Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ford Focus "Engine fault" and "Transmission fault"

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
Not usually apparent from your generally inciteful & largely BS
posts...

I wonder if, having tapped the collective's knowledge, you might
change your general approach?...hehe

I'd recommend you do as if not, the next time should hopefully be
a stone "feck off" wall...

Wonder where the forum netcops are when actually needed?

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
Have you looked for a *Focus* forum? There is usually lots of knowledge
on obscure faults with specific models.

Yes, the obvious ones were designed no doubt to extract cash.

I found few answers and on a lot a popup would flash up to reveal a
nice helpful Ford expert willing to provide advice. Probably the same
expert that becomes an instant doctor or vet then comes up to provide
medical or vetinary advice on other sites. If I had the patience a
track of the sites would no doubt be revealing.

If there is one, I'd try the forum of the Ford Focus car club. Or Ford
club which includes them. Ordinary forums for a model often seem more
concerned with which polish is best, rather than understanding the oily
bits.

I have nothing against paying for services or even advice, but a DIY
group beats anything commercial hands down for the simple reason the
contributors have a genuine interest in the topic and the primary
concern isn't moneymaking.

A keen hobbyist often has a broader knowledge of a product than a pro.
Especially these days where garages only believe what the computer says.

Something that escapes the idiots in power who assume that there is no
other incentive apart from cash.

Quite. Value for money seems a dirty word these days.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have nothing against paying for services or even advice, but a DIY
group beats anything commercial hands down for the simple reason the
contributors have a genuine interest in the topic and the primary
concern isn't moneymaking.

Be worth posting to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Quite a few knowledgeable people there, with a recent thread about Focus
woes.

The signal to noise ratio there is way superior to here.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 16 September 2018 13:45:18 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.

It was fine when parked up around three weeks ago. The battery is
fine, the lights and other electrics work but there is no attempt to
turn the engine over.

I dissed the battery and the fault is still there.

Anyone had this?

Regards

AB

Did you push the clutch pedal while trying to start it?

What kind of eejit would forget to do that?

BTDTGTTS. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 23:14:59 -0000 (UTC), Mark wrote:

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Just attempted to fire up the Focus hatchback, manual with a zetec
engine. It wont start presumably because the transmission and engine
warning message is displayed.

One of our customer's had this happen to a focus outside our pub
alarm warning light and engine would not turn over but everything else seemed to work ok
the AA turned up and fixed it within a few minutes well ask what they did when I next see them

Many thanks, I would appreciate it.

I have one of these OBD things on order, so perhaps it will allow an
alarm reset.

apparently it happened twice first time outside pub AA replaced fuse which had blown
second time some weeks later car had to be towed to Ford dealer by AA for fix
but they dont know what was replaced
so check fuses first

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 14:23, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Some warning lights go off, none of the engine ones though.

Just to confirm:
On my 2017 focus the engine warning light and the oil pressure light
stay on until the engine is started.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 00:08, Mark wrote:
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

apparently it happened twice first time outside pub AA replaced fuse which had blown#

Remember when checking fuses there are 2 or 3 fuse panels on a Ford Focus
i) Engine compartment
ii) Passenger footwell (or on older models behind the glove box)
iii) In the boot (unlikely to have any fuse functionality to stop the
car from starting)

On-line UK manuals giving fuse functionality
https://secure.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
apparently it happened twice first time outside pub AA replaced fuse
which had blown second time some weeks later car had to be towed to
Ford dealer by AA for fix but they dont know what was replaced so check
fuses first

If it's anything like the earlier Escort, the fuse box itself gave
problems - even although it looked well made.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:41:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
apparently it happened twice first time outside pub AA replaced fuse
which had blown second time some weeks later car had to be towed to
Ford dealer by AA for fix but they dont know what was replaced so check
fuses first

If it's anything like the earlier Escort, the fuse box itself gave
problems - even although it looked well made.

Thanks, the diagnostic unit should be here tomorrow, so I will give
that a go first.

I had loads of fun with vehicle electrics on my Fiat, the loom was
impossible to follow so I ended up rewiring odd bits.

Vehicle electrics are a pain!

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 20:36, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Vehicle electrics are a pain!

AB

The worst electrics if had on a car was on a Spanish built Vauxhall Nova.

All the plastic bits holding the mating halves of the spade/receptacle
connectors were made of some soft cheese like substance so when the car
was assembled the spade didn't mate properly with the receptacle as it
moved back through the plastic when the forced became to great. I had a
few faults where the fix was to remake the connection by just using a
screwdriver to prevent one side of the connector moving whilst pushing
on the other half.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 20:36:50 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Vehicle electrics are a pain!

AB

at least with one of mine there were no fuses to worry about.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
The worst electrics if had on a car was on a Spanish built Vauxhall Nova.

My vote would go to a Vauxhall (Bedford) HA van I once had. Super vehicle
- apart from the Delco electrics. Dizzy, alternator and starter motor all
broke at low miles. Made me actually appreciate Lucas stuff. ;-)

--
wife.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:03:01 +0100, T i m wrote:

Then you have to try to see if the codes that are coming up are
anything to do with the fault that's actually causing you issues.

Thanks for the info. The thing came through today. Unfortunately the
laptop reported seeing the interface, but not the vehicle.

I tried it on the company Mazda too, it seems to recognise that there
was a vehicle on the end, but didn't idetify it.

I sent a message to the seller, but it looks like I'm stuck with the
companies heap for a while. At least at 76mpg, it's cheaper to run
than the Focus. There isn't much else going for it though.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:41:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
apparently it happened twice first time outside pub AA replaced fuse
which had blown second time some weeks later car had to be towed to
Ford dealer by AA for fix but they dont know what was replaced so check
fuses first

If it's anything like the earlier Escort, the fuse box itself gave
problems - even although it looked well made.

Thanks, the diagnostic unit should be here tomorrow, so I will give
that a go first.

if you do get it fixed would be helpful if you could post what needed doing
as my cousin has a Focas and looking online this seems quite common on older
cars.

-