UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2018
Posts: 71
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.

It was fine when parked up around three weeks ago. The battery is
fine, the lights and other electrics work but there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.

Anyone had this?

I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?


Regards

AB


  #2   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,874
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

On 16/09/2018 13:45, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.


The engine warning light may be on normally until the engine is started.

there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.


The key has lost contact with the immobiliser receiver. Have you got a
spare key to try?

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #3   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 36,449
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.


It was fine when parked up around three weeks ago. The battery is
fine, the lights and other electrics work but there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.


Have you checked the battery volts under a decent load - like say
headlights on?

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.


Anyone had this?


I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?


Did this warning message only appear after the car was parked up?


Regards


AB


--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #4   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2018
Posts: 71
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:02:58 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 16/09/2018 13:45, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.


The engine warning light may be on normally until the engine is started.

there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.


The key has lost contact with the immobiliser receiver. Have you got a
spare key to try?


The key opens the door remotely, so I assume that contact is made.

Some warning lights go off, none of the engine ones though.

AB
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,824
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:02:58 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 16/09/2018 13:45, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.


The engine warning light may be on normally until the engine is started.

there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.


The key has lost contact with the immobiliser receiver. Have you got a
spare key to try?


The key opens the door remotely, so I assume that contact is made.


That’s a different system to the immobiliser though. That usually involves
a RFID chip build into the key (along with the unlocking stuff).


Some warning lights go off, none of the engine ones though.


Doesn’t sound good. Might not be anything major, just a major pain to find
the cause.

Tim


--
Please don't feed the trolls


  #6   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,848
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq brought next idea :
The key opens the door remotely, so I assume that contact is made.


That is part of a completely separate system, nothing to do with the
immobiliser or ignition.
  #7   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2018
Posts: 71
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:06:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.


It was fine when parked up around three weeks ago. The battery is
fine, the lights and other electrics work but there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.


Have you checked the battery volts under a decent load - like say
headlights on?


No, I'm not sure where the DMM is, but i have every confidence the
battery is fine, headlights are bright and dont show any marked
reduction when wipers are started. The started appears to be inhibited
as there is no trace of a clunk when the key is rotated.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.


Anyone had this?


I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?


Did this warning message only appear after the car was parked up?


Yes. Although I had the engine management light come on six months
back. The engine ran rough when first started. This happened twice. I
thought it might be plugs as my first Focus had a similar problem and
the plugs were disintegrating. No Engine or Transmission messages
though.

As usual when the fault cleared, I forgot about it.

Thanks for the reply


AB

  #8   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 36,449
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Have you checked the battery volts under a decent load - like say
headlights on?


No, I'm not sure where the DMM is, but i have every confidence the
battery is fine, headlights are bright and dont show any marked
reduction when wipers are started.


That sounds a good enough check.

The started appears to be inhibited
as there is no trace of a clunk when the key is rotated.


Right.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.


Anyone had this?


I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?


Did this warning message only appear after the car was parked up?


Yes. Although I had the engine management light come on six months
back. The engine ran rough when first started. This happened twice. I
thought it might be plugs as my first Focus had a similar problem and
the plugs were disintegrating. No Engine or Transmission messages
though.


As usual when the fault cleared, I forgot about it.


Not sure about your car - but many of these check engine etc lights don't
stop an attempted start.

As has been said, many cars have a chip in the key which communicates with
one in the lock - to disable the immobiliser. Totally separate from the
remote locking - and doesn't even need the fob battery. Have you got a
second key you could try?

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #9   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2018
Posts: 71
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:45:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Have you checked the battery volts under a decent load - like say
headlights on?


No, I'm not sure where the DMM is, but i have every confidence the
battery is fine, headlights are bright and dont show any marked
reduction when wipers are started.


That sounds a good enough check.

The started appears to be inhibited
as there is no trace of a clunk when the key is rotated.


Right.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.

Anyone had this?

I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?

Did this warning message only appear after the car was parked up?


Yes. Although I had the engine management light come on six months
back. The engine ran rough when first started. This happened twice. I
thought it might be plugs as my first Focus had a similar problem and
the plugs were disintegrating. No Engine or Transmission messages
though.


As usual when the fault cleared, I forgot about it.


Not sure about your car - but many of these check engine etc lights don't
stop an attempted start.

As has been said, many cars have a chip in the key which communicates with
one in the lock - to disable the immobiliser. Totally separate from the
remote locking - and doesn't even need the fob battery. Have you got a
second key you could try?


Unfortunately not.

I would have thought that the message would not be specific to both
engine and transmission though, if it were a fob problem.

Regards

AB
  #10   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 03:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 8,329
Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 13:45:18 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.

It was fine when parked up around three weeks ago. The battery is
fine, the lights and other electrics work but there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.

Anyone had this?

I had trouble with electrics on my Fiat, I got the impression that the
only solution was a main dealer. Is this the case with the Ford, or
can independents sort problems efficiently now?


Regards

AB


sounds like you need an OBD2 scanner


NT


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Focus headlight motor - changing David.WE.Roberts UK diy 13 March 5th 13 05:06 PM
Transmission line stuff - transmission line.asc John Fields Electronic Schematics 1 December 12th 10 07:26 PM
high side sensor transmission using pnp string - pnp string for high-side sensing transmission.pdf (1/1) legg Electronic Schematics 0 May 3rd 08 06:09 AM
high side sensor transmission using pnp string - pnp string for high-side sensing transmission.pdf (0/1) legg Electronic Schematics 0 May 3rd 08 06:09 AM
2005 Ford Transmission PRNDL Logic... need help please. Thomas Electronics Repair 2 April 2nd 05 11:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017