totally barmy idea to me. Those of us
who remember the late 70s fad for "chicken in a basket" pub meals

They are nothing like woven from strips of bamboo ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:02:06 +0200, Brian Reay wrote:

The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first
saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in other shops
on the high street.

Bamboo plates and cups seems like a totally barmy idea to me. Those of us
who remember the late 70s fad for "chicken in a basket" pub meals will no
doubt also remember the number of food poisoning cases that stupid idea
gave rise to.

That was the excess quantity of Watneys Red Barrel, Double Diamond etc beer
that the customers of establishments that served such abortions also
slugged back while the missis sat meekly with a snowball or perry .For many
it was their first experiences of eating out apart from their wedding
and the odd funeral and the hand washing facilities in pub toilets were
still the slice of green soap cut of a slab of the stuff and a roller
towel if you were lucky standard, and many blokes never washed their hands
anyway.
Then came the first trips abroad and feeling sophisticated on their return
the blokes started to neck back foreign sounding Lagers produced in Luton
,Warrington etc while the missus got stuck into wine from a box.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 20:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine.

The bamboo socks don't look like bamboo either, they break the cellulose
down chemically then make rayon from it

Interesting, there maybe a chemical process used to make the plates etc.

We've some, unwanted, bamboo in the garden- it spreads from next door-
the stuff grows at a remarkable rate. If you can utilise it, it would be
a fantastic source of raw material. (Not on the garden scale!)

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 20:46, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:02:06 +0200, Brian Reay wrote:

The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first
saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in other shops
on the high street.

Bamboo plates and cups seems like a totally barmy idea to me. Those of us
who remember the late 70s fad for "chicken in a basket" pub meals will no
doubt also remember the number of food poisoning cases that stupid idea
gave rise to.

As Andy has pointed out, totally different beasts. These look like
plastic. Smooth to the touch, not shiny. Actually quite attractive- not
cheap looking.

We've not bought any although senior management did seem to like the
trays and I'd not be surprised if one is bought before long.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:29:11 +0200, Brian Reay wrote:

As Andy has pointed out, totally different beasts. These look like
plastic. Smooth to the touch, not shiny. Actually quite attractive- not
cheap looking.

We've not bought any although senior management did seem to like the
trays and I'd not be surprised if one is bought before long.

I recently bought a PiDP-8 kit, and they guy who made them up sourced
custom cases for them, made from bamboo. Just light coloured, smooth,
light wood!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 19:02, Brian Reay wrote:
The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first
saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in other shops
on the high street.

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine. No sign
of the original bamboo structure etc.

I'm curious how they are made.

One, obvious, idea is making the bamboo into a fine sawdust, mixing with
a bonding agent, and forming the items.

Bamboo kitchen worktops look nice, it was a toss-up between that and
Iroko recently.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 22:46, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:29:11 +0200, Brian Reay wrote:

As Andy has pointed out, totally different beasts. These look like
plastic. Smooth to the touch, not shiny. Actually quite attractive- not
cheap looking.

We've not bought any although senior management did seem to like the
trays and I'd not be surprised if one is bought before long.

I recently bought a PiDP-8 kit, and they guy who made them up sourced
custom cases for them, made from bamboo. Just light coloured, smooth,
light wood!

I can see it being ideal for that kind of front panel/case etc. I
wouldn't have called it wood unless I knew it was bamboo- the items I've
seen are more like a plastic.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message news
The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups, plates, trays etc
I've seen for sale on various places. I think I first saw them in the Eden Project gift
shop but I've seen them in other shops on the high street.

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine. No sign of the
original bamboo structure etc.

I'm curious how they are made.

Moulded layers of bamboo veneer,

With plates and trays its fairly easily done with just a mold top and bottom and
sufficiently
high pressure.

Cups are probably mouded from various shapes which are arranged into the negative
mold by hand.

The various shapes are probably cut out ot the sheets of veneer with lasers to similar
degreee of precision as are to be found in the clothing industry.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2018 11:18, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 16/09/2018 19:02, Brian Reay wrote:
The thread on Bamboo scaffolding reminded me of some Bamboo cups,
plates, trays etc I've seen for sale on various places. I think I
first saw them in the Eden Project gift shop but I've seen them in
other shops on the high street.

They aren't obviously made from bamboo, they look like melamine. No
sign of the original bamboo structure etc.

I'm curious how they are made.

One, obvious, idea is making the bamboo into a fine sawdust, mixing
with a bonding agent, and forming the items.

Bamboo kitchen worktops look nice, it was a toss-up between that and
Iroko recently.

Assuming they are made of the same stuff (composition/finish) as the
trays/plates I've seen, I quite believe it- they would be similar to the
composite worktops that look like plain marble etc.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 19:29, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

There are bamboo pet dishes about some of which claim to have an
'anti-bac' quality, probably the more expensive ones. although they
don't say where this function comes from. You can't take too much
hygiene care when dealing with pets, it too easy to, say, catch fleas
from dogs, etc.

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 12:16, Martin wrote:

I wear BORU bamboo socks.

Probably Rayon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_textile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 09:13, Spike wrote:

There are bamboo pet dishes about some of which claim to have an
'anti-bac' quality, probably the more expensive ones. although they
don't say where this function comes from.

What is wrong with stainless steel pet dishes that can be easily cleaned?